• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

NV4500 rebuild

here are some pics of the internalls of the tranny and some of the worn parts on mine.
1) worn input shaft snout
2) the start of pitting on some of the gears
3) the nut that holds the dampner on to the tail shaft
4 5) the dampner
6) the counter shaft
7) the main shaft
8 9) worn output spiles on the main shaft (the ones that go into the the T case)
10) wear on the syncro teeth

Attachments

• DSC00395.jpg
    DSC00395.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC00397.jpg
    DSC00397.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC00411.jpg
    DSC00411.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC00412.jpg
    DSC00412.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC00414.jpg
    DSC00414.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC00415.jpg
    DSC00415.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC00416.jpg
    DSC00416.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC00419.jpg
    DSC00419.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC00422.jpg
    DSC00422.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC00426.jpg
    DSC00426.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 24
I would use that counter shaft,especialy if it's a New Venture part,a new one will be made overseas. The input shaft in my 97 has big chunks missing from the gear,but I reused it since it is a Haisly Machine billit one. I did get a new countershaft,I think it was $280.

i dont think there is any thing wrong with the counter shaft i posted that pic just for peoples viewing pleasure thats about the only part that isnt wore from what i can see

i know this thread is a few months old, i just registered due to this thread. i have a 92 chevy 1500 4x4 with the nv4500 and it went kaput. so instead of buying a new or referb, i was looking into rebuild myself. how bad is it. im no perfessional, but i do know my way around a wrench. built a few engines in my time, among other things. so yeah any help on the pain factor would be nice.

i just finished it all up this past weekend and its not to bad as long as you dont have to take the mainshaft apart.

what is wrong with yours?

it ran low on fluid, and might need more than a standard rebuid. cruzin down the road at 65 when i could smell it getting super hot and then i went (bang), clutch when in instantly and rolled in to neutral. stopped, slid into 2nd to see what was wrong and i heard a few parts rattling. so it might be supper toast. need to drop it and tare into it to find out.

well i guess i would say you broke something serious. i would pull the top cover off once you get it down and see what went wrong but im going to guess to broke something important like the mainshaft or counter shaft. maybe you will be lucky and all it broke is the input shaft.

finally got the trans out, and from what i can see all i need is an input shaft and bearing. but the next thing is, how the hell do i get it out of there lol.

trans pulled
downsized_1115101142.jpg

ugly stick, litterally..
1115101609.jpg

How do the rest of the gears and the mainshaft look, look closely at the syncro rings and make sure the the teeth arent rounded over.

theres a few more things that need replaced. found a 89 k2500 gasser with manual trans for a parts truck, just waiting on a price right now. probably end up just throwing that trans in it for now to get me through the winter and what not.

that might not be the same tranny. i had a 92 k2500 gasser that was an nv3500 and im not sure when they started using that tranny but i think there where others that they used as well

my 92 has the nv4500. but what ever was just before that is whats in the 89. not sure of the name, looks a little bit different. but looks like everthing is the same so should bolt in for now till i can get a real good trans built.

yeah its not that trans i know. i know what that one looks like. a junk yard near me had one and they thought it was the 4500 till i schooled them in what i knew about it lol.

time to bring back a thread from the dead, picked me up a rebuilt 94 nv4500 that came out of a 3/4 ton diesel. install tomorrow, and i can drive my pickup for the first time in just over a year. YAY!

Back