• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

NV4500 rebuild

chevyCowboy

I might be crazy but i ain't dumb
Reaction score
any one ever rebuild one are there any specialty tools required? my buddy rebuilds allisons and used to do big truck trannies hes ganna help. i found a Motive Gear master rebuild kit on ebay for $200. anyone ever heard of them? good products??

All new parts for the nv4500 are made overseas,the only special tool we used on mine was a flat tip snap ring pliers, a bearing puller might be needed on the counter shaft bearings if your reusing the shaft,.There is also a tool for the 5th gear nut ,I just used a huge pipe wrench,and tightend a little more with a punch and hammer ,this was the updated nut for the dodge mainshaft,the chevy has a smaller main shaft,and nut,also the chevys dont seem to have a problem with it,I also cryo treated all the weakest parts.Motive gear makes decent rear end gears,main thing to look for would be timken bearings,and some kits use brass synchronizers instead of the lined ones,they shift harder but you can use 80/90 gear oil with them,and they are cheaper. With the right gear oil and the lined syncronizers they shift like a car.

Last edited:
In your other NV4500 threads, 625fireman & Packratt bring up good points to check out the input shaft/pilot bearing & front bearing retainer.

As the pilot bearing fails, it can damage the input shaft where they fit together. Next supporting bearing is in the front bearing retainer. Also good to be sure the outer surface the throw-out bearing rides on is smooth/not buggered up.

The the special/specific lube called for relates directly to the synchronizer lining as 6.2 turbo mentions. The trans synchronizers original in our NV4500's have a type of carbon lining/friction surface that needs whatever special friction modifier that's in the Castrol Syntorq. I've run into this relationship in another trans & the correct gear oil does make 'em shift better (and most probably keeps 'em shifting better by prolonging synch life). Supposed to significantly enhance how quickly the synch surfaces coming together can match the 2 gear speeds. I believe it from the difference in how a trans w/ the correct gear oil & these carbon lined synchs shifts - vs - reg or synth gear oil w/o the right friction modifier.

Would expect both Amsoil & Redline also understand this & can offer the right stuff. If memory serves, Redline's solution is/was using a mix of 2 of their products.

The Quad4x4.com site has good NV4500 info. The 5th gear nut issue seems to be much more common in the Dodge spec NV4500 behind the Cummins.

If you go thru your NV4500, please take some pics.

Last edited:
quite spendy tho. like i saidd my buddy is a tranny tech and is willing to help me he can get the rebuild kit through his work for about 400 i was hopeing to save alittle if these kits i found on ebay are quality stuff

Transparts Wharehouse is where I got my stuff. Good price and good parts, about 40k on my own rebuild, using thier kit.

Transparts Wharehouse is where I got my stuff. Good price and good parts, about 40k on my own rebuild, using thier kit.

how hard was it? i really dont want to put a new clutch and motor in and still be having to double clutch or glide it into second all the time.
where there any special tools that you needed?
did you happen to buy a book on it? if so would you be willing to let me borrow it?:D

I didnt think it was hard at all BUT I was trained on rebuilding roadrangers and such. But I still dont think it was bad at all. If you can wrench you can do this. The only book I used was the GM manual for my 1994 truck. It is the red and white books. There are 3 different books. I dont remember which book its in but I can check it out for you. They are on stealbay once in a while or maybe some one close has ones you can borrow. If need be I can send you copies of the pages you would need. I had 2 sets for a 94 but gavev one set to Justin. (help abrother out II )

I didnt think it was hard at all BUT I was trained on rebuilding roadrangers and such. But I still dont think it was bad at all. If you can wrench you can do this. The only book I used was the GM manual for my 1994 truck. It is the red and white books. There are 3 different books. I dont remember which book its in but I can check it out for you. They are on stealbay once in a while or maybe some one close has ones you can borrow. If need be I can send you copies of the pages you would need. I had 2 sets for a 94 but gavev one set to Justin. (help abrother out II )

so where there any special tools required?

so where there any special tools required?

Sorry didnt answer this one oops.............Depends. As someone else posted use a pipe wrench or big channel locks on the spanner nut on the output shaft. Unless you have the dampner then I dont think you can get on the nut to turn it on or off.

SmithvilleD great finds.....

droped the tranny yesterday. what does this counter weight look like and where would it be located i looked in the end of the tail housing and all i see is the output shaft with and a bearing

Here are some pics gathered from the 'net.

My understanding is the later trucks that got SMF's OEM got this damper. Quad4x4 sells them.

Was also told to ask at dedicated trans shops as they might have one laying around/scavenged, etc.

Attachments

• nv4500%20parts%20033.jpg
    nv4500%20parts%20033.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 17
  • rear_pic_dampener.JPG
    rear_pic_dampener.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 22
  • side_pic_dampener.JPG
    side_pic_dampener.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 21
  • tailhousing_over_dampener.JPG
    tailhousing_over_dampener.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 19
With some trans, you can pull the shift forks & then put it into 2 gears at the same time to hold things locked to tighten a nut.

I'm not saying this is safe to do w/ the NV4500 as I haven't been into one yet. Just mentioning as a possible solution.

Back