• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Not your average Dually project....

Doug and I got some more progress done last night. Shortening the control arms fixed my wheel fitment problems. Started cutting the driver wheel well out for the tire to pass through and realized that I needed more room that I originally thought. Ended up taking the door off and had to remove the lower door hinge for tire clearance. Later on we will have to move the hinge up to clear the tire.

But as of last night, we are within 2 inch of it from laying out flat. The upper ball joint is now maxed out and is limiting any more travel up into the body. Here are a few pictures from last night.

Attachments

• Front 1.jpg
    Front 1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Front 2.jpg
    Front 2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 4
I still need to trim a bit more, this is just the test fit at the moment. I'll be able to turn a little bit while driving low. For harder turning, i will have to air up the suspension.

I got a bit more movement of the wheel up into the wheel well last night. I need to keep cutting until it fits. I also got the transmission out last night, so now i'm just waiting to pull the trans, wiring, and drive line out of the other van

Attachments

• DSCN2281.jpg
    DSCN2281.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN2278.jpg
    DSCN2278.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 3
For an update, I got the ECU, harness, and drive line out of my donor van last night. It took a while, but it all came out nicely. The plan is to bolt the 4L80E trans in along with the ECU/harness and it should work like factory. I've got my fingers crossed

If your putting subs in this, I would suggest a long console type box with subs downfiring and a lexan window on the top. Something like 4 12's should do the trick.

I already have a plan for a system... Minimum it includes 2 15" and possibly 2 12", 4 6.5" components, and about 6000 + watts. Ill post some pics after I order the parts and start installing everything

Well I just got back from Vegas, first actual break from work in a long time. The bus..... we have got a lot done since I posted last. Doug and I took lots of measurements on the front suspension and cross member.... we found that the cross member was 4" +/- lower than the rockers. The conclusion to this problem was to pull the front end off, pull the engine, and pull the suspension cross member out to modify it.

After pulling lots of measurements, Doug was able to section 3" out of the cross member. It fought us going back in, but a little help with a big hammer it's now back in and bolted in place. The 3 lower bolt on each side are used to hold the cross member up and in place. The rest will be plated and welded in place to regain the strength back. With the control arms and spindles back in place, we test fit the wheels and had to cut even more. When the cutting finally stopped, we realized that there is no room for a lower door hinge for the driver door. So the solution....... suicide the door.

While the engine was out, I did all the preventative maintenance that you never want to do while an engine is in a van. The front main was starting to leak so... front/rear mains, oil pan gasket, oil pump, thermostat w/ gasket, water pump, exhaust manifold gaskets, plugs, wires, cap/rotor, and timing set were all done. This way I shouldn't have to worry about anything for a while.

Here are a few pictures of the progress.

Attachments

• DSCN2356.jpg
    DSCN2356.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN2350.jpg
    DSCN2350.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN2358.jpg
    DSCN2358.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 6
Trust me Devin, I need the help. So much to do in so little time. Got some more done tonight... The driver side wheel tub is in, got the pass side trimmed more for the tire, and got the pass side control arms bolted back in place. The suicide door kit also arrived!

Attachments

• DSCN2464.jpg
    DSCN2464.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN2465.jpg
    DSCN2465.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 5
Back