• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Not your average Dually project....

07HDClassic

Reaction score
I recently bought a 1989 Chevy Van/Blue Bird 1 Ton Short Bus. I wanted to do something different for a change. I have my bagged 1997 Chevy S10, a lifted 2007 Silverado, and a solid axled 1982 Datsun 720.....

So now, Im going to cut this bus up and install air suspension, 4-link, custom seating, custom stereo, and a new paint job. I want to be able to drive around town and have everyone be amazed and confused at the same time.

Here are a few picture of the rig and some of the progress of dismantling the interior.

Attachments

• DSCN1681.jpg
    DSCN1681.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN1724.jpg
    DSCN1724.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN1684.jpg
    DSCN1684.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN1725.jpg
    DSCN1725.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 5
S'cool bus....that's a like.....

Oughta be a cool project :thumbsup:. I like the one off types of vehicles like that. Keep us posted on how you do it. Keep the pics coming of it as you go.
Thanks for sharing this.
Stay safe out there.
Ken

For an update... I ordered all the parts for the air suspension yesterday and it should be here in about a week, then its time to have some fun. I ordered 4 link w/ brackets, rear bags, front bags, fittings, airline, valves, air tank, 2 compressors, switchbox, and all the misc brackets and hardware.

It's going to be a long haul, but I'm trying to get it done for a friends High School Prom. So with the help of some friends and all the guys from the car club we're going to see what we can do.

Awesome!!

Don't you have a 67 C10 to fix? ;)

Yes I do have a 67 Chevy truck, but thats going to be a long project and it's going to be a full frame off resto. And yes Dave, I still have to finish the datsun as well... I acquired some new parts for the Datsun, like a Dana 60, SM465, and NP203/205. But the bus is going to be done first for the car show season and to get our car club name out there....

As for an update on the bus... 6 large boxes of parts came in on Thursday, haven't opened them cause i was gone for the weekend. I'll open them up and post some pictures soon

It has a TBI 350. I still need to put a fuel pump in it, it will run off of a bottle but not by it self yet. And I think the odometer is correct at 61k miles, so thats a plus

Well we started working on the bus this week, and we got quite a bit done.

New name for it: Project Busted

The rear frame rails have been modified with a 10" C-notch to allow the axle to come up into the frame area to lay the bus on the ground. It now has a Parallel 4-link with panhard bar with the bags over the axle. This will allow me to lay the rockers of the bus flat on the ground on a 29.5" tall tire. The front has been disassembled, control arms, coils, and spindles have been removed. While i had the lower control arms out, I decided to replace the ball joints. Now were are waiting on some 3" drop spindles and some upper bag cups then the front can go back together.

Here are a few pictures of the progress that has been done up to last night.

Attachments

• DSCN1986.jpg
    DSCN1986.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN2007.jpg
    DSCN2007.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN2014.jpg
    DSCN2014.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN1982.jpg
    DSCN1982.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN1971.jpg
    DSCN1971.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 6
Looks like a fun project to work on with the boys! Keep the pictures coming. You will for sure get some look when that bus is rolling down the road! Good luck!

I think it needs a 6.2 0r 6.5 in it :hihi: . Great looking project though! I always wanted a sweet short bus project.

6.5L would be cool but engine swaps are not fun on vans. No new pictures yet, it's still sitting on jackstands. Still waiting on spindles and need to modify the lower control arms.

I couldnt resist... I went and opened my wallet and bought a 4 eagle alloy 058 wheels, caps, lugnuts, and 6 215-65r16 tires. They will be here on Wednesday!

Well guys.... between Doug (a friend/fabricator) and I, we have got a bit more done. The rear suspension is done except for shocks. Still need to trim the inside panels of the bus to fit the outer duals on. I got my 3" drop spindles and we ended up modifying the lower control arms to accept the bags. We took 8" well casing and created a larger bag cup instead of the coil pocket. I needed the bag to be able to sit lower in the control arm in order for it to lay out lower. Everything went well, I put the new spindles and hub together so I could test fit the wheels.... They didn't fit :mad2: They tire contacted the inside of the wheel well.

They don't make any other offset for these wheels so the other option was to shorten the upper and lower control arms. Doug ended up taking 1 inch out of the lowers and plated them for reinforcement. He took 1 inch out of the uppers, re-angled the ball joint 5 degrees down, and plated them as well. The plan is, today, re assemble the front suspension and test fit the wheels. Then later on in the week, pull out the TH400 and get ready for the 4L80E...

Attachments

• control arms 4.jpg
    control arms 4.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 4
  • control arms 3.jpg
    control arms 3.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 4
  • control arms 1.jpg
    control arms 1.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 4
  • control arms 2.jpg
    control arms 2.jpg