• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

NOS parts question. Balanced flow water pump from Peninsular

Will L.

Reaction score
NOS parts question. Balanced flow water pumpfrom Peninsular diesel.
Remember they sold them as take offs from brand new optimizers because their boats don’t use that pump. They sold them at a decent price and so before they closed down I bought a couple. (Still crying over not buying one of his custom turbos).

My nephew needed a new waterpump for his truck so I gave him one of mine. His truck is really low miles- around 80k iirc having sat for decades needing an ip they thought when just really needed LP and fuel hoses. Anyways- I figure his original waterpump failed from just sitting dormant all these years. Seals dried up or something and thats why the seal failed. Better for him to go balanced flow anyway.

Now this got me to thinking:
How long could the seals last in the take off pumps last sitting on a shelf? We have the lowest humidity of any city in the USA. Temps hit 120 for a couple months in the garage they have been stored in. Probably only seen freezing temp 12 days total- what happens in hell errr vegas stays here because the car overheats and you die in Death Valley on the way home.
Not as hot as the 200° when engine is running but the seal stays wet and gets flexed from running.

I have replaced water pump seals in 1940’s and older rig water pumps but those were designed to have just the seal replaced. Never seriously thought about it in a 6.5.

I really can’t imagine installing this pump on my engine now without replacing the seal at least.

What say you experienced folks sho don’t overthink everything like I do. I saw a sticker on a car a couple weeks ago that I need:IMG_0381.png

Back