• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

normal oil pressure

My 95 would hold 50-55 cold, hot idle would be 30-35 and hot cruise would be 45-50. 96 dropped down some as the oil pressure was taken in a different location, and then 97+ with the 506 blocks had much lower oil pressure at idle due to the piston squirters. They would go up to about 50-60 cold, but hot idle was about 20-25, and hot cruise would be 35-45. they varied much more with RPM's as the piston squirters used alot of oil flow.

All good long as the check gauges light is out... Engine wear will show through as lower oil pressure at idle. The OPS being old has a lot to do with the readings. New ones can vary as well in calibration.

Generally I have seen synthetics hold higher oil pressure when hot at idle than conventional oil. And I mean hot to piston scuffing hot.

My 94 with the "HD" OPS that eventually failed always showed about 45psi, but then I got this cheap one from parts store and its always saying like 60psi and with RPMs up to 80. I'm putting ACDelco OPS in soon.

Cold mine will run in the 35-40 range. As soon as the thermostat opens up it drops to about 20 or so. As it gets hotter it gets close to the red lines, at times it even triggers the "check gauges" light.

I ordered a high volume pump yesterday from Zone. 63.00 for Mellings. I'd prefer higher pressure,even with the extra hp draw. The stock pump is same as non turbo and 6.2's. Turbo feed already draws off a little more supply than older engines. I have 40 cold idle, 40 running and about 15ish idle hot. New Delco op switch, fitted rods and mains and new cam bearings and pump with shimmed spring and minimum gear to plate clearance. I know that many have put lots of miles on with those pressures with no problems. I just like having more at hot idle like my old 6.2's and 5.7's and 4.3's. We'll see this weekend how it is with new pump. I'll report back on the change , if any.

And know that it could be the OPS reporting it incorrectly. Thats part of what everyone has been saying, it depends on the OPS. It might be that 15 is actually 40, and 40 is 60. I would verify with a mechanical gauge if you can.

You do not have it in your signature, but I take it you have a 94 or 95? With that low of pressure I would suspect you have an issue and best to figure out if the sender and gauge are accurate.

Got truck back together with high volume pump; picked up 15 to 20 lbs. across the board. 35 to 40 hot idle and 55 to 60 hot cruise.:thumbsup: Now for the chip, fuel pump, and turbo master install.:agreed:

Sup "chessie 6.5"...Can you do a "Good" and fill out your signature, so we know what "Flavor" of 6.5 yagot'......and we don't have to guess what kinda "Whip ya pushin'"

Peace Yo!

40 psi cold idle, 35 psi hot cruise, 25-30 psi hot idle. Amsoil diesel & marine 15W40 synthetic.

I guess I'd prefer more hot cruise pressure, 2,400 rpm at 35 psi oil pressure is OK but not great, but I'm choosing to just go with it, seems like many people here have similar numbers. I haven't verified with a mechanical gauge, will do so at some point.

Back