• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Normal oil pressure? When do I need to worry?

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
The hot weather is as usual dropping idle oil pressure. On my 1993 with the rebuilt and overhauled engine I am going from a line above 40 at cold idle to two lines above the red at hot idle. I swapped out the OPS and same result. Oil has 2K on it and I can still see through the oil on the dipstick due to the gapless rings.

Not enough soot in the oil to hold pressure? :rof:

Start with a mechanical gauge off the engine to verify pressure. 800 rpm 6 psi is min.
The concearn is that is also what happens when you start to spin a cam bearing. I go through the same thing this time each year.

when it happened in November, I checked it with the manual gauge and it fell to 10 psi.
Lucky for me I decided it was time to add a turbo so when I pulled the engine to drill the block for the gm6 (i know-yuck) oil ports, I popped the main bearings they were worn. Pulled the cam and center bearing spun. Lost the cam but new bearings everywhere and all is happy now. Btw did you know you can work the crank out with out pulling the heads?

Just to be safe maybe an oil sample? Got my fingers crossed for ya.

Mine is kinda the same WarWagon. Mine is about 40 cold idle, 35 cruise and hot idle, but is 2 ticks above red when at a stoplight. I've got a AC Delco OPS I'm going to be putting on to see if it helps and, I have the el-cheapo brand on there now. it always seems to help to run a quart of Lucas too :thumbsup:

Iv'e had the oil pressure regulator stick open more than once.

About the same with mine, start a little bit higher when the oil is cold and goes to 40 when it is hot with occasional going a smidgen lower sometimes.

I am using Mobil1 TDT and Bosch Distance+ filter.

Back