• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Noob question: Boring injectors

6.5TD Burb

Reaction score
Is there anything to be had with boring the injectors? Me thinks it's dangerously overdue for new injectors for the Sub and I may have a local shop here rebuild them instead of buying new ones (unsure of that one just yet). I'm planning to get all the goodies for it eventually (GL4, ATT, etc, etc) but right now the money is better spent on things it NEEDs and not on what I want. Is it even possible to bore out the 6.5 injectors?

A shop can rebuild them if they have all the equipment to do it.

I do not understand what you mean by boring the injectors.

A shop can rebuild them if they have all the equipment to do it.

I do not understand what you mean by boring the injectors.

x2, I have never heard "boring". Maybe we are the noob?

Boring is like making a hole. Injector have holes, very small in the nozzles. That will create the pressure.

Is that means making a bigger hole on the nozzle?

It wont allow any more fuel into the chamber if that answers your question. That is determined by the Injection pump. Perhaps try boring that :)

You can bore them out, not really the correct term but I understand what he means. It is generally accomplished by having somebody make the tips flow slightly more fluid than normal. It is done in the same way that the tips were manufactured to start with. A very precise machine called an EDM (electric discharge machining?) milling machine will do the job. No idea on any specs, stock or otherwise. This is how the larger marine tips are modified at the factory.

I had a set done on my semi truck and it worked out very well. I went from 460 (actually about 430 due to the worn original injectors that should have made 460) to 530hp with that modification alone. I have the before and after dyno sheets from the dealer to show the results. I think the torque increased about 300 ft-lbs. It is a different style of fuel system so the benifits are more substantial on my semi than your 6.5.

If you plan on following through with the stuff you indicated, a set of injectors rebuilt to the marine specifications would probably be all the pump can handle anyway. They are usually not any more money than the standard truck injectors. Some companies advertise 40 horsepower gains with the use of the injectors but without an increase in pump volume you would be lucky to get half of that increase.

Sweetness. Question answered. Thanks guys.

Stopped by a local shop that rebuilds injector pumps/injectors/etc and got a quote from the guy to have my injectors rebuilt. $35-$44 per injector. He doesn't get into the aftermarket any but said if I brought the hi pop nozzles he could rebuild my units with them and I'll probably have them flow matched as well.

You can search on a thread called Feed the Beast. That is an attempt to increase flow of fuel.
Attempt ???? harrumpfph :D:D:D,

FTB does insure the IP is never without fuel at any speed or load, what the IP/injector does or doesn't do after fuel is supplied is up to their health, but FTB does keep supply of fuel to IP constant 2+ psi called for in the Stanadyne spec. with a Walbro lift & FTB that is 4+psi even on the hardest workouts of the engine.

FTB does insure the IP is never without fuel at any speed or load, what the IP/injector does or doesn't do after fuel is supplied is up to their health, but FTB does keep supply of fuel to IP constant 2+ psi called for in the Stanadyne spec. with a Walbro lift & FTB that is 4+psi even on the hardest workouts of the engine.

In my case, it is an attempt because I have not done it. In your case, it is an experience. I know it works otherwise, I won't tell the OP to find it. LOL.

These injectors have a specific flow rate spec'd and work best when in the spec.

The IP dictates how much fuel they flow.

Having good nozzles that spray a nice fine cone of fuel and having a POP pressure thats even on all injectors and to the top of the spec is the ticket.

The chip for the ECM (GL4 or ?? ) turbo master and a big exhaust will gice the little creature all it can handle.

Best

MGW

I would think having a larger nozzle size would give some good gains. The only way to get more fuel into the engine is to have a larger nozzle or higher pressure.

I would think having a larger nozzle size would give some good gains. The only way to get more fuel into the engine is to have a larger nozzle or higher pressure.

The same amount of fuel would be exiting the IP and injecting through the injectors. Modifying the injector will not allow more fuel in the engine. raising the pressure on injectors (ala marine tips) just makes a finer atomizing, but same amount of fuel still passes through. Who knows if it makes the IP work harder per stroke or not, possibly taking life off the IP?

I think the IP is more of a time based injection and not volume, so if there were a larger nozzle (injector) then the IP will push for the same pulse width time at the same pressure, but with a larger nozzle there would be more flow (fuel), and the IP and PCM would not know it.

Back to pressure and volume and flow :) In this case youd be increasing volume by removing some resitriction, and as long as IP can maintain pressure it would be golden.

:nono: Hit a nerve there Doc? ):h (LOL)

What's next?.......ATT is a Spud? :nonod:):h

I think the IP is more of a time based injection and not volume, so if there were a larger nozzle (injector) then the IP will push for the same pulse width time at the same pressure, but with a larger nozzle there would be more flow (fuel), and the IP and PCM would not know it.

Back to pressure and volume and flow :) In this case youd be increasing volume by removing some resitriction, and as long as IP can maintain pressure it would be golden.

I see your theory on this, and it makes sense. I thought the IP has a 'fill chamber' type of deal, then it fires (injects) that chamber into the said injector.

I read an excellent article once about a guy that actually diagnosed a PMD failure by graphing the charts/signals of a bad PMD. You'd really like it buddy. I'll try to find it.

Larger nozzles should increase injection flow and decrease return line flow. The question is would it atomize properly and give a performance gain? Someone give it a try.:D

Leo

Back