• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

No start.

iviper123

Recruit
Reaction score
I was driving the truck yesterday pulled a trailer shut it off started it back up a few times got home let it sit for 4 hours or so and now it won't start not a spit or sputter from it. It gave me no warning signs earlier in the day, did some basic checks everything seems fine any ideas about no start ?

Pump is working, no spare pmd except the old one from years ago, but it showed no signs of that problem like the last on that went bad, anyone in lapeer Michigan area with a spare Pmd I can try? There was no stalling or any normal pmd falling signs

It is unusual that they flat die with no warning, but it happens.

Just start checking everything from the basics, check the oil, check the coolant, load test the battery, All grounds, return line from the IP. Juice at the PMD connector - you can find some diagnostic links on a thread I started on the 94 a couple years ago in December. My 94 quit like that. It was a wire in a connector that lost contact after many years of being plugged in. Took me forever to find it.

I had another truck quit like that - it was the injection pump return line plugged. A shot from the blower on the air compressor and it ran great.

I also recommend to get a new engine wiring harness. Ours are all getting old, brittle and crappy. Kind of like me - except the crappy part. Well maybe that too.
It's just something I have started changing as I work on vehicles.

I had to many little issues here and there. Broken connectors, brittle wires and such. I got to thinking I wouldn't run on 20 year old tires because of old rubber / plastic. Maybe it's not a good idea to run on 20 year old wiring. It's not like GM over sized the wires or anything

Check the ECM-B fuse?
As with any other no start, the first thing to do is load test on the batteries one at a time.
Just to eliminate the simple obvious issue before moving on to any other action including putting a KNOWN WORKING PMD.

Hell......IMHO,WarWagon crushed it with the Stanadyne link. JRS spanked it with the 20+ yr old harness and it's wise need to replace it thought. You've got a windmill of thoughts on what can be biting you in the rear-end. All these other Fine Folks involved in this thread are trying to get you to establish Fort iviper123. Start following their great advice,and start clearing out the free and easy trouble spots,and put those behind you. Always better to grab a corner in a Bar Fight and push forward. Same thing here. GM Guy's comment about 50 key starts let's me know just how much I've been picking up here. Spare PMD seems to be a basic with these Little Devils. Try not to drive yourself nuts on this one,so stay in touch. These Guys Rock !!

My track stalled when I was driving. Replacing the FSD does not start the engine. The engine would not start. 3 days ago I changed set a new fuel filter housing. I tightened the clamps on the fuel hose a little bit stronger, remove bubbles from the filter and then the engine starts.

Back