• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

no start when cold

just a number

Reaction score
1999 gm 1500 4.3 v-6

Hears the info that I've got so far. It'll start fine when the engine is warm, but it takes 20 mins of screwing around to get it to start when cold(12hrs+downtime). it's also developed a lack of transmission kickdown. don't have the codes read yet.

best guess so far is the TPS?

it runs fine once started. would the CTS affect the transmission?

where and how do you check the CTS?

any other things affected by the CTS?

Update:

Well hears some more strange news on it. he was checking a couple of things and notices the throttle cable was loose. turn out it didn't return all the way. now it starts just fine. I gotta admit I'm curious what a slightly open throttle would cause a no start??

gotta find out if I shifts OK or not.

Starting and idling are affected by the IAC, and if the throttle is open the IAC motor can't do its job.

IAC = Idle Air Control. This proves that it is working correctly. The throttle being open partially bypassed it. It's generally on the throttle body.

IAC = Idle Air Control. This proves that it is working correctly. The throttle being open partially bypassed it. It's generally on the throttle body.

The throttle being opened can cause a no start due to pretty much every gasser ECM being programmed with whats called a flodd clear feature. If by some chance you happen to flood a fuel injected engine, your supposed to push the throttle open to about half way and this will enable the clear flood portion of the ECM which completely cuts off fuel to the engine until it reaches roughly 400-500 RPM's(a running engine). The IAC would have nothing to do with it not starting in a situation with the throttle open as the throttle blade would be letting in more air than the IAC could which would result in a revving engine on start up.

here's what I'm thinking. I'm wondering if the TPS is misreading and tripping the flood control. might explain the lack of kickdown.

any thoughts?

here's what I'm thinking. I'm wondering if the TPS is misreading and tripping the flood control. might explain the lack of kickdown.

any thoughts?

Could very well be. If the TPS goes it can cause a no start, a revving engine on start-up, hiccups on accel, and a trans that won't shift. Also a dirty MAF sensor can cause all of these same problems.

Back