• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Newer Grey FSD bites the dust!

I'll let China handle my Chinese food and my wonderful harbor freight 15 foot ratchet straps, but I am not letting them play with my PMD cables!

Leroy gets all my electrical needs taken care of, USA made extension cable and USA made LP relay harness. :)

Off Topic. Traveller, i finally see what you did to your airflows through bonnet and guard... I've seen your posts on a few sites and always wondered how it finished-up. I have 2 big vents in bonnet - id love your comments on. when i work out how to attach

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 11
Well, after thinking it was the FSD, resistor or harness I find excess dielectric gel on the resistor I had used the gel to seal plug in socket of FSD. Removed both FSD's and cleaned w/denatured alcohol then spray electrical terminal cleaner it's been a week now no issues.

Off Topic. Traveller, i finally see what you did to your airflows through bonnet and guard... I've seen your posts on a few sites and always wondered how it finished-up. I have 2 big vents in bonnet - id love your comments on. when i work out how to attach

Sorry for the delay, I have ruled out hood vents on side mount (passenger side) turbo side of hood/bonnet because it impeded a good airflow back and over the turbocharger then out fender vents/trailing edge the turbo side is real busy in my application w/in/out CAC/IC pipes in there too. Here in USA on drivers side there is enough area to allow a hood/bonnet vent to work and still have decent airflow back and out fender vent too.

Those 6.5td's down under w/blowers or center mounted turbos are less busy so have good flow back and out on both sides of engine bay.

I've also concluded that in addition to cooling system mods EVANS waterless coolant is the best route for eliminating all corrosion, cavitation and can be run @ zero psi (I run zero psi) it pulls all the heat whatsoever off the engine and there is much less strain on cooling system being that the only pressure it sees is from pump head pressure.

While there has been much debate as to max temp on the 6.5td I have been in the so called never never land above 225 deg f more than a few times w/o any issues. The military using EGW allows for 250 deg f so the GM limit IMHO is just a suggested limit and with EVANS and its much higher boiling point it's a proven fact higher temps can be run on an otherwise good 6.5td diesel w/o issue.

Thanks Leroy. Redunantcy might cost a little more, but beats sitting on side of road waiting for a tow.

I love redundancy, I carry lots of spares even a 3rd FSD, lift pumps, pulleys, idlers, belts, fuel return lines, ECM, axle, dual gen/alt worst case I can even go back to single gen/alt in a pinch all of which I've had trouble in remote areas and these spares saved the day. Even have panty hose tucked in tool box which I have used as pre filter in a really bad sand storm in AZ.

What brand of heat sink is that with the gray Standyne PMD on it? It is my favorite style. I have a couple but do not remember where I got them - could have come with a vehicle or a parts buy.

I like that the mounting flange is on the fin side.

One on top is Pensacola bottom one is old and I have forgotten just who I bought it from however they are pretty common on ebay.

If you see that style, send me a link please. The last time I looked, I didn't see any like that

I did some looking and see lots of pictures of the one you like however most have changed the fin cooler design, perhaps cutting the mounting tab and welding it in a more user friendly spot. There are lots of fin cooling plates on ebay.

I f I have easy access, I think the best place is still on the IP. But I am not pulling the intake to swap one out on the IP.

I've read that with the feed the beast mods the IP mount pad is ok, but those who have done this mod and run the pmd can chime in on if it is indeed good!

Back