• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Newbie from NC

dkanderson

Reaction score
Fanily signed up for a account, I just wanted to say hi to everyone ill be posting on the boards alot from now on.

I am picking up a 96 chevy 6.5 this friday i traded my 97 dodge dakota for.The truck is in really good shape its got a relocated PMD, Up under the front bumper with a heatsink, also biger oil cooler and tranny cooler with steel braded lines, there is no oil leaks or tranny leaks, its got 230000 miles on it, all in all a good truck.

Me and my wife are planing a trip to Denver CO in about a month i will be pulling my 5x10 mower trailer with nothing on it on the way up, but on the way back i will have it loaded with baby stuff not real heavy. I plan on adding Boost, EGT, and tranny temp gauges, and maybe if i have the cash flow 4" exhaust turbo back, I have also been looking at running biodiesel for the trip cuz its cheaper.

just seeing if anybody had anything to add to what i need to upgrade before the trip, its also go good tires on the truck and trailer.

Welcome to The Truck Stop. You and your 6.5 will be in great hands here. We have the best 6.5 crew on the web.

Welcome to this fine site and congratulations on a new baby(unless I got that wrong?).

Thank you, And yes a baby boy on the way, My wifes mom is giving us all of the stuff the only down fall is we have to drive to Denver CO from NC about 1500 miles one way 25 hour drive with a women thats gotta pee every 30 mins, oh i cant wait.

But i think the truck will make it with no problem i do want to get them gauges installed before the trip so i can keep a eye on them and the truck is also coming with a spare PMD and its got a brand new one about 2 months old.

Welcome to The Truck Stop and congrats on the new baby! and the other new one too!:thumbsup:

I moved from Waco, tx, back to central kansas a number of years ago, I think it was about 600 miles. Put my stuff in the boat, and back of the truck because I didn't want to pay for a cargo type rental truck. I tarped everything the best I could, but the wind destroyed the tarp and beat the hell out of everything I owned.

If your 5x10 trailer isn't covered, you might want to think about renting a u-haul trailer. If you go with your trailer, be sure to grease the wheel bearings before leaving.

A final note, congrats on the baby on the way.

Welcome to the site, since the truck is new to you regardless of the cost I would not run Bio-D in it until I had more time myself with the truck to know it's quirks, the repair or downtime would negate the saving of Bio D. Bio D is highly detergent and also not knowing what kind of rubber you have in hoses/gaskets replaced before you owned it the Bio D can super clean system and block filters or attack the rubber in non Bio-D compatible parts.

Not knowing your towing experience I'll add;

Have a look at Great Whites thread here about his upcoming trip, a lot will apply to you especially since traveling with the family, in winter, in mountains I second the recommendation of the covered U-haul or many tarps that is a long journey for a tarp to hold up to 70mph+ wind @ highway speed, if going with tarps get good ones, or maybe build some plywood sides to the trailer to cut the wind.

Also make sure you have plenty of tongue weight, nothing worse than a "dancing trailer" behind you with incorrect tongue weight, added plywood decking or sealed cracks of trailer floor with tarp can allow for "lift" under the trailer.

Yeah i have been reading about biodiesel and heard that the 6.5 dont really like it very much, So i think i will stick with diesel for the trip.

And im not sure if we are takig the trailer or not, The trucks got a long bed on it and im hoping to fit it and if not i think i will just rent a uhaul trailer.

And for towing experience i tow a trailer all the time i work for a company out of CA i do work on foreclosed homes mostly mowing grass but in the winter we do alot of trash outs so i have a trailer hooked up all the time.

Good deal!:thumbsup: A month with it before the trip ought to give you a good rundown on it's quirks and manners so you should be ready when the time comes. Post up some pics for us when you get time.

Good deal!:thumbsup: A month with it before the trip ought to give you a good rundown on it's quirks and manners so you should be ready when the time comes. Post up some pics for us when you get time.

Yep also gives me time to install the gauges im kind of thinking of having a shop do it, sounds like a big deal with drilling into the manifold and everything.

I will get some pics after i buff n wax it up....

Welcome! This site is alot of help! I agree on waiting on the bio-d until you are only going to be driving around town...trust me you will find out which of your fuel hoses are not up to par! Maybe a good idea to start with B-20 and go from there. I went through about 3 filters but from my experience these trucks run great on bio in the spring and summer. If you can't figure it out search for it on here..if you can't find it post it.... lots of GREAT help! Have fun in D-town spent many years there!

Got the truck home today $200 bucks to get her taged n titled Drove it home runs great tranny shifs good first gear is alittle hard going in, but its driving me crazy i have a turbo and i cant hear it at all!!! i heard about the little ring in there you can take out but i dont know how to get it out, and i dont want to mess my truck up the first day maybe tomorrow lol if anyones got input on this i would be very thankfull

Some pics of the truck still gotta do some buffing on it, And im cutting that stupid cat off and muffler off this weekend!

SANY6998.jpg

SANY7003.jpg

SANY7002.jpg

SANY7000.jpg

Thanks thats what everyone is saying, My wife even said i got a good deal cuz i traded my 97 dakota that needed paint and alot of other things lol

But i gotta get that cat cut off asap

Back