• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New to this site ready to discuss my 600hp 6.5

Joe Daddy

Reaction score
Ha Ha Ha! got ya! ):h

Reset:
Been around IDI's since my 1st (8? Olds delta88) owned to many to count. Never had 1 that made great power. The last good 1 was a 99' CC LB 4wd 3500, 0-60 9sec MPG 18,20 7100lbs empty.

Got here by accident,

100_1026.jpg

I accidenty bought this 93' no engine/trans thinking of another CTD swap. Now that I've read some of this I'm reconsidering. I can score a 94' van with a new tranny but I wonder if the vans this year are elec or mech pumps?

Any help?

Thanks!

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet but around 250 rwhp is what I'm after. I can't remember if the mech pumps shared the PMD with the elec. Anybody know? And what kind of realworld power will the mech pump make assuming new inj's, and intercooler. I've been down the exhaust/intake road so I'm good there, I do have in mind to reroute the DP's PSD style and use a PSD turbo. Your thoughts ?

Welcome aboard, Joe! This here is 6.5 country, so you found the right place!

Head on over to the 6.5 forum, introduce yourself to the guys, and spend a little time looking around... we'll have you burning rubber in no time!

A 6.5 with a good turbo a turbo master to control the gate and a 4911 DB2 pump turned up a little and some serious exhaust will get you in the arena you desire.

300 HP from a 6.5 in a truck chassis is doable and have it live.

Aftercool the thing and your set. Keep the boost to no more than 15 PSI and the little critter should be sweet. Watch that the EGT's dont get over 1000F at the ports and that will keep it from turning into a piece of taffy.

Missy

A 6.5 with a good turbo a turbo master to control the gate and a 4911 DB2 pump turned up a little and some serious exhaust will get you in the arena you desire.

300 HP from a 6.5 in a truck chassis is doable and have it live.

Aftercool the thing and your set. Keep the boost to no more than 15 PSI and the little critter should be sweet. Watch that the EGT's dont get over 1000F at the ports and that will keep it from turning into a piece of taffy.

Missy

I have a few ideas for that, since this is a nonescential build I'll see what works. I think intercooling and centralising the turbo(s) will help what's there and what you suggested should get it over the hump. What is the 4911 part of the Db2, and when you say aftercooler what did you have in mind?

4911 is just the pump model number. You can have it tuned up to put out more fuel but even with it turned up all the way and a Turbo-Master you will still have trouble hitting even 250rwhp without an alternate fuel source such as water/meth or propane. Aftercooler/intercooler is all the same but if you go that route make sure you don't use a kit that has tubes with an ID any smaller than your intakes ID. Many kits on the market neck down there pipes in order to fit and I can promise it will actually drop your HP under certain conditions.

Other than that I am always glad to see new blood on the site and wish you luck in your journey.

Ian

4911 is just the pump model number. You can have it tuned up to put out more fuel but even with it turned up all the way and a Turbo-Master you will still have trouble hitting even 250rwhp without an alternate fuel source such as water/meth or propane. Aftercooler/intercooler is all the same but if you go that route make sure you don't use a kit that has tubes with an ID any smaller than your intakes ID. Many kits on the market neck down there pipes in order to fit and I can promise it will actually drop your HP under certain conditions.

Other than that I am always glad to see new blood on the site and wish you luck in your journey.

Ian

The "Texas Truck Guy" or whatever his name was... not a very friendly guy but he was getting around 300 RWHP with just diesel out of a mechanical 6.5 and a Holset turbo. I think the Marine DB-2 with enough air will EASILY get 250 RWHP.

I had never heard of anyone else breaking 300rwhp. I would love to have done an article on his truck. Even with a fully tuned marine pump it would still be a chore to get 250rwhp. The mechanical pumps have problems getting the timing perfect for that amount of fuel, but hey if someone does it and has the dyno papers to prove it I would love to see it and hopefully do a write up on it.

I have gone through a lot of the Archives back at the Place and don't recall a dyno run by Texas Diesel Guy. Not saying it isn't so, just haven't come across one.

Leo

Should get Bobbie Martin involved, he runs the marine DB2 pump in his truck. He said he noticed no difference. Not sure how much he juiced it up though.

I was thinking PSD turbo, 1st gen Cummins IC, Hi-pop inj's and turned up DB2. I realise that 250 is even on the high side without more fuel. I remember reading somewhere that this pump unmolested was only capable of 30-35 hp per line. If this was at the flywheel or pavement I don't know.

Also is there any gain in raising the inlet psi of the pump by a couple lbs?
Has anyone tried?
Is there anyone who's fabbed a central turbo using stock N/A manifolds?

You can try getting a set of manifold for the van or hummer chassis and getting the piping and turbo mount. i cant say itll fit tho b/c i have no experience with setting it up that way in a truck. but the vans and hummers used a center mount turbo due to the size of the engine bays. all i can say for sure is good luck it sounds like it will be a fun project. just keep us all up to date on your progress with it.

I have done a few Hummer projects in the past one for Diesel Power Magazine and found that the H1 and Van turbos are slightly less effecient than even a GM-4 turbo. Improving pressure to the IP is not a bad way to go if you are turning up the volume of the pump. We are putting a AirDog pump on our project 350hp truck because I have run into fuel delivery issues in the past on the drag strip so we didn't want to take any chances on the dyno. About 15psi is as high as I would go.

The "Texas Truck Guy" or whatever his name was... not a very friendly guy but he was getting around 300 RWHP with just diesel out of a mechanical 6.5 and a Holset turbo. I think the Marine DB-2 with enough air will EASILY get 250 RWHP.

Not sure which Texas truck guy you are referring to but one of the Texas guys swore chrome breathers upped his Hp as well so if that was the guy lets just say maybe he was suffering from some ricer math issues.

IIRC he ran the truck at a track with & without chrome/foam breathers and found out those few "nay-sayers" were correct the breathers made no difference

Back