• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New to the scene. Trying to maximize potential and efficiency

Daryl Kent

Reaction score
Looking for ideas of what to do first and what's most effective as far as mods go56509

Last edited by a moderator:
need to know what kind of drivetrain she has in her... Is it a 6.5 td or 5.7 gasser or 454?? And what kind of work do you plan on doing with it... Or are you just looking for fuel efficiency as a daily driver

Welcome. Best is if you fillmout the signature line with truck details for now and later rather than just telling what all you are running.

And yes we collectively have lots of options.

need to know what your end goal is. arguably the first mod I would do is exhaust
Its a starter for my way into hot shotting. I've been told it isn't ideal for heavy loads. More of a local runner. But I got her for a 1,000 and she runs. Clean title.She ain't even got 300,000. In looking to make her work 6 months. Do some upgrades. Save some money. Trade her in for something newer and more powerful. Or possibly hold onto her. Not familiar with diesels. Just got a friend in the industry and got me a way in.

Truth be told the truck was a steal. Why I went with it. So I can start within the month. Money isn't a issue when it comes to the main component in which I make it. I'm open to suggestions all around. I need guidance. I dont want to be the new guy looking like a dumbshit

Boy did you come to the right place... 1 because you found a wealth of information about these trucks on this site..2) because I am a hot shot driver...and contrary to popular belief these trucks are very strong.. they're not a big Cummins but they will do the job.. likewise when they do break they don't cost a small fortune to fix it like a Cummins or a Duramax... It's not going to tell you that some hot shotters don't pull some pretty heavy stuff cuz they do.. but that's not really necessary.. there is tons of freight that is lightweight by comparison..90% of what I haul is boats and campers and ATVs..been off the road most of the winter due to truck needing upgrades and few other reasons..but heading back out soon..it's a fun job . Need any advice just hollar

One thing I will tell you with these trucks.. carrier tool box and a bunch of extra parts..I'll make you a list of all the parts I carry on board just because the shit is not easy to get on the road sometimes.

Welcome. Best is if you fillmout the signature line with truck details for now and later rather than just telling what all you are running.

And yes we collectively have lots of options.
I'm sorry if I made a clerical error. My phone is jacked up and is a pain to type on. Sorry fellas. I'm a green hand as y'all can tell. I stumbled upon yalls forum and was thankful I would get insight and experienced repsones to my questions. If I come across silly or slow I apologize. I'm just trying to keep my daughters under the same roof and make my Mommas last few months good ones by taking as much stress off of her as I can. Could really use yalls expertise

Lol.. these guys are pretty forgiving bunch to those of us who are technology-challenged LOL...

Back to your original question... First and foremost cut the exhaust off it.. right in front of the muffler.. put a 4 inch downpipe 3 and 1/2 inch crossover pipe and 4inch out the back... Second get upgraded lift pump.. I noticed your tires are smaller size .I run to 235-75 -16 on mine.. get you a little better fuel mileage, and you run a lower RPMs for the same speed... if the PMD has not been relocated then move it up into your front bumper on a heatsink...crank position sensor and temp sensor should be AC Delco only and carry an extra one of both on board.. because you can always get an AC Delco 1 at the store they usually have to order it.. also keep at least one extra p.m.d in the cap already on heat sink .. I don't bother getting AC Delco pmd's because they don't seem to do any better then the off-brand..just make sure the one you get has a lifetime warranty you're going to need it... upgrade your oil cooler and the hoses to it.. Leroy Diesel and quadstar both sell the upgrade kit.. and they are vendors here with this site.. I know I'm forgetting a few things but that'll get you started

Boy did you come to the right place... 1 because you found a wealth of information about these trucks on this site..2) because I am a hot shot driver...and contrary to popular belief these trucks are very strong.. they're not a big Cummins but they will do the job.. likewise when they do break they don't cost a small fortune to fix it like a Cummins or a Duramax... It's not going to tell you that some hot shotters don't pull some pretty heavy stuff cuz they do.. but that's not really necessary.. there is tons of freight that is lightweight by comparison..90% of what I haul is boats and campers and ATVs..been off the road most of the winter due to truck needing upgrades and few other reasons..but heading back out soon..it's a fun job . Need any advice just hollar
I appreciate the help and feel better knowing I have people I can go to for advice. Thank you Sir. Much appreciated.

One thing I will tell you with these trucks.. carrier tool box and a bunch of extra parts..I'll make you a list of all the parts I carry on board just because the shit is not easy to get on the road sometimes.
I'm all about a check list and more than one back up plan.

Back to your original question... First and foremost cut the exhaust off it.. right in front of the muffler.. put a 4 inch downpipe 3 and 1/2 inch crossover pipe and 4inch out the back... Second get upgraded lift pump.. I noticed your tires are smaller size .I run to 235-75 -16 on mine.. get you a little better fuel mileage, and you run a lower RPMs for the same speed... if the PMD has not been relocated then move it up into your front bumper on a heatsink...crank position sensor and temp sensor should be AC Delco only and carry an extra one of both on board.. because you can always get an AC Delco 1 at the store they usually have to order it.. also keep at least one extra p.m.d in the cap already on heat sink .. I don't bother getting AC Delco pmd's because they don't seem to do any better then the off-brand..just make sure the one you get has a lifetime warranty you're going to need it... upgrade your oil cooler and the hoses to it.. Leroy Diesel and quadstar both sell the upgrade kit.. and they are vendors here with this site.. I know I'm forgetting a few things but that'll get you started
You are the man Brother. I will gladly take any ideas, thoughts, complaints or critiscm. I only want to be safe on the roads and be one of the best at what I do. 82nd Airborne made me detail oriented and the mindset to be the best I can be at everything I do.

I got quite the list already and will be assholes and elbows come sun up. Thanks fellas. Preciate y'all more than you know.

Back