• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

new to the cummins want some upgrade tips

J.Peart

Reaction score
So my dad is looking to get some more power out of his 95 cummins. its an auto (recently rebuilt). he uses it for his farm truck and pulling equipment and vehicles from time to time.

Im looking for bolt on mods and do it yourself-er stuff. nothing that involves pulling or tearing down the engine.

I'm thinking exhaust and intake. dont know what you can do with the turbo. and i keep hearing about the fuel plate?

Even if you can point me to good walkthrough threads.

Do the Free Mods First.

Pull the Silencer Ring from the Turbo, and get an Intake on it and let that Baby Sing!!

Then you can go over to the Injection Pump and Mod it for Free. You can totally Pull the Fuel Plate and get another 100hp, but it may or may not be VERY Smokey until you Build Boost. I would just Adjust the Plate though, you'll end up Slipping the Trans with the Plate Out.

Here's some Quick, Free Mods (other than the Air Filter):

1-remove the aneroid fuel control housing (AFC) (you will need a chisel or left handed drill bit to remove the break off screw) this device controls pre-boost fuel. this is done under 10psi of boost.

2-slide the fuel plate forward then back it up 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch. (you can play with this until your butt dyno says you got it where it wants it)

3-reinstall AFC and slide it all the way forward. (this is also butt-dyno adjustable. i got my best results with it all the way forward)

4-remove the 8mm plug on the top of the AFC. you'll see a starwheel. cranking this towards the engine makes it go forward. forward = more pre-boost fuel = more smoke.

5- go to NAPA. buy this filter: p/n FIL2790. this is known as a BHAF. remove the stock airbox and put this in it's place. bend up some sheet metal as a heat shield.

Does removing the silencer ring improve the turbo performance at all or is it just a noise restriction?

For the pump mods you suggest, is the a walk through thread somewhere? i know a bit about the db style pumps on the old fords and gms but not the inline pumps on the dodge.

also you say it could slip the trans? is that just if complete remove the fuel plate?

I would think upping the fuel and air like that you would also want better exhaust right? is there any manufacturer that comes recommended?

Pyro and boost gauges recommended as well i would think?

Does removing the silencer ring improve the turbo performance at all or is it just a noise restriction?

For the pump mods you suggest, is the a walk through thread somewhere? i know a bit about the db style pumps on the old fords and gms but not the inline pumps on the dodge.

also you say it could slip the trans? is that just if complete remove the fuel plate?

I would think upping the fuel and air like that you would also want better exhaust right? is there any manufacturer that comes recommended?

Pyro and boost gauges recommended as well i would think?

Yea, the Silencer Ring is just for Noise Reduction. No Performance Gain to be had, but it's just Held In by a Snap Ring that comes right out with a Flat Head Screw Driver.

Here's 2 Vids for Turning Up & Working on the IP. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSoVYXDZ5Xc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orRh9s5aavU

Yea, with the Plate Out and other needed Adjustments to the Pump, that'll Add about 100hp and be too much for the Stock TQ Converter. Just Sliding the Plate Forward and doing other needed Adjustments will give about 40hp and should be ok for the Stock Trans, given it's in 100% Working Order now.

I had a 4" MBRP Straight Pipe Turbo-Back on my 12v and it Sounded awesome, but was VERY Loud in the Cab on the Highway, so I Recommend getting an MBRP Kit with a Muffler First, to see how that Sounds for you.

Yep, Pyro / Boost / Trans Fluid Gauges are always Recommended. Tapping for Boost is Easy on these Engines. You'll See that in the Second Video I Posted above. Pyro & Trans Temp are just like any other Diesel with Tapping the Manifold (unless you get a 3pc that is Pre-Tapped) and Tapping the Pan (again, unless you get a Deep Pan or one that is Pre-Tapped).

For your exhaust if your on a budget, I would start by just removing the cat converter. Do the BHAF mod. And slide the fuel plate forward a bit and see how you like it. Also get a set of guages on it so you can monitor EGT, boost, and trans temp. And your stock 47RH trans will not like much more power and is the reason why it is only a 160HP engine(manual in that same year was 180HP).

I wouldn't do anything more than sliding the fuel plate front until you get the trans built to handle more hp. You might could set your timing to around 17 or 18 degrees to help mileage and help it run cool.

Back