• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Reflash...First Impressions and Questions

Did you run a TDCO learn when installing the Heath PCM? Can do with KOKO method, if not that would be the first thing I would do, it might clear things up. Its required anytime swapping a PCM. Not when swapping OBD1 chips, but if you swap the whole PCM, CPS, IP, or timing chain

You could experiment by retarding the IP physically, and not resetting the TDCO after that. Then it will be less advanced than the computer thinks it is by the previously stored TDCO value. If you then run the TDCO learn it will just know its retarded and move the stepper motor to achieve the same programmed advance value. So to fool the PCM you move the IP without setting the TDCO. This I only recomend as a diagnostic method, and not to run it permanently like that.

Did you run a TDCO learn when installing the Heath PCM? Can do with KOKO method, if not that would be the first thing I would do, it might clear things up. Its required anytime swapping a PCM. Not when swapping OBD1 chips, but if you swap the whole PCM, CPS, IP, or timing chain

You could experiment by retarding the IP physically, and not resetting the TDCO after that. Then it will be less advanced than the computer thinks it is by the previously stored TDCO value. If you then run the TDCO learn it will just know its retarded and move the stepper motor to achieve the same programmed advance value. So to fool the PCM you move the IP without setting the TDCO. This I only recomend as a diagnostic method, and not to run it permanently like that.

I did the key on key off procedure reccomended by heath. I tried another method today that I found on the dp, which included holding the pedal down with key on etc. I didnt notice any change.

It seems as though as soon as I have some boost, anything over 4psi, the smoke clears right up. Its just when the truck is working really hard or between shifts when you nail the throttle do you see clouds of soot.

Im waiting on a call back from bill to follow up on my findings.

-Nick

Quick update....I took the reflash out and am now back to running my stock tune. No smoke now! The reflash definetly did have a stonger pull with the trailer. I think it held a constant speed much better when pulling hills.

However, in my opinion the small increase in towing power was not worth the smoke, or the cost. Just my personal findings.

-Nick

In the end, it is my opinion that it all really is subjective. If one is happy with their truck, then, regardless of the opinions of others, the truck is fine. Its a matter of time, effort and willingness to adjust to the effects of 'improvements.'

Quick update....I took the reflash out and am now back to running my stock tune. No smoke now! The reflash definitely did have a stonger pull with the trailer. I think it held a constant speed much better when pulling hills.

However, in my opinion the small increase in towing power was not worth the smoke, or the cost. Just my personal findings.

-Nick

Something is wrong.....Unless your stock tune is running so good that you could only feel a small improvement, at the cost of unwanted smoke. Your first impression should have been :eek::thumbsup:, WOW I can't believe I didn't do this a long time ago!

Everyone, or just about, has said the A$$ Dyno showed a MAJOR improvement over stock for any reputable tune.

JMHO

Maybe his turbo cant keep up with the tune? Maybe its worn out! Perhaps the smoke would an improve with a more efficient turbo.

I know turbos alone are a huge improvement, you would really love the power increase from a turbo. Just throwing ideas out there

That's what I thought at first, but then thinking back on all the tunes over the years that members have swapped in, there was nothing but......"Holy Cow, It feels like a Different Truck!"

Furthermore, Nick has a 06 (LBZ), so he knows the difference that he should be pushing....Since his first 1st post he said "Not Impressed" at all.

In the end, it is my opinion that it all really is subjective. If one is happy with their truck, then, regardless of the opinions of others, the truck is fine. Its a matter of time, effort and willingness to adjust to the effects of 'improvements.'

Very much so agreed. Ive been happy with the truck for years, but Im always looking for ways to improve the truck. In this case, the reflash was not an improvement on this particular truck. I know alot of people, including myself, use Heath's programing and are VERY happy with the results. I couldnt have been happier with the tune I had in my 95.

Now it was also my choice to not try and tweak this particular PCM to "adjust my improvements." Bill had offered to do so until I was happy, but truth be told, I dont have the time to be swapping PCMs left and right. Maybe in the off season, but not now. That being said, I have always been happy with the stock performance of the truck, and as they say....If it aint broke, dont fix it. I have a hard time living by that however.

-Nick

Maybe his turbo cant keep up with the tune? Maybe its worn out! Perhaps the smoke would an improve with a more efficient turbo.

I know turbos alone are a huge improvement, you would really love the power increase from a turbo. Just throwing ideas out there

That was Bill's theory, but I have a hard time believing that. If my turbo was in fact "shot" or worn out, I would expect to see signs of it even with the stock programing. Obviously I would expect it to show more with the tune, but I dont believe the turbo is to blame in this situation. Regardless, the truck will see another turbo in the near future, for no other reason than to try to improve on what I have already.

Thanks again for all the ideas guys.

-Nick

Back