• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Queen of the Diesels

GMMomma74

Mother of Trucks and Mopar Minivans
Reaction score
Had my big red Beast baby for 2 years now. Traded a big red motorcycle for it. Rather my husband did. Way too much truck for us but we needed it and I love the thing. Besides we live in small town Texas at the end of a washed out formerly paved ravine of a driveway. Takes a truck to get up it. And my minivan gave up the ghost... My beast is a '95 GM (of course) 3500 Sierra sle with a 6.5l turbo. Was built to be white but someone before me sanded her down, reprimed and painted her red. Forgot the clear coat so her paint is peeled and faded and primer shows thru. She also sports a snazzy blue cap/camper (depending on which redneck you talk too). Bumper pull hitch and gooseneck ball in the bed.

I've had it stuck twice in the mud in the last month. More rain so far this year than in entire years past. I think I need to put a 4x4 kit on her... Or is it 6x6 if it's got duals?

Anyway I pretty much joined to get advice from those who know these trucks best. My husband is NOT mechanically inclined at all...

One mechanic says fuel injector control module but symptoms say pmd and throttle position sensor. My sister just ordered me a pmd with relocation wires. Is the fuel injector module and pmd the same thing?
The symptoms... Lost the "sweet spot" in the throttle when above 50. Throttle is on full or off. Black black smoke til really warm like 6 miles of driving after really rough idling for 15 minutes where it idles at just a hair over 2,000rpm's until it finally settles down after dropping it into gear. Kinda like the automatic choke is gone. Had an issue with it and a swimming lesson thru a really deep poad puddle during a storm a couple weeks ago (ended up with a blown ignition fuse) and then last Wed it wasn't idling down like it should and now "runs away" on me any time I start it up. Her issues initially started back in December.

My thoughts exactly. So since my sis bought me a pmd (it'll be here tomorrow) I'll start there...

Welcome GM Momma, get a good extension harness from Leroy Diesel and put the pmd/cooler in the front bumper.

Bad grounds can mess with pmd operation also. Remove, clean and reinstall all the ground wires in the engine and battery cables.

Welcome btw.

Welcome to the forum @GMMomma74 you have found the right place for 6.5 knowledge.

You are on the right track by starting out with a new pmd. Will is right to. You really should go through and clean all the grounds under hood

Back