• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Plastic Fuel Filters

I've got one on my truck right now. So far so good!

Thank you. I would imagine a strong thick plastic housing will probably last much longer than a thinner tin can housing, and cut down on the rust too! I do think the new filters have a better micron rating. Supposedly better filter media too.

Thank you. I would imagine a strong thick plastic housing will probably last much longer than a thinner tin can housing, and cut down on the rust too! I do think the new filters have a better micron rating. Supposedly better filter media too.

Yea. It's just hard to get ahold of them. Plastic makes it hard to grip.

I bought some of the new Parker/Racors (with the new part #, better micron rating, and of course higher price...) from Greg. They are the same as the new OEMs made by P/R. I haven't put one on yet though. The Wix looks like it would be easier to change than the big dia OEMs.

One of the first signs of a filter getting restricted is excess black smoke at lower RPM's. When the filter begins to plug up it will cause low rail pressure which gives you black smoke.

Interesting, Thanks Fermanator. I did not know that. I guess the more restrictions from the filter (ie: lower micron rating than stock original OEM) means lower rail pressure. I still get black smoke at times, and I run 2 CAT 2 micron filters, 1 in the rear and 1 in the front. I will check this out. Thanks again.

One of the first signs of a filter getting restricted is excess black smoke at lower RPM's. When the filter begins to plug up it will cause low rail pressure which gives you black smoke.

yep,thats what it does, i just put the racor back in and 200 miles later no smoke,,these black plastic filters do this from the start

I have one on my truck and installing it was kinda hokie because it was plastic. No excessive black smoke but my Edge Evo Race on level 3 seems about the same.

The only complaint is you can't use a magnet on these rascals.:eek:

Interesting point Barry. I hadn't even thought about the magnet. If you have a pre-filter you could use the magnet on that filter.

I have a metal Racor that I will install next and the other Wix plastic i will trade off for a metal one.

Stinkin Magnet are not inexpensive.

Back