• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New motor break in oil recommendations

Twisted Steel Performance

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Reaction score
What oil would you use for break in on a new motor (6.5) and what oil change interval to change to synthetic..

Thanks for your recommendations...

That wad my thoughts! Lol What do you have left to break in?! Not sure if rings need a special oil to break in. They might not fully break in for quite a while.

Seriously, though, I'd be interested to know how much resistance you've cut out with your coatings. I'd also love to see an engine builder tear into it and start scratching his head.

5/30 for 500miles. 10/30 for the next few oil changes up to 10,000 miles. Then, run the oil/weight of your choice.

That is what I'd do if it was mine.

Seriously, though, I'd be interested to know how much resistance you've cut out with your coatings. I'd also love to see an engine builder tear into it and start scratching his head.

The motor wouldn't be anything new to the builders I know around here, all the race builders use the coatings here.. nothing new, maybe to some but not everyone..

Well, in the future I'm going to be referencing your threads. I'd like to learn how to do the coatings just for personal use. I sell ammo cans, and I'd like to try to rust-proof a few for the boat. Sorry for the off-topic. You've been an inspiration.

Changed their formulation and lower their specs, this is fact. I have even heard they moved their refinery or plant over seas. Lower quality oil now, my 06 dmax started using oil, never had before. Switched to Delo 400 and problem solved. Same issue with my Case Tractor

Havent heard any negetives on Mobil 1, I am liking Delo 400 15/w40 and have since changed to AMSOIL on my dmax and nothing else runs enough to get oil changed often. Tractor only gets changed once a yr and I am topping off with Delo, it has always used oil but Rotella caused it to more than double usage (over a gallon/ 8 hrs) back to gallon in ~20hrs with only 2 gallons of delo added.

Warwagon uses Delo and if it works for him... lol (set my standards by those who abuse their stuff as bad as or worse than me)

The one and only new tractor I've owned (JD) used a 20w oil for break in. They sell it labeled as Break in oil. That was over 30 years ago, it may have changed.

Changed their formulation and lower their specs, this is fact. I have even heard they moved their refinery or plant over seas. Lower quality oil now, my 06 dmax started using oil, never had before. Switched to Delo 400 and problem solved. Same issue with my Case Tractor

ALL oils had to change there formulations in 06 if they wanted to continue to be diesel rated oils. With the introduction of the DPF, all diesel oil had to have the zinc and phospourus levels lowered in order to reduce cat and DPF failures. Personally I still run rotella oil in my DURAMAX(5W40 T6 synthetic), and 15W40 rotella in all of my air cooled and flat tappet engines as rotella 15W40 still has a fairly high zinc content in it compared to oil for use in spark iginition cars.

This change i read about was recent.

I havent had a problem with T6 5/40 but I was using a qt in less than 1000 miles in my dmax running 15/w40, problem was solved by changing oils, 15K on amsoil and 1/2qt low. Not saying my engine doesnt have problems but that was ~30K ago and havent seen that problem again.

Back