• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bezzer

Reaction score
Hi Fellows! I'm Bezzer I have a 1996 24' Safari Motorhome (bought new) with a 6.5TD engine. As new - Always garaged when not traveling. This is my first visit to this great site.

This is Bezzer with my problem. It has the 6.5TD with the F Engine (does not have the EGR valve). The engine has 79,000 miles on it. This problem started about 2 yrs. ago. At every cold start (like the next day). The proper way to start this engine is to turn the key on and watch for the glow plug light to go off and then start the engine.
As the engine starts turning over - I hear a "poof" out the exhaust pipe. Then after about 8 seconds there is a "poof" from the passenger side motorhome next to your leg. That is the turbo side of the engine. I have watched the cold start up at the engine and the rod on the new wastegate did not move but something made the "poof". I shut the engine off and waited one minute and restarted the engine and no "poof". I have checked the new vacuum pump for vacuum at the hose that goes onto the wastegate and it was 15 lbs. at idle at the cold start.
I have checked the ohms on each glow plug on that side of the engine. All four showed 0.5. Also checked the voltage to each glow plug wire unplugged with key on. All had 6 volts....as manual states.
If we go for a drive about 50 miles and stop for fuel and restart the engine...there is no "poofs" anywhere. No white or black smoke from exhaust pipe. The engine performs perfect when on a road trip.
Anyone know what this "poof" is or what's causing this "poof" after 25 yrs. without a "poof"???

Sorry! I made a mistake posting my problem to the introduction....instead of what my problem is....so I have moved my problem post titled - "6.5 TD Poof Problem".

Back