• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New LED brake/turn lights in the rear.... But now flasher goes fast???

Matt Bachand

Depends on the 6.5
Reaction score
Just replaced some old lights on the rig with some nice LED brake/turn/marker units from Harbor Freight.

Everything works great, however the flasher goes fast as if I have a bulb out, even though all lights are working.

I assume its because the LED doesn't draw the same voltage as the old school bulbs.

How can I fix this???

You're Correct.

The Truck Thinks a Bulb is Burned Out.

You can either Find the Correct LED Flasher or Wire In the Correct Impedance Resistors.

You might also try a HD electronic flasher... they are a must for anybody with DIY trailer wiring because they compensate for the impedance changes.

You might also try a HD electronic flasher... they are a must for anybody with DIY trailer wiring because they compensate for the impedance changes.

This seems easier! I can get these at any parts store?? HD for heavy duty?

Thanks guys!...

I must say these things are SUPER bright!! Nobody's going to miss my brake lights or turn signals again!

Yeah, HD for Heavy-Duty. Ask if they have the correct LED flasher first, but if they don't have one, try the HD electronic, it should work. Most places will let you take one out in the parking lot and try it to see if it works properly.

Thanks Jim! I'm knew to the LED game, so I didn't even know LED flashers existed.

You can move this to its proper place Jim! I know you're itching!

Thanks.:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

So you put LED lights into your stock fixture? I like the stock look, but wouldnt mind having brighter brake and turn lights. Plan on getting the HID backup lights soon too.

Thanks Jim! I'm knew to the LED game, so I didn't even know LED flashers existed.

You can move this to its proper place Jim! I know you're itching!

Thanks.:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

LOL ... moved!

Anything you guys want to know about LEDs, HIDs or Lighting in general, you should be talking to James (Mad Maxx) ... he is the official guru on that stuff!!

It's a utiltiy body... I just cut out the factory ones and mounted up the new ones... they look great, I'll take some pics for you guys :)

I used these lights from EBAY on the BURB, and I'm VERY happy with them. They're super bright even during the day, and the reverse lights in them put out ALOT of light with just standard bulbs. I tried one of the above flashers and didn't like it as it had almost a 2 second delay before it would begin flashing, so I just used a standard 2 pin HD electronic flasher with no lamp outage indicator in it and plugged it into the stock socket(the stock socket is a standard 3 pin, all you have to do is plug it in across the 2 termianls for power in and out, not the black wire).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-9...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c5c6bf6ee

To add another data point, I found a Littelfuse 760 style flasher with the correct 3 terminal pinout worked to fix hyper-flash from swapping to LED taillights on my '95 K2500. Found it at O'Reilly Auto.

It's electronically timed, but still has audible clicks, albeit a little softer than the thermal flashers - so you still get a little sound cue that the blinkers are on.

To add another data point, I found a Littelfuse 760 style flasher with the correct 3 terminal pinout worked to fix hyper-flash from swapping to LED taillights on my '95 K2500. Found it at O'Reilly Auto.

It's electronically timed, but still has audible clicks, albeit a little softer than the thermal flashers - so you still get a little sound cue that the blinkers are on.
I tried one of those, but didn't like it. I tried 2 different ones and they both had an almost 2 second delay before the flashers would start going normally. The 2 prong digital flasher is still going strong almost 5 years later now without a single hiccup. It is louder than the OEM flasher though which is a bit annoying.

I tried one of those, but didn't like it. I tried 2 different ones and they both had an almost 2 second delay before the flashers would start going normally. The 2 prong digital flasher is still going strong almost 5 years later now without a single hiccup. It is louder than the OEM flasher though which is a bit annoying.

I had read about some having that 2 second delay, but fortunately it isn't doing that in my application.

I think this 760 style still has a load sensing component as it says it will blink twice as fast upon lamp failure. At this point, I've only replaced taillights with LED, plus a very small additional load in the towing mirror's LED (did the diode array floating ground for parking lights & turn signal). I'm about ready to start modding rad core support to fit an '01-04 DMax IC, so may have to sub LED front turn-signals for clearance as you did. If that proves to not work with this 760 style flasher, I'll post an update.

I went with this taillight set as I wanted red (not clear or smoked): IPCW LEDT-303CR Ruby Red 44-LED Tail Lamp - Pair. Overall I like them, but would prefer they didn't have the backup light lense protrusion - they'd have cleaner lines if smooth like the OEM shape.

Back