• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

NEW Kennedy ECM

Just adding another benefit - the extended glow time Kennedy added is PERFECT. It was 30* out this morning and it started up like it was 95*. I know this can be done other ways, but it's nice to have it "built-in".

Now a factory wastegated turbo is a requirement of this tune?

I have been running a Kennedy tune for a long time with both a vacuum waste gated GM-8 and an ATT(I even ran a short while with a TM while waiting for ATT, vacuum is better when tuned right), it works great both ways. It's even better with the ATT, I can use the the whole RPM range now and split gears with the GV unit to maintain speed on the big hills. No more running out of air! I need water injection now, because I can make more power than the engine can get rid of on the big hills. I run out of EGT the safety zone before I run out of power.

You have a split rear end/driveshaft gear setup? And I think you can lose the word 'stock' out of your sig :)

I have a Gear Vendors unit, so I can shift into 2 over, then 3, then 3 over, then 4, then 4 over. I could use it in first, but I never go that slow. My engine is still stock, it has the same parts that it rolled off of the assembly line with, except for PMD and turbo. I haven't even found the time to change the injectors, or change my TDCO, two things I really need to do. I need a scanner for my TDCO, and I need time to do my injectors.

How long ago & which tune of Heath did you run, at one time he did a tow tune only, then with so much demand for "performance one" he came up with HP-4, so to be a true apples-to apples I'd think before we can say 1 better than other it would have to be current production of both vendors vs each other, ALL are better than than what came with the truck actually I'd like to see a Wester-Heath-Hypertech-KOJO-Kennedy-BD-SSD test it would take some serious coinage to buy all those programs & have dyno time to run them, and then I'd like to see an open road test as dynos do not really load up a truck like real world conditions do.

Oh, fwiw Wester does not do Heath's tunes.

This would be a very good test, I don't know if I would have the time to do it but the truck I am working on for 635 would be a perfect platform for the test of all major programs on the market. So if I have the time and can convince the powers that be to donate a PCM each for the test I think it would make a great read.

You need to remember that each one was designed for a specific purpose so overall HP would only be one faze of the test. Towing, MPG, and overall drivability would also come into play. Whats the fun in a few extra HP if the truck drives lack crap? If time permits I will see what I can do to make this test a reallity, as well as publish all the findings in one of the diesel mags.

This would be a very good test, I don't know if I would have the time to do it but the truck I am working on for 635 would be a perfect platform for the test of all major programs on the market. So if I have the time and can convince the powers that be to donate a PCM each for the test I think it would make a great read.

You need to remember that each one was designed for a specific purpose so overall HP would only be one faze of the test. Towing, MPG, and overall drivability would also come into play. Whats the fun in a few extra HP if the truck drives lack crap? If time permits I will see what I can do to make this test a reallity, as well as publish all the findings in one of the diesel mags.

Send E-Mails/letter to all the big boys.. if they are confident in their product, they may oblige. Else they may lose business by the fact that they didn't have the faith to 'compete'.

Send E-Mails/letter to all the big boys.. if they are confident in their product, they may oblige. Else they may lose business by the fact that they didn't have the faith to 'compete'.

I'm sure the companies that make these products are reading The Truck Stop. I am planning quite a few cross country trips this next year and if they would like to contact me I would be happy to try these products for milage and towing capabilities.

There are a LOT of variables, here...

Bill, John, and Lyndon are all very aware of the variables and are pretty forthcoming about the results you can expect to see... generally. Note the qualifier.

The same chip in 2 different trucks will produce different gains. Saying that a generic tune will produce +40 hp is just an average - in some cases, it'll make more, in others, less... it depends on what's already there.

That's why ricer math doesn't work.

You could put different chips in my truck and compare them, coming to the conclusion that chip A produced bigger gains than chip B or C. Put the same stuff in Matt's truck, and you might find chip C was best, followed by B then A.

Generic tunes, like these guys are selling us, give those kinds of results. Putting the trucks on a dyno and tuning for the truck is an entirely different thing.

The guys building generic tunes need to be cautious about putting too much fuel or boost in the wrong places - the early BD or Hypertech tunes made lots of power and killed engines - so it isn't simply a matter of adding more go-juice...

BTW - Bill has had extended glow time in his GL series for well over a year now, and Lyndon adds it to Westers on request, so that isn't new. Glad to see John add it to his chips.

I still prefer manual control, but that's me - I live in the frozen north.

BTW #2 - I love the turbomaster. My vac system was working perfectly and still sucked - I towed heavy at varying altitudes, ran empty at varied altitues, and it was not adequate. I never once had an issue with the TM.

My opinions, worth exactly what you paid for them.:D

Well I have 635's truck going to Dynomite Diesels dyno the weekend after thanksgiving. We already have a Heath program that runs great, we all know the HDP program is what was in my truck when I ran 303hp so it has street credit to say the least. I no longer work for any of the companies, in fact you could say I work more as an independent as well as for the magazines more now. If Kennedy, Westers, and even KOJO wanted to fix up a PCM to send over for this truck on a loan basis we could run all of them on the same truck, same day, same weather conditions, same fuel, same fuel additive, same dyno oporator. I would say in the name of science you can't control the variables much more than that. All results would be given to one or more of the major diesel publications and one of there editors would write the story. This way it doesn't look like I would be pushing the HDP product more out of loyalty. Thoughts?

since it is the weekend, I have left messages with Westers, Kennedy, & SS Diesel. The truck is already running a Heath program so no need to get a new tune from them. I can't promise anything but you never no, this thing just might materialize.

I could be there in a couple of hours as long as it is not on Thanksgiving day. What does your schedule look like? I would definitely like to meet you.

I can meet you half way, I will pm you and give you my cell number.

Back