• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New in Edmonton

Guitarded

Reaction score
Quick introduction. Long time GM guy, new to this board.

Currently have a '21 Sierra 3500 AT4 with the Duramax for my daily. Toys/projects include a 1999 Tahoe LT, and a 1995 K1500.

Mainly here for assistance and info on the 6.5L turbodiesel.

I've recently been gifted a 1995 Chev K1500 with that engine. I know exactly zero about these diesels, in terms of maintenance, repair, and upkeep. I know this truck needs a diesel injector pump, so that's step one with this truck.

How did you determine it needs a pump?

The who gave me the truck has said that is what's wrong with it.

Bit of a back story. He's an HD mechanic, and this truck was left by a customer who was getting work done, then never came back to pay his bills. Garage liens were placed on the truck and the equipment, client never came back. After some time, the shop now legally owns the stuff. My guy doesn't want the truck. And that's where I come in.

I haven't brought it home yet, and haven't even opened the hood myself yet. Will be bring it home this weekend, then I start digging into it, going over it from front to back, making a list, and seeing what it actually needs. I'm hoping it actually doesn't need the IP, but will see.

Welcome.
The 6.5 ip (injector pump) is the most commonly misdiagnosed diesel issue recorded.
Most gasser mechanics do better than diesel mechanics because they don’t “know” about it so they ask and learn. But get whatever info they did on diagnostics since it was done and show whatever you can.

Start a thread specifically on it and we will walk you through.
This engine is completely different than your dmax. Faster than a turtle, but not if he is hungry. Fuel mileage and low long term cost of owner was the name of the game on this engine.

Welcome to TTS!

If the 6.5 does need an IP, will find on the boards where my vote is to go new and not reman. Of course, that presumes new ones are still available. From experience, using anything reman when it comes to the injection system (including the injectors) is a gamble. Some install and run, some do not (or at least not for long). Same for the DMax.

Aside from notation on power, another big difference in the 6.5 to the DMax is that the 6.5 will talk to you if you want to listen. It will tell you when it is cold. It will tell you when it is warm and happy. It will tell you when the fuel is not right. It will tell you when a sensor is misbehaving. Sadly, it will not tell you when it gets overly hot until it is too late (hint: the dash gauge is junk). Put another way, the 6.5 is significantly louder than the DMax, but it does a lot of talking for those whom want to listen and pay attention.

Welcome.
The 6.5 ip (injector pump) is the most commonly misdiagnosed diesel issue recorded.
Most gasser mechanics do better than diesel mechanics because they don’t “know” about it so they ask and learn. But get whatever info they did on diagnostics since it was done and show whatever you can.

Start a thread specifically on it and we will walk you through.
This engine is completely different than your dmax. Faster than a turtle, but not if he is hungry. Fuel mileage and low long term cost of owner was the name of the game on this engine.

I am definitely in the "don't know" category! My knowledge of diesel maintenance and repair begins and ends with the VW TDI engines. So this truck is new ground for me.

With any project I get, I tend to take a clean slate sort of approach. Info given to me about potential issues is noted, then I'll do my own inspections and observations. I don't ignore previous diagnoses, but I do like to verify before doing anything. Especially with something on the pricier side. Like the injector pump.

Welcome to TTS!

If the 6.5 does need an IP, will find on the boards where my vote is to go new and not reman. Of course, that presumes new ones are still available. From experience, using anything reman when it comes to the injection system (including the injectors) is a gamble. Some install and run, some do not (or at least not for long). Same for the DMax.

Aside from notation on power, another big difference in the 6.5 to the DMax is that the 6.5 will talk to you if you want to listen. It will tell you when it is cold. It will tell you when it is warm and happy. It will tell you when the fuel is not right. It will tell you when a sensor is misbehaving. Sadly, it will not tell you when it gets overly hot until it is too late (hint: the dash gauge is junk). Put another way, the 6.5 is significantly louder than the DMax, but it does a lot of talking for those whom want to listen and pay attention.

I think the only time I've used reman stuff is when I've fixed a vehicle purely to make it sellable. This stuff is expensive, so if I'm going to spend the money, might as well go new. Unless of course parts aren't available.

At any rate, once I actually take possession of this truck and document the actual condition, then I can start planning my attack.

I used to be for all new parts. But I've had a lot of bad new parts in the past. I would not install an IP or injectors without having them tested first.

I have taken to using trusted rebuilders and just having what I have repaired/rebuilt.

Well, having looked over the truck and dragged it home, I can confirm it needs an IP. Because the truck currently doesn't have one. Nor does it have the intake manifold. And nothing had been placed over the intake ports, so who knows what might have ended up in those. And there is no hardware, so I would also have to source all the bolts needed. Did any fall into the engine? Who knows.

At this time, a little more work than I want to take on. Still...the truck is solid with almost no rust and perfect cab corners and rockers, plus the interior is in excellent shape, so for now it sits in my shop. Might try to source a rebuilt engine for it. Or maybe it's a candidate for an engine swap. Looks like I have my summer project.

Back