• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New GM 6.5 TBD owner in YT

Check all fluids. Change filters and like Will said, get a spare pmd before the trip if you can.

You will enjoy owning a 6.5.

1400 mi or so, bet that is a beautiful drive at the right time of the year! Welcome, Just turned 4000 + miles in a week at the end of March and didn't need any of my spare truck.... I mean parts that I carried! Thank the Good Lord!

Yeah it's about 3000km (roughly 1500 miles).

It came with a spare PMD, and it's mounted I think between a battery and headlight, I just need to familiarize myself with that before I leave. All fluids checked/changed, all good except oil and coolant. Flushed the coolant system and put in a 180F thermostat. Changed oil but put too much additive (Lucas oil stabilizer and stop leak) and the oil pressure went way up, another oil change and that has mellowed out, although I don't honestly trust any of the gauges... I'm going to clean all the grounds this week and hopefully get some more accuracy on them (and a lower reading on oil pressure!).

The oil pressure thing was scary but I think it worked out in the long run... Running it for a bit with the additives seems to have dramatically slowed some leaks and lowered blowby. I also, perhaps foolishly/riskily, used a well-reviewed, German diesel specific fuel system cleaner; I put their mellower cleaner into the tank with a fill-up and then halfway through the tank put their more intense cleaner into the fuel filter by sucking out the diesel and filling back up with this. Did that twice and then threw the rest into the tank... also very slowly poured a Lucas diesel fuel system cleaner into the air intake between the turbo and the air filter... I know this was all a gamble, but it paid off; the thing blew out a bunch of gnarly smoke and now it runs waaaaaaay smoother, especially at idle, smokes less and for shorter... I did the second oil change after this process so anything that the oil picked up hopefully is now gone!

I just need to get it home where I have my shop/tools to really address anything necessary!

Next is making sure the trailer brake controller works (never had/used one before) and checking the air bags in the rear suspension!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, I'm sure I'll have some dumb questions for y'all in a little bit! I'm a modest backyard mechanic but this is my first diesel so still wrapping my head around the major and more insidious differences!

Last edited:
Carmacks, two hour north of WH.

I'm not sure what you mean... I thought oil pressure sending (OPS) unit is fancy pants for a sensor that sends the gauge or light info about how oil pressure is doing... Do you mean that power for the LP is somehow wired through or runs through the OPS?

Yes. It send signal to the gauge and also sends power to the lift pump so if you crash, when engine stops so does lift pump. Order a harness from leroy to add relay inline and have switch to prime filter sfter changes.

The ops is hard to reach when it dies. In the valley.

Back