• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Dempfer Balancer

I have Dorman harmonic balancers on all my 6.2 diesels and 6.5 turbo diesel; however, they all don't have many miles on each vehicle since install.

Be advised most are made in china if that matters to you. I didn't like that fact, but with discounts - they were cheap enough for new ones...

I worked with the Chinese and was in different Chinese factories. They can do very high quality things. But it is not very cheap. And they can do things very cheap, if you don't want to pay more...

Ive had a Dorman (Chinese made) that was terrible. The fit on the crank was sloppy/loose. Had to return it for another. Since then I'll only run a Fluid Damper witch BTW I can get for $390 + ship.

Always run ACDelco and I usually replace both the damper and the damper pulley together. The price of the ACdelco is steady going up making Leroy's price on the fluidamper look alot better.

Here is the thing: these engines are known to have the lower end go bad. Cracking in the main webs and crankshaft failure. Both of these problems are eliviated by less stress to the crank by a good balancer. Bad balancer = faster cracking of the main webs and / or broken crankshaft. Consider the balancer long term maintainence.

From reading a bunch of different info you find the doorman is the cheapest and averages around 75,000 miles.
The AC Delco is more money, and good on average for 150,000 miles. The fluid damper is a little more money yet, but no one has ever had engine failure from one on any engine they build them for, so consider it a lifetime part. These mileages are subjective, and considered the "safe" time to swap them out.

The question is how long do you want the truck? How much money extra are you willing to spend as insurance on a known major failure part. I grew up in Las Vegas, so I understand gambling, and once my balancer starts to show any wear, it gets replaced with a fluid damper.

I'll try to tell about it.
In Russia there are a lot of old trucks. You can buy the engine from broken trucks. But engines such trucks in need of repair. Good condition engine you can buy in the USA. Sea shipping is not very expensive. I brought the engine in the summer. I bought it on eBay. Delivery to Miami Seaport was $ 400. Sea shipping to Klaipeda $ 800. Then delivery to Minsk $ 300. From Minsk, I took it on the truck..

Also in Russia, there is a popular business MOTORS SALES FROM EUROPE U.S. AND JAPAN. But it is expensive.
I prefer to buy spare parts from US and repair engines.

Back