• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

need tuner

Im with whitetrash. My REAL tunes I try to make as smoke free as possible, if I want to blow smoke I can, but ive found a lot of times I acidentally do.

i think i would be happy with 20 mpg on the highway to tell you the truth

ya ive always read that smoke is wasted power so its not all that good, but i think itd be badass to blackout a road if you wanted to ;)

i really dont smoke all that much now. i cant nearly blackout a road and i only smoke when i gun it. do yall think runnin a low tune (under 90 extra hp) will get me a lot of smoke? or does that depend entirely on what tuner and how i drive?

Mostly depends on the tuner.

The smoke is down low. The 90hp is at high RPMs. So it just depends if it fuels hard.

I got bored this afternoon and made a tune where my truck has a lopey idle and a nice big puff of smoke each time it lopes. The only reason I did it is to be cool like all of the cummins guys running a lot of fuel at the pulls.

I run a Quadzilla Stealth2 on my LBZ. I ultimately want to someday go with EFI but I could not pass up the deal on my Quadzilla tuner. I recently lifted my truck 6" and run 35" X 20" Toyo M/T's and still get 16-17 MPG (mixed driving) running the 90HP tune all the time. I like that tune beacause it does not smoke until you stick your foot in it then she burns coal like the best of them. The 110 tune smokes moderately and the 135 tune smokes a bunch. Performance is great on all tunes and I was able to calibrate my speedo, remove the speed limiter, and read and reset DTC's.

Thinking about what someone said about the dealer "sifting through the ecm", what gives with that? When you think about it they are doing that to deny your warranty. Soooo, that means they are going to be charging you, the customer, diagnostics time for them to take all that time to try and find something to deny you warranty coverage. I wouldn't pay the bill. They are charging you diagnostics time to fix your vehicle, when what they were doing has nothing to do with fixing it.

^^ its true.

Thats the thing about my dealer I can take my truck in with a blown turbo and tell them to replace my ball joints and they will do it without mentioning anything about the turbo.

The rookie mechnics up there have a hard time getting used to the ingnore everything else fix what your told policy. But I like it, because I know my truck so I knows what broke, sometimes I just need them to fix it or there is warrenty work.

What I was told by the Service Manager at my local dealer was that he thought programmers were great and he is all for them BUT when you bring your truck in for service, make sure you put the stock tune back in just in case they need to re-flash your ECM. I have had mine re-flashed or updated once before for a problem so it makes sense. He told me someone just had to pay $1200 for a new ECM because it locked up due to having a custom tune installed at time of re-flash.

BS or not it makes sense what he told me so I reinstall my stock tune before taking it in for service or warranty work. I paid enough for this truck and don't want to screw up my warranty by doing something to it that will void my warranty. I talked to the SM before I had my lift installed and he said "If you bring your truck in with a bad hub and you have a lift installed, It's your problem. But, if you have an injector go bad or anything else not related to your lift, it's our problem and we'll fix it."

That's the other thing. I don't want a dealer just re-flashing my ecm without asking my permission. I would like to know what the re-flash is going to change before I OK it. Just because it's free doesn't mean that I want it. It may be a re-flash designed to reduce emissions that also reduces power, or something along those lines. There should be a law that says they are not allowed to perform any kind of work without specifically getting your permission.

That's the other thing. I don't want a dealer just re-flashing my ecm without asking my permission. I would like to know what the re-flash is going to change before I OK it. Just because it's free doesn't mean that I want it. It may be a re-flash designed to reduce emissions that also reduces power, or something along those lines. There should be a law that says they are not allowed to perform any kind of work without specifically getting your permission.

I agree with you. At the time, it was before my Quadzilla and I threw a code and the truck was shifting like it was in tow mode so I brought it in under warranty and they reset my code and then reflashed my ECM with an update. Been running great ever since.

I always flash my truck back to the original stock tune before taking it in, for curtosy sakes. I also take all of my big tunes off the DSP5 so just incase the kid who sweeps the floor gets a crazy Idea nothing will get broke.

It doesnt matter to me if the new flash updates things. When I get it back the stock tune that was in it before gets put back in.

dam i missed a lot. gmclbz told me the ppe has much smoother shifts than the predator. the economy only has 3 tunes for 415 shipped. thats a pretty attractive offer if i can read dtc's and correct for tires.

so a tune that fuels hard down low is more likely to hurt your beloved tranny than one that fuels hard up high? bear with me in new to this kinda crap

basically i wanna be able to black out the street when i really want to, but i dont really wanna be blowin smoke leavin a stop sign if that makes any sense ;)

You control it all with that skinny pedal on the right. I can floor it and throw plenty of smoke at a stop sign, or I can drive like normal and not throw any. I think fueling hard on the top is just as dangerous. The only time I've had any problems with mine is the 5th gear shift. It pulls like a mother in the middle, which I think is probably where you want to pull.

You probably won't get much smoke at all until you get into the 160 tune. If you plan on running that tune very much I would highly recommend a transgo jr. shift kit just to be safe. You would be fine on the 90 tune with a completely stock trans. Hope this helps.

Fueling up high will still slip it, but Id be more worried about EGTs then.

The trque is what slips the tranny, and our torque comes in low, then levels off a little throughout the powerband as the hp rises.

You probably won't get much smoke at all until you get into the 160 tune. If you plan on running that tune very much I would highly recommend a transgo jr. shift kit just to be safe. You would be fine on the 90 tune with a completely stock trans. Hope this helps.

dam 160? eh idk if i wanna go that high on my baby just yet lol. how much smoke do you consider a lot? maybe thats the problem in this part of the discussion cuz you guys that do this stuff everyday and pull and stuff are so used to it.

for example: take durallymax's avatar.

thats an ass load of smoke imo. sh!ts badass

Fueling up high will still slip it, but Id be more worried about EGTs then.

The trque is what slips the tranny, and our torque comes in low, then levels off a little throughout the powerband as the hp rises.

ok so if im runnin a 85 or 90 tune, and gass it leaving a stop sign to blow a little smoke and im gonna limp?

dam 160? eh idk if i wanna go that high on my baby just yet lol. how much smoke do you consider a lot? maybe thats the problem in this part of the discussion cuz you guys that do this stuff everyday and pull and stuff are so used to it.

for example: take durallymax's avatar.

thats an ass load of smoke imo. sh!ts badass

ok so if im runnin a 85 or 90 tune, and gass it leaving a stop sign to blow a little smoke and im gonna limp?

No, leaving a stop sign with a smaller tune like that isn't going to limp your trans. There is a local guy with an 06' Lbz that has only limp his trans on the PPE 225 Hp setting pulling 10k. So you should be fine!

Back