• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

need tuner

jackh

Reaction score
i need something that has a few diff tunes on it to choose from and has atleast one economy tune to save fuel. i need to correct my speedo for my 33s and id like to be able to read and delete dtc when i want to.

the ones im interested in so far are:
banks ottomind
diablosport predator(?)
PPE
EFI live is just out of my price range

im leaning towards the diablosport right now bc of the power gains and a boasted 30% increase in fuel economy. but, a tune by someone with efi live that wont void my warranty is still an option if i could find someone to do it :)

any comments/suggestions?

i need something that has a few diff tunes on it to choose from and has atleast one economy tune to save fuel. i need to correct my speedo for my 33s and id like to be able to read and delete dtc when i want to.

the ones im interested in so far are:
banks ottomind
diablosport predator(?)
PPE
EFI live is just out of my price range

im leaning towards the diablosport right now bc of the power gains and a boasted 30% increase in fuel economy. but, a tune by someone with efi live that wont void my warranty is still an option if i could find someone to do it :)

any comments/suggestions?

If you are looking for mileage, I would highly recommend PPE. I got an average of 17 around town with 285's on the 90 HP setting. It also leaves room to go with bigger tunes down the road.

If you would like some pricing let me know. :beer:

PPE or Diablosport. I would have gone to PPE, but I couldnt pass up the deal I got on the Predator. So far, I am impressed with the Predator all around. You cant go wrong between the two in my opinion.;)

I don't have experience with the PPE, but the predator worked good for me. I've heard nothing but good things about PPE too...

PPE if you have the cash.

Diablosport if you dont.

Edge if you want an all around package but you cant correct the speedo.

And my favorite, EFI Live if you have the time and patience.

17 city is not bad :)

i think ill go with the diablosport. they advertise free updates online and the ability to store five custom tunes from some authorized dealer or something like that also. probably wont use that but i really needa correct my speedo and get better mileage

will it void my warranty?

quadzilla aint bad either. stealth 2 has 10 tunes (including a mileage tune) and the top 2 are tranny killers :D.... found that out the hard way. its also not wired in, so you can remove the tune and return to stock if you ever gotta go to the dealer. (or court on an emissions charge :D... been there too)

90,110,135 tunes are all pretty trans safe and they all pull really hard. even runnin the 110 all the time now, i still avg 16-17 and thats with a gvw of ~9k lbs all day, everyday.

Theretically any tune under 100hp is considered pretty safe especially if it doesnt fuel hard down low.

The allison itself is designed to handle an extra 40hp and 100lb-ft.

It wont void your warrrenty. BUT some dealers put up a fit about it. In order for it to void your warrenty they have to prove the aftermarket product caused the failure. So If your A/C goes out they cant blame it on the tuner.

Now if your tranny goes out, then they have all they need to say it was the tuning.

With the diablosport you can set it back to stock and be fine.

Even tuners that advertise no fingerprint still leave a fingerprint. But the tech has to spend a lot of time trying to find it in the ecm. And honestly, if your dealer takes the time to try to do that, he obviously doesnt want your business that bad, or he doesnt want a good relationship.

quadzilla aint bad either. stealth 2 has 10 tunes (including a mileage tune) and the top 2 are tranny killers :D.... found that out the hard way. its also not wired in, so you can remove the tune and return to stock if you ever gotta go to the dealer. (or court on an emissions charge :D... been there too)

90,110,135 tunes are all pretty trans safe and they all pull really hard. even runnin the 110 all the time now, i still avg 16-17 and thats with a gvw of ~9k lbs all day, everyday.

your runnin a 110 tune all the time? you got a stock tranny? i thought you needed to stay under 90 extra hp to be safe on your tranny?

i have a feeling if i start blowin smoke ill be there too ;)

Theretically any tune under 100hp is considered pretty safe especially if it doesnt fuel hard down low.

The allison itself is designed to handle an extra 40hp and 100lb-ft.

It wont void your warrrenty. BUT some dealers put up a fit about it. In order for it to void your warrenty they have to prove the aftermarket product caused the failure. So If your A/C goes out they cant blame it on the tuner.

Now if your tranny goes out, then they have all they need to say it was the tuning.

With the diablosport you can set it back to stock and be fine.

Even tuners that advertise no fingerprint still leave a fingerprint. But the tech has to spend a lot of time trying to find it in the ecm. And honestly, if your dealer takes the time to try to do that, he obviously doesnt want your business that bad, or he doesnt want a good relationship.

ya that all makes sense. cant they check like the boost pressure or something like that also and if its over stock they can tell?

i think im leanin towards the diablosport mainly cuz it delivers power but advertises 30% increase in mileage. i could really use that

The ATS E-Power is the same as the PPE HOT +2 but half the price. It might be a little more than what you want though. I have also run the predator back in the day. It was OK but I thought it performed better when stacked with the 6 gun.

TLike I said they CAN find tuning mods, but will they take the time??

I doubt youll come close to a 30% increase. Like I just discussed with GmcLbz over the phone. You get the same maybe a little better economy, but you get more power for every gallon you use.

We run the edge on 3 on our 02 and run this piss out of it. The Economy is the same as our stock 03 but it gets the load going a lot faster. On level 5 I noticed there is a lot of timing rattle up high in the RPM range.

I have run the Predator and the Edge EVO. You can't go wrong with either one IMHO. I got an average of 18.6 mpg on the hiway (7 trips) @ 72 mph with the EVO on level 2. The Predator on levels 2 & 3 gave me an average of 18.2 mpg @ 72 mph on the hiway (5 trips). The Predator makes its power earlier in the rpm range, but the EVO got me a little better fuel economy.

i really dont have the money to go into tranny, turbo, intercooler etc upgrades so i think the diablosport will be good enough for now. if i ever do get more into it ill prob go with efi live cuz you can basically do anything with it (right?).

cowdoc- i hand calculated out to 18mpg on the highway on a 200ish mile trip. went through like 5 small towns on the way so i slowed down then but i probably averaged a little over 70 mph. you think ill get even better with the tuner? that was with my tires and intake, dont think i had the exhaust yet though.

Almost anything with EFI Live. Sometimes too much.

Liek I said the tuner might nt get you a lot better economy but youll have more power for every gallon you use.

your runnin a 110 tune all the time? you got a stock tranny? i thought you needed to stay under 90 extra hp to be safe on your tranny?

i have a feeling if i start blowin smoke ill be there too ;)

thats the theory.

i run the piss out of mine. limped it 3 times on the 135 tune, but that was with the truck @ 10k lbs. too much power for that much weight and the way i drive. turned it down to 110, learn when to stomp on it and when not to, and haven't limped it since.

a lot of how your trans survives is how you drive. luggin the motor in d or od and layin into it is hard on them. low line pressure with lots of resistance = oh shiit!! ....

smoke is a byproduct of added power in canned tunes. sometimes its fun, but most of the time i end up foggin out roads when i dont intend to, especially as heavy as the truck is.... creates a lot of load on the motor so it smokes LOTS before the turbo lights.

cowdoc- i hand calculated out to 18mpg on the highway on a 200ish mile trip. went through like 5 small towns on the way so i slowed down then but i probably averaged a little over 70 mph. you think ill get even better with the tuner? that was with my tires and intake, dont think i had the exhaust yet though.

You may get a little beter than that (19-20) but I wouldn't expect anywhere near 30% more.

Back