• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need Some, Umm, Legal Advice On My New LED's... :)

Mad Maxx

See, what had happened was...
Reaction score
Ok, so I got the Clear Cab Lights for my Ram, and they came with Orange Halogen Bulbs. I didn't like the way they Looked at Night, so I thought I'd Throw some White LED's in there.

Well, the LED's came in Today, I Installed them, and even during the Day, they were pretty damn Bright.

So I just went Out to See what they Look like at Night...and yea, THEY'RE BRIGHT AS HELL.

So what I wanna know is what you Guys Think about them being Legal? IMO, they are. They're White (not an Illegal Color), Constant On (not Flashing), and Forward Facing. Just the Brightness has me Wondering. But some Big Rigs with all their LED's and Lights on them can be pretty damn Bright at Times too, so I dunno?

Here's some Pics, and that First Dark one is to Show how Bright they really are, if I Turn Out the Headlights, they actually Light Up whatever is Infront of me with a Dim Glow and I can See what it is and where I'm going, but still not enough to "Legally" Drive with: :eek::cool::

IMG-20101203-00031.jpgIMG-20101203-00029.jpgIMG-20101203-00027.jpgIMG-20101203-00030.jpgIMG-20101203-00028.jpgIMG-20101203-00026.jpg

I'll have to agree they sure are bright. I say run it and see what happens. If the law has a problem I am sure they will let you know.....:cop:

Yea, that's what I'm Thinking. I hope they don't care because it Looks awesome.

Especially when I get the LED Signal Lights to Match, and throw the HID's in the Projectors.

Just gotta figure out why the Running Light Portion of the LED won't Work in the OEM Socket. If I Wiggle the LED Bulb it'll Work, but if I just Snap it In, it won't. Turn Signal Works fine. Halogen Bulbs Work Fine too. I've Tried different LED's and it's still the same, so it much be something with the Dimensions on the LED Bulb Base of them being "just right" so they don't Work.

I think you might run into problems with them being white, depending on NY state laws. I know in MN you can't have more than 4 forward facing white lights, including headlights, fogs, etc. Is there no amber LED that will fit in there?

I think you might run into problems with them being white, depending on NY state laws. I know in MN you can't have more than 4 forward facing white lights, including headlights, fogs, etc. Is there no amber LED that will fit in there?

There is. I just wanted White because I'm doing all the Front Lights on the Truck either White LED or 4300k HID. So it's all gonna Look Uniform and the same Color.

What about your park/turn signals? I don't think the roof lights will look out of place w/ them?

Or are you going to use switchbacks?

I think you're supposed to have at least one forward facing amber light.

What about your park/turn signals? I don't think the roof lights will look out of place w/ them?

Or are you going to use switchbacks?

I think you're supposed to have at least one forward facing amber light.

I was gonna Use the Switchbacks like I have on my Duramax. The Running Light is White and the Turn is Amber.

But right now, as you can See, I just got Amber Halogens in the Running / Turn.

No law in NYS that I know of about too many forward facing lights. I remember looking that up a few years ago.

I wouldn't stop you.

Here's Idaho's statute.

TITLE 49
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 9
VEHICLE EQUIPMENT
49-910.Color of clearance lamps, side marker lamps, and reflectors. (1) Front clearance lamps and marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display or reflect an amber color.
(2) Rear clearance lamps and marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the rear or on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall display or reflect a red color.
(3) All lighting devices and reflectors mounted on the rear of any vehicle shall display or reflect a red color, except the stoplight or other signal device, which may be red, amber, or yellow, and except that the light illuminating the license plate shall be white and the light emitted by a back-up lamp may be white, amber, or red.

I've always thought this was based on some federal mandate, but maybe not??

If your lights were blinding oncoming drivers I'd probably have a chat with you. There's also a statute about only 4 white driving lights, wouldn't really apply to those clearance lights because of technical definitions. Pretty much just keeping those who have a string of KC lights across the top of their truck from blinding anyone going the other way.

I know a guy I know was hassled by a state trooper for having a ton of "marker" (I call them chicken) lights on his Ram, but since they were all the proper color in the proper direction she couldn't pin him for anything. I guess you're gonna have to drive around and see what happens. ;)

Alright, maybe I'll "give it a go" Tonight and Drive around and See what Happens. :)

I hope I don't get Stopped though, because like I said, it Looks Awesome.

I'm amazed that I have to explain.

Blinded drivers cannot see the road ahead, thus they veer and crash- Sometimes into solid immovovable objects, sometimes into on-coming traffic.

I've seen it happen.

Best of luck.

Well...I'd say I'm good to Go.

Went for a Ride, the Village Police were Sitting at the End of my Driveway like they always do (Good Hiding Spot to Catch Speeders), he didn't Pull me Over, went trough the Next Town Over, didn't get Stopped, LOTS of People Looking though :). Came Home, and as I was putting the CTEK back on the Truck, the Village LEO came back Up my Road, def. Saw me Outside, and just kept goin. So I'm sure if he Saw me Leave, then Saw me in the Driveway, if there was something to Question about the Lights, I'm sure he woulda Stopped.

Well...I'd say I'm good to Go.

Went for a Ride, the Village Police were Sitting at the End of my Driveway like they always do (Good Hiding Spot to Catch Speeders), he didn't Pull me Over, went trough the Next Town Over, didn't get Stopped, LOTS of People Looking though :). Came Home, and as I was putting the CTEK back on the Truck, the Village LEO came back Up my Road, def. Saw me Outside, and just kept goin. So I'm sure if he Saw me Leave, then Saw me in the Driveway, if there was something to Question about the Lights, I'm sure he woulda Stopped.

Good to hear, see any accidents in the rearview...?

Back