• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need some Steering Love on the 05.

Ed HD

Formerly: Dad's 05 LLY
Reaction score
Did the yearly maintenance today (Oil & Filter, Fuel Filter, Trans Filter, Grease & Rotate tires(About 12k mi/year)) and noticed that the steering idler and pitman joint were looser than I'd like, and that the tie-rods were not real tight anymore. What are the recommended replacement parts? Moog? I do remember there was a rash of issues a few years ago with guys with braces and certain parts

I'd prefer to do any upgrades I can as well. What tie-rod ends/sleeves are the best? Not going to do any boosted 4x4 launches at the strip, but looking to upgrade factory weak points, as this truck gets used hard...

Thanks for the help.

I was informed the the MOGG pieces don't work with the braces as they changed there thread pitch on them and the nuts in the brace kit don't thread onto them.

Go to Rock Auto and buy Moog 'problem solvers' across the board for the whole front end steering gear and UCA assemblies while you're at it. Stay away from Cognito braces. Too many failures to suit me and you aren't beating on it anyhow. Tie rod sleeves? IDK about the benefit to those but if you off road alot on the farm they might be worth a try.

Mine are sleeved and braced for farm work I don't do Boosted 4x4 launches but pulling a load of hay out of a sandy field takes all the 4x4 power Ive got.

The Moog pitman always makes my wheel 1/4 turn off. Ac delco wasn't that way. Otherwise I have no problems w/ Moog.

Ball joints are solid. Just gonna do the steering for now.

Also (FINALLY) got an intake ordered. I think showing the stock flat panel paper filter bowed in proved that it was needed for this truck...

Back