• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need new radiator

Joey D

Reaction score
Is there a better option than the dealer for a new radiator? I would like an all aluminum 4 core but can't find one.

I read her post but it looks like it compares to the stock one. If I am going to replace I would like a upgrade.
I did some searching online and Griffin may have one available, I will have to call them in the am to see.

Depending upon where you are at, I have a low milage factory HD one in the shop from my swap. It had less than 5K miles on it when I tore it down for the swap and cost me about $325 dealer cost when I bought it in 06. It's the heavier of the 2 as GM lists 2 different radiators for the 6.5.

try here and look up an all aluminum rad for your year truck. i think you have to call them for the aluminum rads.

i'm guessing they make them when one is needed. building and storing aluminum rads for dozens of vehicles and waiting for them to sell is costly. I've never bought one(yet) and i haven't called them.

it's a 2 core but its all tig welded. I've seen one in person and they are built really well and cool very well too. my buddy's father put on in his S10 plow truck and it does run cooler.

genesisautoparts.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to see someone ginnea pig the V2 badboy that supposedly solves the D-Max's issues. I guess its made by a member here?

I thought about the brass one, but after reading up on the differences between brass and aluminum construction, concluded that the brass one probably wouldn't cool any better. I imagine the $300 price difference tended to sway my opinion as well.

What's this V2? Will it fit in our trucks? Where does one find out about it?

Get a Visteon (brand) replacement. These are OEM or better quality and will drop right in and go to work.

I have purchased 2 of these so far this summer. One for DaHoooley and recently one for the 94 Burb.

Both rigs had the factory radiators that were just used up.

I paid $235 for mine (Jober pricing as I bought it through my company) They are still not too high a price over the counter though.

These radiators will do the best job you can get without going to a custom unit for the BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ The core size is the limiting factor here. Thicker is not always better. The stock radiator is a large 3 core aluminum with plastic tanks.

I hate plastic but they do seem to hold up fairly well.

My 94 Burb had 270K on the original and the only failure was the upper hose bib broke off just behind the clamp ridge and it started leaking.

Still cooled fine though.

Missy

What's this V2? Will it fit in our trucks? Where does one find out about it?

From what I understood it's not a radiator (persey), but more of a addition to the cooling system........One of the members here came up with it.

This is the info from Nick, member Unit453;

This is a highly controversial question with numerous million dollar answers.

This supposedly plagued the 04.5 and 05 trucks with the second generation LLY's. Now, I had an LLY for 3 years and I never had a problem. I guess the cooling system was sub par for the amount of power the truck made and there are several theories about why they overheated, although to this day, no one, to include GM can tell us why.

When you worked them hard, they'd run hot. Real hot so that all the bells and whistles go off and it reduces power electronically automatically. I worked mine pretty good on every grade along the east coast, some with full throttle romps with 4-5 tons in tow, running a 90 h.p. tune. I only heard the fan kick on a handful of times. Some say that by the time you heard the fan it was too late. Some say the gauges lie. Some say it didnt effect all LLY's. Some say it did. Some could overheat with 1000 lbs in trail on flat ground. Some couldnt get it over 200 degrees with 20k going up a grade at 100 degrees at 80 mph. All we know now is that none of these trucks were the same. They all vary in mileage, performance and towing abilities. No two are alike and this goes for all 4 generations so far, covering years 2001 through 2009.

After years of bickering about this on many sites like this, people came up with some ideas to fix the problem that GM could never solve. The V2 radiator, built by TXChristopher and tested by Rick Lance was the most successful modification to the issue. GM learned their lessons as well by strengthening the cooling systems substantially for the 2006 model year and the intro to the 3rd generation.

I've never heard of anyone installing a TXC V2 radiator to a 6.5 but I'm sure it would work wonders. I'm curious about fitment of those into these trucks.

I just talked with Griffin radiators and they will build one if I send them my old one to match up to. Between 550 and 650 for all aluminum

He said 2 row 1in tubes. I asked why not a 3 or a 4 and he said it's not needed on there radiator. I want to think he's right but then again.

Back