• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need more space in the nose. Kodiak/Topkick parts maybe?

great white

Reaction score
Odd question to an idea that has been rolling around in my head lately and I probably already know the answer too:

Has anyone ever tried to graft a Kodiak/Topkick nose on to a GMT400?

I'm thinking a dually would be needed to round out the rear and the front clip would have to be extensively reworked to fit the fenders into the body lines. Are they fiberglass? I'm thinking I read they were.....easy as pie for me to rework that and no more rust.....maybe a bit less weight too, or at least the same as the GMT 400 front end......:???:

The mid 90's kodiak's were GMT 400 cabs which takes care of the nose to cab interface/fitting.

A bit of custom work with the lights would also be called for. Maybe graft the GMT 400 composite lights into the Kod/Top fenders......:???:

The grill opening would no longer be an issue for getting air in:

GMC_TopKick.JPG

It's pretty much the whole front of the truck.

Bigger rad could also be installed. Probably have to add a bit of bracing for the rad support/inner fenders,

Would need a better way to get all that air out but I've already got a few things in the hopper for that.....

Custom bumper would also be needed.

That would sure solve a lot of problems I'm having with working out space issues and packaging in the nose of the truck.

Might look kinda "tough" too. It sure would be unique.

I think if done right, it would look much better that those kodiak/topkicks turned into pickups look:

33879840002_large.jpg

(although the one above is particularly well done!)

Google doesn't turn up anything.

I'm going to have to find a Kod/Top to have a look up close (in person) and see what's going on in there.

I'm going to bang off a quick photochop later and see what it looks like.

I probably won't ever get past the "thinkin' about it" stage, but I think it'll at least be an interesting design exercise....

Last edited:
i think that would look sweeeeeeet. the red on that you posted looks good but i dont care for the fule tanks on the side it looks odd with them there i think taking a truck and putting the front end of the kodiac on would be sweet

heres a question. are the front wheels farther apart then on a gmt400? also im not sure that you would gain more room under the hood since you will be loosing all the space over the wheels.

Bet it would quickly turn into a CF.

On the 'getting air in' deal, I think we have more of an issue of getting the hot air OUT.

IMO Paveltolz has the right idea. It's based on same principal of how a lot of big trucks flow air in and out of the nose.

In the pic note the rear of the hood and the cowl area on this century class . Lot's of air.

P1010074.jpg

Bet it would quickly turn into a CF.

On the 'getting air in' deal, I think we have more of an issue of getting the hot air OUT.

IMO Paveltolz has the right idea. It's based on same principal of how a lot of big trucks flow air in and out of the nose.

In the pic note the rear of the hood and the cowl area on this century class . Lot's of air.

View attachment 29128

Already been thinking about it:

DSC03877.jpg

But I'm not just after more air movement, I'm after more space.......

Just throwing this out. If you had a HD truck with solid front axle you might could go with a wider axle to fill up the wheel wells. Definately would need a dually to ballance the look front to rear.
The concept sound very cool. Get after the photo shop and design something up.

Off topic: I have been designing in my mind a 3 wheel diesel AWD car (two wheels up front) The mechanicals are easy, its the body design that stumps me.

Here's a quick and dirty chop:

quick.jpg

Shows potential.

Kind of reminds me of a dodge.....:rolleyes5:

I need to refine the image a bit more.

May find some time to play with it today.....

Here's a quick and dirty chop:

quick.jpg

Shows potential.

Kind of reminds me of a dodge.....:rolleyes5:

I need to refine the image a bit more.

May find some time to play with it today.....

I like the idea a lot. ......... I think other "big truck" stuff on it woul help offset the look of the huge hood and front fenders. West coast style, or at least bigger than stock, mirrors, stacks, 19.5 alcoa's, etc.

Fix the license plate in your photoshop pic :D

the roof line looks a lot higher and degree of slope. i have thought about this also. look here for a real diesel car that would get good mileage. also look ate the bed cap for the truck, i would get one. i built a concept for mine, heavy and ugly but i think it worked. got lots of comments, mostly negative.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ultimate-aerodynamic-car-dave-clouds-dolphin-13142.html
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/commercially-produced-aerodynamic-pickup-bed-cap-583.html
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/silverado-aerocap-build-thread-11611.html

I don't think you're gaining under-hood space with this for mounting things, because you're losing the inner fenders....

Make some? With all the space available you could relocate both batteries to custom inner fenders.
Whats the Top kick do for inner fenders?

Make some? With all the space available you could relocate both batteries to custom inner fenders.
Whats the Top kick do for inner fenders?

Well, It's been a while since I've seen one in person but I think it's mostly a rubber flap.

Problem with putting steel fenderwells in there is the whole front clip tilts forward. Hard fenders would make it difficult to get in there to do any work....

Top kick hoods flip foward right???

Why not weld/ build the current front clip to flip foward as one piece and graft in a couple inches of height above the original body line. U

When doing that you could redesign the core supports and what not. Leave the inner fenders grafted (but removable)to the cab and frame.

Make the nose of the truck higher instead of sloped for aerodynamics like normal. Might look boxy but IMO it would be tough.

You could probably chop the top kick fenders off a few inches and go that route too.

Use a 3500HD space filler possibly if needed.

I have been thinking this out in my head for awhile but I just dont really have the $ or body/ fiberglass working skills.

Back