• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need Mercedes 2.4 N/A Diesel Specs

handcannon

Reaction score
I've been searching for dimensions of the Mercedes 2.4 N/A diesel motor, unsuccessfully. I don't have a motor readily available for measuring. This motor has a very strangely shaped oil pan, nothing like american cars.

From pics the pan appears to be two piece. The upper portion seems to be an aluminum casting, most of which appears to be not much larger than the swing of the crank and is totally enclosed on the bottom. At the front end the pan is open on the bottom and splays out wider than the block. This portion has a stamped steel sump on it.

The measurements I'm looking for are horizontally from the bellhousing mounting surface to the front of the fan blade, the vertical height from behind the oil pan sump to the highest point of the complete motor, and horizontally from the back of the oil pan sump to the front of the fan blade.

Any help, links, etc would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Don

Thank you. I do have that site saved. My first time through there I didn't see anything for engine dimensions. Do you have any suggestions on that site?

I've continued my search, but so far unsuccessful. I've found lots of pics, HP and torque specs, bore and stroke, etc, but not the dimensions I need.

Don

Thank you for the link. Yes, the OM616 is what I'm looking for info on. From what I know, and all info that I can find, it was a very reliable diesel motor, and with parts readily available.

My Dad bought a new Datsun 620 pickup back in 1973. I now have that pickup, but it needs a motor. It has over 200K miles on it. The current motor acted like it jumped time, and with the number of miles on it I'm not really wanting to put a lot of money into trying to fix the problem. I'm in need of a cheep to run, reliable, daily driver, but I have very little money available to buy anything. Although it used to get in the mid 20's for MPG I'd like to have something that will do more.

I have located an MB 123 bodied car (not sure of year) with the 616 motor and 4 speed manual transmission. Due to a mouse chewing up underdash wiring it is now a parts car, and the owner has told me that he should sell it. The car is not close to me, otherwise I could take measurements directly from it. From pics of the 240D motor, and looking over the Datsun engine compartment, it appears that the 240D, and transmission, would fit. But, I want to be more certain before putting too much time into follow up on this.

Don

Ferm

Just read the thread in that link. Excellent info! That answered all but one of my questions. Because of odd the OM616 oil pan shape, how much distance between the back of the sump and the fan mounting surface. Except for knowing this distance the OM616 will be a good fit.

The Datsun has a crossmember about mid way front to back. The tie rod is in front of that crossmember. With the motor still in place it is not easy to measure, but it appears I have about 12 1/4" between the tie rod and the fan side of the radiator. What I need to know now is will the OM616 sump fit in this space and allow adequate air space between the fan and rad.

Don

Ferm

Just read the thread in that link. Excellent info! That answered all but one of my questions. Because of odd the OM616 oil pan shape, how much distance between the back of the sump and the fan mounting surface. Except for knowing this distance the OM616 will be a good fit.

The Datsun has a crossmember about mid way front to back. The tie rod is in front of that crossmember. With the motor still in place it is not easy to measure, but it appears I have about 12 1/4" between the tie rod and the fan side of the radiator. What I need to know now is will the OM616 sump fit in this space and allow adequate air space between the fan and rad.

Don

Hi Don,

I'm wondering if you successfully completed this project? Or successfully started it ?
Thank you!
z

Welcome to TTS! I see that you are in Southern Oregon. Close to the I-5 corridor?

Just now saw your question. Been very busy around the property/garden and haven't regularly been on here lately. To answer your question, I never went any further with this particular motor. After more searching I came to the conclusion that the shape/size of the oil pan wouldn't allow for an easy swap into the Datsun engine compartment. Not enough space between the radiator and the tie rod.

I did find a 1981/1982 Nissan SD-22 diesel motor and 5 speed transmission, which should be an almost drop in for the Datsun. The biggest part of the project appears to be a mis-alignment of the gasser motor mount and the SD-22 motor mount. I actually got the motor running while setting on the floor, but I'm now waiting for some slack time to do the swap. Hopefully sometime this summer.

Don

Back