• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need LB7 2003 advice on injectors, glow plugs and lift pump C2500 Not my truck. I know nothing abou

jrsavoie

Recruit
Reaction score
Need LB7 2003 advice on injectors, glow plugs and lift pump C2500

Not my truck. I know nothing about the LB7.

A buddy's truck. He hasn't had to do anything to it since he bought it. He isn't in any better health than I am.

He is wanting to change injectors and glow plugs.

Is there an all inclusive kit? Where is the best place to buy all the parts?

How much money is involved?

Could you link me to good threads on the subject? I'm sure there are many.

I haven't had time to look. I've been in the house all of 3 minutes and I'm going to bed as soon as I post this.

He also said that he used to hear a lift pump sound when he hit the key. that he does not hear anymore. The dealer told him there is no lift pump.

He also has an air leak. If the truck sits for a long time, he has to pump air out of the filter. Are there normal places to start looking? May be the fuel filter housing?

Any advice and links to threads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Look for bubbles when pumping primer right around primer base itself. Sucking air needs to be eliminated before doing any other work. It can cause symptoms of starting and running problems. If you have to, rent a smoke pro to find the leak.

Sounds like the fuel filter head need a rebuild. HERE is a link to the one I used but I'm not sure on the older one. Glow plugs are a pretty straight forward deal and there are a few threads in the maintenance section or DIY. They can be a problem due to rust! As for injectors, the LB7 ones are inside the valve covers so more involved than LLY and up. There may be some threads around on those.

LINCOLN DIESEL still has the best prices I have seen for GOOD remans. There are cheaper out there, but those have proven rather problematic to say teh least. For glow plugs, you want to run the AC DELCO BERU's. ROCKAUTO used to have good prices on them. There is no lift pump on any DURAMAX except for the DURAMAX van's. The lift pump sound he was hearing was most likely the ECM stroking the fuel pressure regulator through it's range. Mine and several others do this sometimes, but not all the time. It makes a sort of high pitch buzz that is not a constant sound for maybe 2 seconds. I hear it the most when the hood is up. And if it is a federal emissions truck in the salt belt, also plan on replacing the glow plug bus bars. The power for the glow plugs in a federal emissions truck goes from the relay to the #8 glow plug, through the bus bar to #2, then through a wire across to #1 and down the passenger side bus bar to #7. They are known to rust out just in front of #8, and then you get just 1 glow plug working, but no check engine light.

HERE is a link to the glow plugs I bought for the LBZ. IIRC they are the same for all DMaxes through LMM. These are the OEM German ones Ferm refers to

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
HERE is a link to the glow plugs I bought for the LBZ. IIRC they are the same for all DMaxes through LMM. These are the OEM German ones Ferm refers to
There are 3 different glow plugs for the DURAMAX from 01-10, LBZ's will NOT work as they are 4.7V plugs. LB7 are 11 volt standard glow plugs, LLY are 4.7V glow plugs but are rapid heat heat carbon pile and use the LB7 threads, and LBZ/LMM are 4.7V, but use a different thread style. Be ABSOLUTELY certain you get LB7 glow plugs. LLY's can explode if hit with 12 volts.

ACDELCO 62G's for LB7. LLY's look the same, but are different internally.
62G_Primary__ra_p.jpg

ACDELCO 61G's for LBZ/LMM. You can see the difference in the threads and design. They will not even thread in and allow it to start.
61G_Primary__ra_p.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Can you ohm test these glow plugs in the engine?

Is there a kit to space out the fuel filter housing somehow? To make it easier to change the filter?

Does this truck have a fuel pump in the tank?

Last edited:
Can you ohm test these glow plugs in the engine?

Is there a kit to space out the fuel filter housing somehow? To make it easier to change the filter?

Does this truck have a fuel pump in the tank?
Yes you can ohm out the glow plugs just like a 6.5's, but like a 6.5 it isn't always accurate(but LB7's unless it has CALI emissions rarely have glow plug trouble, CALI emission LB7's do go through glow plugs). There used to be a kit from MERCHANT I believe to space the fuel filter housing out. And unless it is a cab and chassis with dual tanks, there is no fuel pump anywhere to move fuel up, it uses the gear driven pump in the end of the high pressure pump to pull the fuel forward.

I just put a couple of 3/16 thick washers behind the fuel filter housing. Couldn't see spending a bundle of money for the spacer kit. I think it was 25 bucks or so. I bought a water in fuel sensor plug too. I've never gotten any more than a couple of water drops in any fuel and it's a prime spot for leaks anyhow.
I think I got it from DMax store

Back