• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need help with hard miss with cylinder balance fault codes

Lol I just got the rockers on both heads reinstalled with new bolts instead of the plastic buttons, all torqued down, covers back on and injector lines back on. Was about to verify the IP to injector firing order then get the lower intake installed so I can do a test fire

Thanks. Order verified :)

Upper intake on and ready to be torqued. A few more connections and she’ll be ready for a test fire. I’ll crank it first with the file off then add fuel. I have the lines at each injector loos to bleed out too

image.jpg

I assume the lower intake torque specs on all bolts is 31 ftlbs. what are the center bolts? I am assuming that is the two middle one on the upper intake and not the 4 longer bolts in the middle for the lower intake.

this is from what TSP posted on another thread.

Intake Manifold:
• Lower Bolts & Studs--31 (42)
• Center Bolts--17 (23)
• Upper Intake--17 (23)

All are 31 ft lbs. circle pattern working outwards from the middle. Another page for your referencing joy. Someone once commented that 'all he does is post pictures from the manuals' but, I believe in the 'picture is worth the thousand words' wisdom.

Attachments

• Diagram Lower Intake installation.pdf
    587.9 KB · Views: 3
Sorry it took so long to post. Stopped to take a sammich break, hadn’t eaten all day. And a friend stopped by to charge his ac after he replaced everything under the hood!

Well Hallelujah she’s alive!!!! Got everything all connected other than the PMD. Bumped the starter a few times the cranked a couple seconds. All seemed fine so I connected the PMD and cranked …. Took a couple cranking sessions to get fuel flowing out all the injector lines. Tightened them all up and tried to start her for the first time. She ran and ran smooth! There’s a video of the second startup

Sorry it took so long to post. Stopped to take a sammich break, hadn’t eaten all day. And a friend stopped by to charge his ac after he replaced everything under the hood!

Well Hallelujah she’s alive!!!! Got everything all connected other than the PMD. Bumped the starter a few times the cranked a couple seconds. All seemed fine so I connected the PMD and cranked …. Took a couple cranking sessions to get fuel flowing out all the injector lines. Tightened them all up and tried to start her for the first time. She ran and ran smooth! There’s a video of the second startup

Well that was one of the quickest diagnoses and fixes we've seen in a long time. Hope the valve covers don't leak.

First off, I can't thank yall enough for helping point me in the right direction. I'm glad that loose bolt didn't cause catastrophic damage too. the blow by seems to be less now at least looks to be back to what I was used to seeing.

Well that was one of the quickest diagnoses and fixes we've seen in a long time. Hope the valve covers don't leak.
they probably will leak. I reused the same gaskets since the covers seem to pop right off. just a light tap with a rubber mallet and they both came right off. the bolts were also just hand tight. I'm sure I over tightened them reinstalling, but I wasn't gonna install new gaskets not knowing if she was gonna run again or get parked. the gaskets looked good and were also still pliable. time will tell, but being want @MrMarty51 just went through on his oil leak, I'm more than sure I will be seeing a leak!

I still need to run the truck a bit and make sure everything else is ok but as long as the leak isn't terrible, I guess I can deal with it for a little while and hopefully make a plan of attack later as the weather cools down, spend some money and maybe get new covers and gaskets along with a new intake gasket. I still have the heat shield to install behind the turbo and the upper intake before I can drive.

I know my approach not replacing gaskets and what not wasn't the best but at the same time I'm happy the truck is running.

Glad it all worked out. As for reusing the gaskets, do what you gotta do to get things where you need to be. If you didn't have to struggle to get the valve covers off, then you may have a little success in store. Think positive.
Change the oil now. Just in case you got diesel fuel in there.

That's the plan. it's due for an oil change anyway. I had considered changing it before our trip to the coast since it was about 100 miles away from hitting 3k since the last change. now it needs it for sure. besides not knowing what caused that bolt to back out though the threads seemed fine and all the others were also not torqued (got another 1/4 turn when I checked them). if I have to go back in later for the same issue, I'd have to redo gaskets again along with what Will said about a thread repair insert.

I am curious how long it's been loose enough and the PCM constantly adapting for it trying to balance the injectors till it couldn't anymore and coded. I wonder if my fuel mileage will improve or have better power and responsiveness on the road now.

Back