• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need help with fuel filter

orrum

Reaction score
Hello again, sure hope yall r not gonna black ball me for talking too much. What I am doing is converting my truck to a single tank wvo blend. I need two fuel filters in addition to the factory square one. I am getting a Walbro LP and adapter fittings from Leroy, Burning Oil, when they come in, I am mounting it in place of the stock LP and I need a prefilter so thats one I need. The next one I want to install in the engine compartment sorta over the exhaust area to get a little heat, I want this one to be 5-6 microns and the prefilter 30 or so microns. One of these has to be a water separator, it does not have to be with a drain but preferred. I can get 1-14 thread filter mounts really cheap from a friend but am willing to use others. I can get a 11/16-16 mount from Walmart very cheap with a 14 micron filter water separator very reasonable but its small. Can I put a 3/4-16 filter on the Walmart mount? I want a good sized one to take longer to stop up. The wix filters I have stumbled on r very expensive for the water separator type, like $23 and the wvo will clean all the crap out of my tank, lines etc and stop up a bunch of filters at first plus I like to change the fuel filters at each oil change @ 3000 miles to avoid polymerization of the oil caused by the wvo. So I would like very reasonable priced ones. I can get a 6 micron non water separator Wix for $8. I will use any combination it doesnt matter where the water separator one is installed. I cant use a water block filter tho because wvo reacts with the water block and stops it up even when there is no water in the fuel, dont understand the way it happens but take my word after running my Mercedes for 10000 miles on wvo I know how fast a water block plugs up.

Another option is Deere ( Justin) has a 6.5 stock filter for sale, I could use it and possible rig up the water sensor and fuel heater to work, that would be great but I have questions about that. One is what micron rating filter can I get to put in it? Do any of u electrical genius think u can talk me thru how to wire it up to work with the sensor and heater, the heater would be really nice? Dont need a lot of heat with my blend but any heat is good heat. Most important question is the Feed The Beast mod says the 6.5 fuel manager has to be drilled out to get good fuel flow, so what to do about that? Dont think I am qualified to do that. Thanks.

Do you have any wrecking yards by you? If you can find a 82 to Early 84 K5, suburban or truck with a 6.2 snatch the spin on mount fuel filter setup off the firewall. The filters are I believe 20 micron nominal as it a prefilter and has a water seperator, drain, and air bleed valve on top. I got mine from a local yard a couple years ago for 5 bucks. Filters are about on par with others, think I pay around 20 bucks for Wix, Dont know if your gonna be able to find a Water seperator filter much cheaper than that. You may get a break if you buy in bulk. The same year model trucks also have a smaller I believe 5 micron filter mounted to the back of the intake manifold. I have the smaller filter base but havent gotten around to plumbing it in yet. For a heat source I would T off your heater core lines using a smaller diameter line. There is resistance in your heater core so it forces coolant to flow through the bypass. Some soft copper tubing and fittings you could wrap your filter with lines to a point where you can still unscrew it. Might help from keeping the filter from Gelling over at colder temps even while running a blend.

The stock 6.5 ffm is a plug and play for you. The electrical connectors are the same to. The only thing that might be different is the way it mounts. I think yours bolts in from the rear? a 6.5 bolts from the top.
If interested I have the proper intake with the mounting bosses for the 6.5 ffm (look close at picture. in upper left/driver side runner you can see the proper boss) other than that it is exactly the same as you 6.2 manifold. It has been powdercoated and looks like new. I will sell it for what it cost me to pwdercoat it witch was $45.
1046.jpg
I also have a spare 6.5 ffm and could do my version of FTB to it then mail it all out to you. You should see what vegtech is charging for his set up that might be the way to go?
And Of course I have my Wix mounts and filters also. For both $65. Filter is 30 micron.

Leroy I am confused about why I need to change my intake? I am not a godd mechanic and thats a lot of changing?? Cant I mount the 6.5 ffm on the fender? If I get ur ffm can I hook up the fuel heater and water sensor in it? My truck is doing REALLY GREAT! Been pulling the horse trailer and livestock trailer a lot and I got plenty of power with no temps over 200 as long as I dont push it but once up to 55-60 on the interstate she can roll right along! Pulling 10000 lbs of cattle and trailer she runs great at 55-60 and 185 degrees! If the ffm will work for me I could get it shipped with the Walbro and fittings? Isnt it a 5 micron filter? My ffm must give me plenty of fuel cause I cant use all it supplies but on a long uphill climb it drops to 2 lb of fuel pressure. This truck is supposed to be a $1300 wvo experiment, I figured with 294000 miles it would be a ragged out piece of junk. Now tho with the great way it runs and drives I am starting to question my wvo experiment with it, this is a NICE truck!!! GM did good!

Who is Vegtech? Cant find him on vendor list? Think someone else mentioned him to me but dont know were. Thanks Leroy u a great help.

Leroy I am confused about why I need to change my intake? I am not a godd mechanic and thats a lot of changing?? Cant I mount the 6.5 ffm on the fender? If I get ur ffm can I hook up the fuel heater and water sensor in it? My truck is doing REALLY GREAT! Been pulling the horse trailer and livestock trailer a lot and I got plenty of power with no temps over 200 as long as I dont push it but once up to 55-60 on the interstate she can roll right along! Pulling 10000 lbs of cattle and trailer she runs great at 55-60 and 185 degrees! If the ffm will work for me I could get it shipped with the Walbro and fittings? Isnt it a 5 micron filter? My ffm must give me plenty of fuel cause I cant use all it supplies but on a long uphill climb it drops to 2 lb of fuel pressure. This truck is supposed to be a $1300 wvo experiment, I figured with 294000 miles it would be a ragged out piece of junk. Now tho with the great way it runs and drives I am starting to question my wvo experiment with it, this is a NICE truck!!! GM did good!

Only if you want the FFM to bolt the proper way. If you remote mount it you will have to extend the harnesses to it (not a big deal)
My FFM should have the correct connectors to just plug and play atleast the most recent 6.2 in the junk yard did. I would bet yours is the same.
Not sure of the micron rating, but seem to remember 5 microns also.
Your truck would be a good canidate for a 195 Tstat.

Who is Vegtech? Cant find him on vendor list? Think someone else mentioned him to me but dont know were. Thanks Leroy u a great help.

Walking J. Another supporting vendor. Look all the way down on the forums index page for supporting vendors forums.

I hate to keep bugging u but I dont understand the 195 thermastate deal. I know it helps fuel mileage but does it help operating temps when towing? I sorta like it running at 185 when I tow. I get fabtastic mileage, got 16 mpg yesterdya pulling a bunch of weight.

Clarification, I cant burn all the fuel I have available towing since it heats up to 210 id I really push it. So unless I get a turbo my ffm must be letting me get enough isnt it???? I am getting confused, all I saw on Vegtech was FTB stuff. Apparently the 6.2 ffm has a larger fuel opening maybe in the ffm ????

I may have a contact for new heater elements. If/when I get time I'll check into it.

WOW PMDCABLE has awesome resources! What keeps that thing into the FFM, is it threaded? U should sell these on the WVO forums, they are selling homemade junk heaters made out of glowplugs and galvanized pipe fittings and they burn and carbon up the wvo! Thats a cool piece of equipment Leroy and the price is good compared to the wvo sites!

WOW PMDCABLE has awesome resources! What keeps that thing into the FFM, is it threaded? U should sell these on the WVO forums, they are selling homemade junk heaters made out of glowplugs and galvanized pipe fittings and they burn and carbon up the wvo! Thats a cool piece of equipment Leroy and the price is good compared to the wvo sites!

There is a big plasic nut that holds it in, simular to the way the filter is held in.

Here is one of the FFM's. you can see the plastic nut that holds heater.

IMG_2491%5B1%5D[1].jpg

This could be a very good option for a final filter and a LP pre filter. Available in 5 and 30 miron $70 with the filter and heater. Its a very good value.
wix ffm.jpg

Back