• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

NEED HELP W/DODGE FLEXIBLE DIPSTICK FITMENT

FellowTraveler

Reaction score
I need a flexible dipstick & tube for my conversion and somewhat perplexed by what is available.

I tried a 727 transmission tube & dipstick LOKAR part # TD-3727FM36 which is a 36” long tube however the dipstick is too short and does not exit the tube or protrude into the pan when fully seated.

I returned the part as defective because it will not be able to read the fluid level in the pan, after much dialog with the seller they suggested I contact LOKAR TECH which I did and was told the dipstick does not protrude out of the tube on a 727 application.

Well, I’m more even confused than ever while looking at the 727 transmission case and a 47RH case and I can’t see any difference where the dipstick tubes enter the case (s) or how deep they sit in each case.

Using LOKAR TECH explanation the transmission dipstick does not protrude from the tube on a 727 application means to me that I would have to overfill the transmission fluid in order to register anything on the dipstick or, “am I missing something?”

Many times where the dipstick is constantly has fluid at it. You want to the fluid level when hot to be about an inch below the rotating internals, so wherever that falls in relation to the tube is the full point. Iirc the 47rh tube sets deep into the trans pan almost touching the bottom, but its been awhile since I've looked at one.

Here are images of what LOKAR TECH claims is normal, notice the dipstick does not protrude out of the tube into pan even when unrolled so fluid level will not register on dipstick.

I did find the Dodge 727 tube is commonly used w/A618/47RH/RE for CHEVY/GMC conversions and not one complaint about short dipsticks like above.

Attachments

• DSCI0015.JPG
    DSCI0015.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCI0014.JPG
    DSCI0014.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCI0010.JPG
    DSCI0010.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 4
I'm in final leg of my build w/small items left before startup and shakedown runs.

I assembled a 1st gen Cummins intercooled styled fan hub assembly using 1st, 2nd & 3rd gen Cummins parts for my GMC/CUMMINS CONVERSION.

I wanted to have more clearance between the fan/clutch and the radiator on my GMC Cummins conversion so I assembled a fan hub assembly similar to the 91.5 to 93 Ram Cummins I/C fan hub & pulley by using a 1st gen 91.5/93 hub pulley then a modified 3rd gen hub bracket w/back washer and a 2nd gen hub shaft & bolt.

The hub bracket was modified to 2nd gen clearance around the 2nd gen timing case cover then the two timing case cover bolts that are under the bracket when installed were modified to clear the 3rd gen retaining washer then I used the 2nd gen 6 bolt fan hub shaft, new hub bearing & bolt were used topped off by a 1st gen 91.5/93 fan pulley.

This combination places the fan hub/clutch/fan assembly centered exactly where the 2nd gen fan assembly was but closer to the engine, unlike the domed pulley which had the fan sitting 7/8" closer to radiator. New/used parts cost me $187 as opposed to the common $350 asking price for the obsolete 91.5/93 fan hub setup.

Attachments

• DSCI0006.JPG
    DSCI0006.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCI0009.JPG
    DSCI0009.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCI0010.JPG
    DSCI0010.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCI0011.JPG
    DSCI0011.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCI0012.JPG
    DSCI0012.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 6
Well I had bought a SS teflon braided 26" dipstick tube w/dipstick for $30 on the bay and I already had plenty of 8AN SS teflon hose so I also bought a 48" flexable dipstick from Lokar for $11 and made my own 46.5" dipstick tube for a whopping $41.

Back