• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need help from a 1997 owner.

dieselburban

Reaction score
NOTE: This is a 1994 block with 1997 heads in a 1997 truck. My Alternator is on the passenger side.

I am re-assembling my engine and when I fit the alternator bracket the pulley wheels are misaligned. I have attached some pictures to show the gap between the bracket and cylinder head when the bracket is just placed on the water pump bolt/studs and also pictures with the bracket tightened onto the water pump bolt/studs (When I tighten the alternator bracket onto the water pump bolt/studs there is a gap of 0.300” and 0.500”.)

I have searched through the garage but cannot find anything that looks like it fits there. The dealer pulled up a picture showing an engine lifting bracket but I do not remember seeing this part and it is no longer manufactured.

The picture doesn’t fully show the extent of the misalignment but I am sure that the belt would go sliding off within a few revolutions.

Could someone with a 1997 truck please have a look at their engine and let me know what I am missing before I go crazy.

Many thanks

Attachments

• water pump bolts.jpg
    water pump bolts.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 13
  • mounted on water pump bolts.jpg
    mounted on water pump bolts.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 10
  • without bolts tightened.jpg
    without bolts tightened.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 10
  • with bolts tightened 0.500 gap.jpg
    with bolts tightened 0.500 gap.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 8
  • misalignment.jpg
    misalignment.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 12
Not sure where it is you are looking for to be honest from looking in the engine all together, here are some snaps around the alt, let me know where you want me to focus in on, i'll be watching this thread tonight for you.

Attachments

• 100_0733.jpg
    100_0733.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_0732.jpg
    100_0732.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 100_0731.jpg
    100_0731.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 6
  • 100_0730.jpg
    100_0730.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_0729.jpg
    100_0729.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 14
I have added some arrows to one of your pictures that hopefully will clarify where I am looking.
Basically it is the large bracket that holds the alternator and pulley tensioner. is there something between the bracket and cylinder head?

There are (2) holes at the top of the cylinder head where the bracket connects but when I tighten down against those the path of the serpentine belt is way off.

How many bolts are holding the alternator on?

If you could just strip yours down and send me all the parts I think I will be just fine:smile5:

Attachments

• Clarification.jpg
    Clarification.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 19
I have added some arrows to one of your pictures that hopefully will clarify where I am looking.
Basically it is the large bracket that holds the alternator and pulley tensioner. is there something between the bracket and cylinder head?

There are (2) holes at the top of the cylinder head where the bracket connects but when I tighten down against those the path of the serpentine belt is way off.

How many bolts are holding the alternator on?

If you could just strip yours down and send me all the parts I think I will be just fine:smile5:

There are only 2 bolts holding the alt on, there is a spacer on the bolts, see photo. It appears my bracket is dead tight against the head. can't get camera in for a pic.

Attachments

• 100_0734.jpg
    100_0734.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_0736.jpg
    100_0736.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 10
I removed the vac pump and the condition still exists.

It appears that there is a portion of the casting that is stopping the alternator bracket from seating against the head (see pictures)

I also tried to fit the steering pump on the other side and that does not want to fall into place.

I have asked this question in another thread if the 94 engine will work with my 97 components. I have received answers stating that the castings are identical. Based on what I am experiencing I am struggling to believe this.
All of these parts came off the 97 engine but will not fit onto this 94/97 combo.

Attachments

• DSC09968.jpg
    DSC09968.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 10
  • hitting casting.jpg
    hitting casting.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 13
I am concerned that I may not have been detailed enough when originally stating the problem and this is preventing you smart guys from resolving this issue for me.

I pulled my 1997 engine and stripped all of the exterior components and kept them in my garage. The engine rebuilder obtained a 1994 block and rebuilt that. They then took my heads from the 1997 and slapped them on the rebuilt 1994 block and gave the whole thing back to me.

So, the alternator bracket used to fit over this same water pump when it was all connected to the 97 block. This makes me think that the 94 block is physically different and this is causing my problem.

My alternator braket looks totally different than that. One bolt attaches to the water pump area, the next one to left of Waterpump and it cones in a few inches to the block. Cone's in kindof, and there is probably one more attachment underneath, but i can't see it. I see nothing that would interfere it from going on easily.

Ya you know I read this last night and didnt think about it till now. My 96 had a different Alternator than my 94 did. Then again I put a 97 motor in the 94 truck not that long ago...

I'm not 100% sure but I think its mounted on the opposite sied of the motor? I think the 94 is on the drivers side and the 96+ is on the passenger side.

Last edited:
Ok I did some looking. I wonder if a 1994 bracket and alternator would be helpful to you? Change everything the way the 94 should be.

Pic of my (sold) 96 Alt. passenger side
HPIM1102.jpg

Pic of 94 Alt. drivers side side
HPIM1274.jpg

HPIM1275.jpg

Not sure if this will help you or not but heres a pic the 94 motor I have with the bracket still. If this will help you but let me know. If you need it we can work something out!
HPIM1276.jpg

HPIM1277.jpg

With the help of my little angle grinder and the input from you guys the bracket is now installed and looks like it is inline with the other pulleys.

I have attached some pictures to show how much I removed.

Perhaps one day I will find some missing part in the garage that will answer this riddle but until then I am happy to know that it is fitted.

Thanks for everyone’s time - I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• DSC09970.jpg
    DSC09970.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC09972.jpg
    DSC09972.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 8
Back