• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need batteries....

Deere Freek

Recruit
Reaction score
My batteries in my truck are the origional AC delco's that came with it off the dealers lot. However they seem to be going bad, slower cranking, and today i got out of work and had to get a jump..... So what's the best battery for a 6.5? Interstate? Napa? AC Delco again??

Thanks in advance
Joel

I like Diehard. I put two 900 cca suv silvers in a couple years ago, love them. I had ACDelcos for years, but after I replaced one I started having a bunch of problems. In my experience I've tried to save money with cheap batteries, had problems and eventually got fed up and ended up going out and getting the biggest Diehard that would fit. I used Diehard Golds for years with great success, I forget why I got Silvers last time, but there must have been a reason.
Just my opinion, I know everyone else likes Interstates, and their fine. A lot of people like Optimas but I don't trust them, I've heard of too manmy problems. I was told by a tech that because of their dry cell design they take a little longer to kill, but they won't come back from it as well or as many times if you kill it by leaving lights on or something.

I would imagine given a heavy wallet, that the Optimas, would be a great choice. Mine came with some no-name brand in them, they appear to be 2 maybe 3 years old, and are going good. Not that that helps anyway! :mad2:

Interstates are good, Ive also had good luck with Wally World batterys

Walmart and autozone batteries are now supplied by Johnson Controls, as are those red-top and yellow-top gel batteries - really good batteries, all, replace 'em in pairs, word up...............

Have started fine 0F & up that is about as cold as it gets round these parts

I have the AZ Duralast Gold as well. Mine have been fine down to about -30*F plugged in. They didn't fail me at the airport either when the truck sat for about a week in below zero temps. All of this was when I lived in MN. Right now they are 4 years old and still holding strong.

Walmart and autozone batteries are now supplied by Johnson Controls, as are those red-top and yellow-top gel batteries - really good batteries, all, replace 'em in pairs, word up...............

Just browsing around and saw this... am I allowed to post in here??? ):h

I've got a pair of Wally World Everstart batts in my 06, used them in my 01 gasser and in my 97 dually previously. Reasonably priced ($130 for the pair), very reliable and did not replace one after installing them. 84 mo warranty with 36 mo free replacement IIRC.

I have the wally world everstart batteries as well 770 cca 900 ca. the largest they had in stock at the time. They have held up well for the last year and a half. We had a pretty cold winter last year here as well. If they go bad they can be replaced any where in the country.

What is that about once every 20 years? Don't hit 0 but once or twice a year up here in VA.
Been in Ms since 86 and I think that is about the periodicity, does get -0 with wind chill from time to time, usually a "cold spell" in Jan where it gets to single digits, and my camp in Al is 100miles in from the coast so it gets a little colder there.

I have had good luck with AZ Duralast Gold also.

I have compared Wally World's battery, their spec is a little bit lower than Duralast Gold, price about $10 difference.

I know both are made by Johnson Control, so does Die Hard.

What about the AC delco batteries? Are they really sealed, or will they too rot out the battery box? I am on the fence too about the optimas, IDK if they will last in farm country! :D (although the neighbor swears by them in his trucks and tractors.) The local detroit diesel shop sells AC delco, so they might be alright,(hopefully the deroit shop sells them cause of reliability!) i am wanting to buy the biggest batteries that can fit in the box.

Is one better than another depending on application? for example is AC delco better in a gasser than a diesel?

Will the long life AC delcos last the longest?

Consumer Reports had some good things to say about the AutoZone Duralast batteries when they put them through their tests. I'm getting ready to replace mine with a pair of Diehards.
WARNING- IMO stay away from the NAPA brand batteries. They were put in as a pair, one went bad and was replaced. Now the other is going out. The things are junk IMO.

My opinon is go with the yellow top optimas and you wont be sorry. They are completly sealed and won't rot the tray. They are vibration resistant. I'm in the Navy and thats all we use. If sailors cant kill them not sure anyone could. We use all three types, red yellow and bue. In fact I can think of one right now sitting on a pier attached to a generator that I could walk up to right now and crank it over, and that's without having a charger hooked to it to maintain it. I swear by the two yellow tops in my truck. I left the door open overnight on my truck with the dome light on and had no problem starting the truck the next morning. My battery cables look the same as the day I made them to fit the truck when I installed the batteries. I also reccomend replcing the cables when you replace the batteries as the old ones are at least as old as the batteries and have carried all the current they have provided. I make my cables out of welding cable at least 4ought or larger and I solder the lugs on and then apply heat shrink tubing with glue to seal them. I also include a small ground wire in the neg cables to attach to the fenders and the neg cables attach directly to the engine block.

I have had good luck with AZ Duralast Gold also.

I have compared Wally World's battery, their spec is a little bit lower than Duralast Gold, price about $10 difference.

I know both are made by Johnson Control, so does Die Hard.

Well it got so bad it wouldn't start warm and the only place open at 8:30pm was Autozone so i got the Gold Duralast batteries. Hope they last 8 years like the AC Delco's.

Back