• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need Air Filter - Any Suggestions

Silverado6.5td

Diesel Powered Chevy
Reaction score
I had my computer reflashed a while back and also had the Mass Air Flow Sensor disarmed so I could put an after market air filter system in it.

Now that my stock one is showing a need to replace it soon and I need to drive my truck because my car needs fixin, I want to get the air filter.

Does anyone have suggestions as to which one I should get or what they have had good results with?

I know that they have a metal shield with them and they will be pulling hot air from the engine compartment, so is it necessary to build a underhood box to prevent that.

Thanks for all suggestions and input

With yours being a 98 it should have the cone filter. Just remove the Mass Air unit and keep the filter housing. I think they work as good as any and don't draw hot engine air. Leo

It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace your filter with one of the permanent/oiled filters. In the long run it will save you money. But, don't do it for performance - you're not going to see it - the stock one is quite good and the stock housing is fine, too. I've experimented with quite a few combinations and never found any real gains one way or the other. I had originally hoped to see a marked improvement (with my open set-up), but in the end it wasn't any better. Well, maybe a tiny, tiny bit. But the results from my hill-pulling tests were so close that they are essentially insignificant.

If you want to hear the turbo more, get rid of the box and that plastic "silencer" tube.

I currently run a reusable/oiled filter and it is entirely open (no box or shield - I made it myself). But, you can simply put a reusable filter in the box, too. Stick with a name brand and you'll be fine. Buy the largest one that will fit - see if you can find some type of "square inches of filter material" number to compare one filter with another. Don't over oil it.

IIRC over on the old forum they had done a test, like was done for the fuel additives, on air filters. The OEM round filter out performed the aftermarkets.

I bought the foam style Amsoil back in 2000 when I was a regular at Page, used to be (tbogemirep there/ initials plus who I worked for then) based on result there that yes OEM was better dirt catcher, but flowed less than Amsoil, and Amsoil was better than K&N that came with the Banks Stinger kit. Only time I ever got bad oil sample (high silica) was because the foam rubber seal had started crumbling like old foam rubber will do, wasn't sealing.

I have the new Amsoil/Donelson on it now, so far so good with that one, been on about a year now.

I use the K&N filter in a stock box. I've had no problems whatsoever, but have gotten alot of flack by other's for using it. I have no reason to change back to a stock filter. The K&N saves me mucho denaro. :thumbsup:

I use the K&N filter in a stock box. I've had no problems whatsoever, but have gotten alot of flack by other's for using it. I have no reason to change back to a stock filter. The K&N saves me mucho denaro. :thumbsup:

I got the grief back when running mine as well, Amsoil had better reports so I went Amsoil, not that K&N was bad I just wanted best & at time (2000) Amsoil had best of show in Page's testing, plus was one Kennedy was selling at the time & went by his recommendation.

Spicer from DP who ran the bench test on the air filters was, the last I heard, using an Amsoil Nanofiber filter based on some testing that he had witnessed.

Amsoil EAA air filters are dry, not oiled. Older generation filters were oiled as Turbine Doc discussed.

Here's a link: Click

I am running the Amsoil EAA in the stock housing as in the above mentioned tests performed excellently and avoids the whole oiled filter debate, I personally do not like the oiled units anyway. Still on there and no complaints 2 years later.

cheers
Nobby

The factory filters generally have best filtration and maybe they even have enough flow capacity too. Its not like the turbo isnt going to suck the air through it.

But I have added a cone to mine, I had the rectange factory and I notice the turbo a lot more, and did get noticeable more power. the factory cone filters are better than mine was though. My factory box would get dirty pretty fast pulling from the fender, so I didnt mind putting mine under the hood. Might try relocating my battery to put the air intake at the front of the bay.

Heath supposedly has a "cold air" kit coming out but might not be better either.

I saw some cool things advertised in diesel power for the newer diesels that I'd love to try modifying for mine, they have long air scoops to go down to the air dam I guess, at the bumper level. Too bad they cost like $400. could try building my own I suppose.

Did you get a custom program reflash or just one from other than 97 and 98?

I looked on that site at Amsoil filters, but for some reason it shows 2 air filters for my truck, the EAA111 and EAA112. They both seem to be the same filter from what I see. Is there a difference? Which one did you get?

Yes there is a difference in size, one is a little bigger than the other, I think the 111 is bigger. Turbine Doc and I just went through this a little while ago, he ended up with both because the first one he got wouldn't quite fit the box. Maybe he'll weigh in on this.

Amsoil catalog lists that the bigger filter will fit later model trucks, it didn't; well it fit the box but lid would not close, my suspicion is that it may fit the medium duty 4500's, I ordered both filts, I'm working on cold air induction system (back burner project) that I'll use the larger filter on, and put smaller one I'm running now on the burb. But I'm very satisfied with it, the DP indicator that used to pop with hard acceleration occasionally no longer pops up, even before adding the ATT.

Back