• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need a part... Fuel return hard line.

Nessmuk

Reaction score
I'm trying to eliminate possible causes of my hard hot starts. Since it was popping return lines, maybe my soft lines and hose T's are constructions. I also need to know if there is an acceptable return line pressure?

return pressure is around 1 or 2. have you removed and blown through the hard line?

Not yet.
I'll try it tomorrow. Talking with Canastoga Diesel, it seems they build their pumps for a pop pressure of 1700-1800, I bought the high pop injectors. Add to that the high under hood temps I'm getting (stuff is to hot to touch), the pump may be expanding. I'm adding some hood vents. I had bought boat cowl vents for this, went trailer digging and found them. 2 large ones for cheap, good looking hood scoops. 6 little ones for the back corners to try to keep any oil off the windshield. 2 smallish one for the fender corners.
Truck is off on a lift getting an oil pump in the hopes of better oil pressure. Since I hate laying on my back, under a drippy azz truck, fighting to not mess up the rtv, not to get dirt and grit in things, crap in my eyes, and a night of neck pain, I decided to pay.
I'm old at a young age.

I found a couple 3/16 in, 1/4 out, nylon hose fittings I'm going to try. Hopefully they will flow well. They are coming in the mail, and if they work, I could buy a bag of 25 and sell them to anyone needing one to rig return lines.
I'm thinking the 2 front most return lines into one of those, and that 1/4" hose to a 1/4" in, 5/16" out T to splice the pump return into and back from there to the tank.

No reason to focus on getting heat out for IP. Your engine should be able to overheat and blow the heads and IP still work perfectly.

They build pumps only for non turbo pressures? What? Something isn't right there. The factory pumps put out well over 5,000 psi. Stock injectors on turbo engine is like 2100 psi iirc. Non turbo is 1600-1800 depending on which engine. Factory inj ctors have a variable of 225psi, so new 1800s could potentially be 2025psi.

The lower designed pop pressure effects timing so they should adjust for that in serious high perf build, but that is for higher, not lower psi. I could see them swinging timing for it so you would be running more retarded. Cant imagine what else they would do...

Did they say they used new internal part's ?? as in head & rotor....

Hood vents isn't going to cool a wore out head & rotor in a rebuilt pump..

With as much talk of hard starts in your threads it points directly at the IP from what I have read...

I doubt a hard start would be from a lack of fuel being able to flow through the return lines, now if it was dying when it was running that would be possible...

Higher pop pressure always made for easier starts until it got close to 3,000 on both n/a and turbo. We set turbos to pop st 2350 and n/a to pop at 2100 iirc.

When i added my turbo to this engine I couldn't lite the turbo until putting in the injectors. I had already turned up the ip. Starting got easier instantly too.

If they set there pumps to do 90cc's at 1700-1800psi, then your mechanical pump from them will probably be putting out even less fuel than rated at the injectors. I'd assume you have stock pop injectors (around 2100psi) which means the fuel volume will be less than advertised. Maybe low 80cc's in reality. Which means the fuel volume to boost pressure is now even more realistic sounding. But as far as the other starting issue goes, sounds kind of head and rotary. For the prices charges for there pumps and the performance they claim, its kind of one of those "if its too good to be true, it probably is". It makes you question the quality of the rebuild

Spoke with them today. They have offered to take the pump back and test it after I get moved, and while they didn't agree to it yet, the idea of an exchange for an upgrade was discussed.

As in 16 hours one way-Where do you end up? There is a house down the road from me for sale.

Really sucks to not have it going the way you want for the move.

Well, over 1700 miles from my street. Had to look it up on google earth, nice lookin town. Hopefully the move goes good for you and hope they get square with you on the pump.

Back