• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need a new air ratchet

Acesneights1

Reaction score
Always used Ingersoll Rand. I have a 170g but the head is skipping. the rebuild kit is 56$ and the ratchet costs 64$ new so it's not worth fixing it but I was thinking of going to a btter IR model like the 109xpa. It's basically the same as Snap on at a 1/3 of the cost. Snap on air tools are outrageously priced and they don't make them. I know Mac is rebadged IR and I wouldn't be surprised it Snap on is too. I am not paying 412$ for an air ratchet so anybody use the 109xpa ? the 107 seems to be the common one.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AXBNT/?tag=jhuntlink-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004XOSY/?tag=jhuntlink-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Don't get the 109XP model, it's about worthless. The trigger is very small inside and breaks off easily as I have one with a broken trigger mechanism. And it doesn't have much torque due to the high speed. It is fast, but it comes at a cost as it can't break squat loose. Also due to it's high speed it will back into a tight spot where you can't reverse it in a hurry. The MAC closed head models is my prefferred air ratchet. they have good torque, and teh closed head design makes it so you can always switch directions. The 107 IR is a good one on a budget though. Also SEARS sells rebadged IR for even less money.

got a model # for the MAc ? I thought Macs were rebadged Irs as well ? I know the older ones are. I have one that I swapped parts with an IR.

I've got the IR 107 myself and the air valve cover broke off. The threads in the round thing on the body broke off and I'm trying to find a replacement. Or should I just get a new ratchet? I don't know if it's minor enough to repair..

Sorry for the hijack..

no not at all, and no it's not worth repairing. That's the problem, the parts cost more than the ratchet. a new 107g(same ratchet with rubber handle) is 66$ on Amazon.com.

Did you check Ebay? I've gotten some very good deals on tools the past few years. I'm not so partial to new or used.

My IR is way better than my Snap-on. I don't know which number it is but it's always had way more torque. Though it may be a little slower

I oil my tools before and after use. From my experience most air tools die from abuse before they get worn out. I know I abuse mine every time I use them.

Well, I bought another 107 from Tractor Supply. It comes with a 1 yr warranty so I'll swap the broken gears out of the other one and return it for a spare.

Well, I bought another 107 from Tractor Supply. It comes with a 1 yr warranty so I'll swap the broken gears out of the other one and return it for a spare.

gotta love box stores haha.

I have the snap-on FAR7200. Its got plenty of power. I would never pay $412 for it though. Got it off eBay a year old for $70, otherwise i probably never wouldve gotten it. Plus my local snap-on guy is great to deal with.

the 7200 and 72c are made by snap-on, the others Im not sure about. Their MG series impacts are made by them as well.

Back