• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

need a good to great hole saw

The idea behind the coolant is a rust inhibitor in water, and cheaper than water soluble cutting oil. For cutting the truckbed I would use a trickle of water out of a garden hose, like mentioned above. Nothing will get wet that does not get wet in the rain, other than the fresh edge of the middle you cutting. After the cut simply dry off the wet edge of the metal and paint. This way you don't have a bunch of antifreeze or oils spilled all in the bed down on top of the axle and whatever you have to clean up. The idea behind any cutting fluid is mainly to keep the cutting tool from getting hot.

I checked with one of my buddies who still a Mac guy and he said they did not offer that large of a holesaw, but the warranty still covers when drillbits get dull or break for the size they do have.

Sound like good choices. Once you have the arbor you can use other bits.

Have you checked any kit prices yet? Sometimes for a little bit more you can get the kit with more than you need.

stopped by fastenal today, they sell Lenox.

the 2L arbor says made in USA, the wood/ metal combo blade says made in USA of US and Global components. I imagine that is as good as I am going to get.

Fastenal is substantially more money than sears.com, so I think what i may do is order it via sears, and if it happens to NOT be US made like the Fastenal stuff, I will just go buy the fastenal stuff for more and return the sears stuff.

I will check around at a few hardware stores locally to see if I can get it half competitive, but I really doubt anyone carries a 4 inch. I was surprised fastenal had it.

the fastenal guy was willing to give me a sample bottle of some fancy cutting fluid/ lube, IDK how much to value that at though. :) might go buy the arbor and see if i can talk him out of the fluid anyhow. :) the arbor is ony a few $ more, but the blade is near double.

Own a Lennox bi-metal kit. Sizes from like 1/2 to 2 1/2 something like that. Has both arbors. In a blo-molded gold box. They are quality pieces. Pay attention to the SFPM (rpm) speeds and they'll live quite a while. Avoid rust, the crap will dull any blade.

I was just wondering about the used antifreeze. I was just a pup at the time and do not know the hows and why's. The saw lasted long after I was gone and was there long before me too.

I wonder if used anti-freeze was USED SO THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO worry about it freezing in the winter? Not sure who to ask on that one. The decision makers from the time are long gone

I've been using a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and my used antifreeze for drilling and cutting for more years than I care to remember. Best thing going as far as I'm concerned.

I've had good luck with Morse carbide tipped hole saws. They're made in the USA and are reasonably priced. I can't remember if I got them at Grainger or MSC. I bought two for drilling a 2.375" hole in Corian (1200+ holes) and finished the job with just one. No coolant, just compressed air to blow out the dust.

stopped by fastenal today, they sell Lenox.

the 2L arbor says made in USA, the wood/ metal combo blade says made in USA of US and Global components. I imagine that is as good as I am going to get.

Fastenal is substantially more money than sears.com, so I think what i may do is order it via sears, and if it happens to NOT be US made like the Fastenal stuff, I will just go buy the fastenal stuff for more and return the sears stuff.

I will check around at a few hardware stores locally to see if I can get it half competitive, but I really doubt anyone carries a 4 inch. I was surprised fastenal had it.

the fastenal guy was willing to give me a sample bottle of some fancy cutting fluid/ lube, IDK how much to value that at though. :) might go buy the arbor and see if i can talk him out of the fluid anyhow. :) the arbor is ony a few $ more, but the blade is near double.

I think Home Depot carries Milwaukee brand hole saws and they have 4 inch in stock. They are also an option for you.

remember folks, current location is middle of nowhere, Kansas. closest Home Depot is over 100 miles away, closest Lowes is denver, around 200 miles away. :)

I will see what I can find tomorrow.

a quick ebay search on just Lenox 2L arbors comes back with 1 made in USA with global components, and another that is made in USA, and I put a question in to the seller to ask further details. I am 90 percent sure that one at Fastenal was just plain made in USA (assuming assembly AND components), so maybe I need to buy it irregardless.

the reason I am looking at just the arbor is that I am in the lead for a pack of 3 4 inch blades on the ebay. :)

remember folks, current location is middle of nowhere, Kansas. closest Home Depot is over 100 miles away, closest Lowes is denver, around 200 miles away.

Not unlike the middle of nowhere Alberta.:hello:

Ooooops. Sorry. I just figured one of those stores would be a closer, better option.

no problem! I allways get a bang out of peoples reactions. 200 miles to Lowes?!?!? :)

If we have time, I will be going to home depot tomorrow though, we happen to be going through the one big town. A person has to love the open road out here.

our neighbor can put close to 100 miles round trip just checking all the irrigation wells he keeps track of (rented ground and his own). also, to get more done in a day, he doesnt drive fast on sanded dirt roads, he flies low and rides on a shockwave of sand. :O

well, I never checked on anything at home depot, as at 10:30 we left the auction. the auction we went to 130 miles south ran late (still going with about an hour left when we left), and for good reason. :) more on that later, but I have about 20-40 new in package old stock completely USA made vice grips. the guy had a hoarding problem/ issue with giving the gov't money, so for tax deductions, he would go blow money on tools. 8 high quality dewalt 4 1/2 inch angle grinders, 30 pairs of channellock pliers (just in certain sizes, there was one pallet dedicated to channellock pliers, over 100 total at least), all brand new in packaging. there was a 48ft semi trailer, a 32 ft tandem dually goosneck, and a 24 ft bumper pull trailer. the semi trailer was about 90 percent tools 80 percent was new, tandem dually about 40 percent. last one about 50 percent, but more used on it.

anyhow... :)

I had a bid on some bare Lenox blades on ebay, and won them, so I bought a 2L arbor from another guy. Guy confirmed it was completely made in USA.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201022751270?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271379123310?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

the blades were right up there, but the arbor was alot cheaper than new. and both lots are brand new, so I am pleased.

Congrats on the auction, your sig line seems to have shrunk:eek:

I try to be courteous to folks with narrow monitors. when I left my laptop at a buddy's place, I used the farm computer to get on TTS, and with its narrow monitor, my sig takes up alot of room!!! it was a holy $&!% moment. So if the sig doesnt help the discussion, i make sure to uncheck the "show signature" box. :)

Back