• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My quest for tires

Farmdog

the 'Traveling Can' started here
Reaction score
I'm still looking for the tire that last for more than 20k or 22k miles for my type of driving. I'm sure they exist and there are as many opinions as there are tires so I'm giving these a try. They do make some noise on pavement, but I'll just turn up the radio.

One question; the truck is drifting to the left now and it didn't before. Any chance swapping fronts from side to side may fix it or am I going to need an aliangment?

Attachments

• SSCN0312.JPG
    SSCN0312.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 57
  • SSCN0315.JPG
    SSCN0315.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 71
  • SSCN0317.JPG
    SSCN0317.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 36
I would swap your fronts and check your idler arm for wear. if the idler need replaced you will also need an alingment. If this is the case you may also upgrade to the cognito pitma/idler support kit

I would swap your fronts and check your idler arm for wear. if the idler need replaced you will also need an alingment. If this is the case you may also upgrade to the cognito pitma/idler support kit

I'm willing to admit my lack of knowledge of these parts of which you speak. I can identify a tie rod but thats about it. Could someone discribe them or post a pic? The truck is approaching 100k mile so I'm sure wear is at least a factor.

I just got my BFG AT/KO's put on yesterday (pics coming soon) and was told I will need to replace both the pitman/idler arms. This was from someone at NTB, so I will go to a real suspension guy to get a better opinion about it. Shawn, is the Cognito set up something to go along with the Cognito tie rods too? If it is the case that I need new pitman/idler arms, then I think I will go with the Cognito set up, and while down there, put on the tie rods.

Ya, I'd take your truck to get a alignment. They should also be able to check and tell you what is worn out in the front. Out of curiosity anything around 15K on those tires is great. For a "mud terrain" tire like that they will wear out in no time. The cooper is the best truck tire you can get IMO. The only way to get a better wear is to go to a All terrain tire.

Farmdog, Send me a PM if you want pics and Ill PM you a link...

The pitman arm is on the steering gear box and the idler is mounted to the frame on the other side. They both are attached to the tierod bar and are a common problem. Jack up the truck and wiggle the wheels side to side.

I have 67k on my 285 BFG ATs and I won't be needing new ones for another 5k or so (before winter). I rotate every other oil change and this is my 4th set of these on 4 different trucks. Needless to say... I'm pleased with them! In your case I'd rotate them in a cross pattern to see what difference it makes.

The piman support kit does not go with the tierod kit but I do suggest any GM truck having the pitman/idler support kit. It will help hod alignment and keep the steering sytem geometry when it need to be to help these parts not wear out.

No here the kicker. Pitman and idler arms are expensive. If they are not worn too badly you can install this kit and not need to replace the steering components.

Do you absolutely need mud grips?

No, I don't. The gravel I drive on seems to eat ever other tire I've tried. I'm hoping the wide gaps between the lugs will allow rocks to go in between rather than taking out chunks. I'd love to have a tire compound with the hardness of a semi tire.

I know that the guys driving alot of gravel don't care much for the BFG ATs. The lug corners get knocked down pretty bad. Then again, what the hell tire IS good on gravel?...

Have you tried the Cooper Discover S/T C? They are different from the regular S/Ts and are suppose to made so gravel doesn't tear them up.

My BFG AT/KO's collect gravel at every opportunity, like when I drive down my 800 ft gravel driveway. Other than that, I like them. Seem to wear very good, not too loud, and do well in limited off road excursions.

Ya, I'd take your truck to get a alignment. They should also be able to check and tell you what is worn out in the front. Out of curiosity anything around 15K on those tires is great. For a "mud terrain" tire like that they will wear out in no time. The cooper is the best truck tire you can get IMO. The only way to get a better wear is to go to a All terrain tire.

HA! I've got close to 20k on my MTZ's and they are above 50%. You just gotta know what MT to get.

Back