• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My quest for tires

Supposedly (i have no experience) the Goodyear Workhorse tires are resistant to gravel, as are firestone (i think transforce ATs) supposed different rubber compounds on both.

My truck was pulling to the left right after I had new tires and an alignment. When I had my water pump changed they called and told me one of my tie rods was bad. Apparently when they aligned my truck, they didn't say a word about the bad tie rod. WTF!! Anytime I have ever had an alignment, and there was a worn part that the alignment depended on, they always let me know. But this was the first time I ever had one at town fair tire.
Might want to check into that too.

I haven't ever done alot of driving in the gravel, but like others have mentioned, the BFG A/T's last forever. I ran a set on my wife's Blazer, at 65,000 I replaced them because they were begining to dry crack, but they still had enough tread for my buddy to get another 5-8000 miles out of them.

As far as M/T's go, I ran a set of 36" Parnelli Jones dirt grips when my truck had 1/2 ton axles and put 20,000 miles on them before I upgraded and they still had over 50% tread left.

I'm still looking for the tire that last for more than 20k or 22k miles for my type of driving. I'm sure they exist and there are as many opinions as there are tires so I'm giving these a try. They do make some noise on pavement, but I'll just turn up the radio.

One question; the truck is drifting to the left now and it didn't before. Any chance swapping fronts from side to side may fix it or am I going to need an aliangment?

What is the alignment history on the truck? As in did you crank the bars and have it aligned or have you had the pitman and idler checked to see there condition?

Well gosh those look familiar :D

Tire2.jpg

Gravel is hard on tires no matter what. I have found that the more aggressive tread pattern with little to no siping seem to hold up better. Trouble is those tires tend to be a pretty soft rubber. Getting 30k out of them is doing good.

I've probably got around 15k on mine. There's still a lot of life left in them, but I only run them in late fall through early spring.

Back