• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Nv4500 swap underway with a clutch problem

What happens when you shift to 1st or 2nd gear first before going to reverse? Just seeing if you have a clutch disengage problem or too thin trans lube which allows the countershaft to keep turning too long. Going to another gear with syncro 1st will stop the shaft.

well when its hot Low and 1st get tight and harder to shift into, reverse just grinds due to no syncro

That tells me you are correct in thinking your clutch is not fully disengaging. The last few hydraulic slave's I had to bleed took about 4 times more bleeding than I ever would have thought it needs so I'd bleed the living PI$$ out of it then and see where that gets you.

Currently its sitting in the shop because a had a hydro failure yesterday and bleeding this new system is taking all damn day. Its crazy I tried gravity bleeding for an hour, coming back and pumping it and its not getting me anywhere. Just replaced master and slave under warranty..now only if the pedal will pump up.

I have class tomorrow but i might not make it

Try pulling the pedal all the way up on every stroke,it don't take much for the master piston not to retract all the way if the pedal is leaning on the push rod and then the fluid can't enter the cylinder if the piston cup covers the inlet hole from the reservoir.

That was the exact problem, I had read something about bleeding problems a few hours ago and they said make sure the push rod is adjusted right and I had remembered I put it together to allow a "long" push so I knew it was the problem. I went back out adjusted the rod down and WA-LA fresh fluid at the slave. With some more bleeding and some time behind the wheel I'll see if the hot shifting issue stays or goes.
Thanks for all the advice.

Back