• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

MY NEW TO ME 95 4X4 SUBURBAN 6.5

lt1fire

Reaction score
About 2 months ago I sold my highly modified 92 land cruiser to help pay for some home repairs and bills. With part of the money I set aside I bought a 95 suburban that I found on expedition portal for 1k. I allotted a little bit more for repairs knowing somethings would need it.

332k when I bought it. New tires, Interior is great baring a broken radio and a few small stains here and there, WS leaks a tiny bit in the drivers lower corner but I’ll fix that. Has CB installed already and nice rubber mats for all feet.

The Previous owner before me had the vehicle for the last 12 years. He took it from 270k to 331k. The only things he replaced were fluids and filters. He doesn’t know what the original owner before him did. He said he used to have some service documentation when he first got the truck in 2003 but has since lost it. So I’m operating under the assumption that everything is original. The original owner was a traveling salesman who racked up the miles. It runs very well for its miles so I’m guessing/hoping the injectors aren’t original. But since I know they have at least 60k on them I’m going to just replace them with reman’s anyway. Even the FSD is in the original place.

So far I’ve replaced – a heater hose T (since it blew on me 2 days into owner ship driving on the beach), Alternator since it seized later the same day driving home and shredded the belt (wish I had already bought a CS144 bracket as I was forced to get the crappy 105 amp one), new belt, New AC Delco lift pump from a 93, AC delco fuel filter, oil filter and oil change using Mobil 1 TDT and Mobil 1 filter, LED reverse lights and I’m in the process of changing out the broken radio.

New parts I have waiting to go in-

98 AC Delco HO water pump

98 AC delco fan clutch

AC delco duramax plastic 21” fan

AC delco OPS

Leroys Lift pump relay mod

Mobil 1 diff oil.

Can of blue paint and clear for the hood and roof

FSD heat sink and relocation cable to be put in bumper

Soon I’ll be getting a new pulley/HB combo, going AC delco just because I can’t squeeze a fluidampr into the budget right now. New CDR.

I’ll also soon be ordering from Leroy –

Diamond Eye 4” exhaust

Diamond Eye cross over

Boost Bolt

OPS extension

And Reman’d injectors

That will pretty much wipe out my budget for the time being.

Got big plans for the truck in the long run as it is now my wife and my adventure vehicle. Down the line lift and tires will go on, sleeping platform in the rear, roof rack, bumpers, sliders, etc…... More upkeep will be done soon. Tracking down a k47 box. Hopefully next year an ATT or a few years from now a P400 who knows.

Don't have a ton of pics, just some from the weekend camping on the beach and one fixing my truck in the parking lot of BFE

11232944_10152991854817875_387589845887016880_n.jpg

11295599_10152991854962875_980897162837868694_n.jpg

10374519_10152992576062875_5692428806321170201_n.jpg

11137108_10152992659022875_3122609898310880886_n.jpg

10341712_10152992659272875_431436756733545040_n.jpg

11151020_10152993814177875_7950660429626655071_n.jpg

Nice rig at a good price. Welcome to the site.

I would mount the new fsd, but keep running the old one till it chokes. When it goes then just plug in. I know your budget is tapped, but usually the timing gears are fine just the chain stretches. When you do the water pump you are right there. $40-$45.

Got your first "like".

Any blowby coming from filler neck/dip stick? I just bought a 96 that does, but it runs great and not using oil. Going to run it til it blows or I get an itch.
Nice Burb, welcome. Good first post :finger: ( that was as close to a thumbs up smile as I could find)

Thats not much, more than some but about aveage for 200K + mile engines.
I did hear a noise by the turbo though?

yeah it may only do it when it is warm, i'm going to drive to the dump tomorrow to drop off my recycling and trash and shoot another video after I get back

Nice rig at a good price. Welcome to the site.

I would mount the new fsd, but keep running the old one till it chokes. When it goes then just plug in. I know your budget is tapped, but usually the timing gears are fine just the chain stretches. When you do the water pump you are right there. $40-$45.

It's been something i've been kicking around but messing around with the timing gear, especially on the IP (since i've never done that before kinda scares me. Is there a good how to thread somewhere with some pics I can look at. It does make sense to change it since i'll already have the WP and HB off.

Although i've read numerous threads on here and other sites saying to just leave it alone, they all get a lot of slop but are still within GM numbers and that the new chains are all Chinese made and would be better off leaving the OEM USA made chain in there??

Last edited:
Sure sounded like it. I would look for something loose also.
Maybe even check the turbo shaft play.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard!
You're in good company for advice and counsel. Great pics, cool trip.
You have a great list of done/to-do, obviously you did your homework. Does your Burb get better MPG than the Crusher did?
There are always things to do that only cost time (only!). Flushing the hydroboost/PS system, cleaning the cooling stack (oil, trans, condenser, rad), etc.
We're on our 3rd Burb, we love them. Tailgate is great but barn doors are better...:smuggrin:

Thank you!! Yeah I try to be not too much of a newb when I move to a new vehicle.... having an old 6.2 diesel burb a while back first introduced me to these vehicles a little bit.

Yeah my parts pile is growing and I'm going to get started on it tomorrow.

So far I've just installed my new lift pump and CDR valve.

Tomorrow I start the tear down to replace
Injectors (rebuilt badger diesel)
Glow Plugs (for now just the passenger side, will do the drivers when I recoup some funds) - these are bosch duraterm
Injector return line and install kit from Kennedy diesel
AC delco 1999 HO water pump
AC delco HD fan clutch from same year
AC delco Dmax fan
AC delco HB
AC delco Pulley
Car Quest CPS
felpro gasket set
Leroy Diesel lift pump wiring harness
AC Delco OPS (will do this in conjunction with extension from Leroy when I get one)
PMD relocation kit.
Cloyles Timing Chain kit (think I'm only going to replace the chain though unless I see problems with the old gears)
Crank Seal

then next month i'll order my exhaust and x over pipe from Leroy along with the extension and call it good for a while.

I'll be cleaning the cooling stack at the same time as all the mods above also.

Yeah, although I haven't really been able to gauge the MPG of the burb that well. With mostly city driving about 80% I got 16.2 MPG last time.

My cruiser would have got 9-10 but at the same time it looked like this (one on the left, plus a snorkel I added after picture)
DSCN1010.jpg

Sad to see her go but needed some extra $$$ and something that could tow if I do move later in the year.

Differences between the two are this.

Pro's for suburban
More room, can sleep in the back with all the camping trips I do (will build a platform sooner or later)
Better MPG (great for expo trips)
More Power
Cheaper parts
Better availability of parts

Pro's for Cruiser
better 4x4 (not even close really) - but I will be working on that in the next few years to at least get in the same zip code
Stronger fully boxed frame - I have a fear of cracking the sub frame if I'm too hard on it off road anyone make a fully box kit??
Better 4x4 and expo aftermarket support - for this reason I'm going to self teach to weld and build most of the stuff myself for the burb

really I'd love to just take the 6.5 and swap it into another cruiser but.... my wife wants to sleep inside the vehicle now and at 6'8 that creates a problem. Plus the burb at my height is more comfortable to drive long distances and I was a chevy guy way before I was a Toyota guy so I've got no problem converting the burb for my purposes.

:)

Yeah just chain usually gets it.mmif you end up with the whole kit them just save the gears for future projects.

On the frame idk of any kits. But the best frame beefing guys I this half of the country are the hydraulic hopper dudes. They can box and wrap a frame better than any of the regular shops. Think some frame twisting is hard on a frame, try smashing it to the ground from5' in the air 50-100 times a day. Cali is next door where tons of those guys come from, might be harder to find out in your area.

Also glad to see you back in Chevy land from the yota clutches.;) Na, they are nice off-roaders just have to poke the bear.

started tearing apart the front of the engine today... tomorrow this is going in

New HO water pump (60 more GPM than stock), harmonic balancer, crank pulley, crank seal, new gaskets for the front side of the engine, timing chain and gears, t-stat, HD fan clutch, Duramax fan upgrade, new Bosch injectors, new return lines and manifold gaskets, new Bosch duraterm glow plugs, new belt, new CDR, new OPS, new lift pump Upgraded lift pump harness.

11695936_10153119750412875_693608086776186448_n.jpg

Back