• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My LB7/LLY build

05lly2500hd

Recruit
Reaction score
Hope this is in the right spot!

Well, THE BUILD IS BEING FINISHED!!!! FINALLY, after over a year. The shortblock will be shipped to me hopefully wednesday and I will install it. I have a gm service manual thanks to Ben.

I have a new/used stocker turbo, all new gaskets and all new filters and fluids ready. I plan on driving 500 miles changing, another 1000 or 2000 changing and then going to 5k or 7500 intervals, using Rotella 15-40. I always used Mobil 1 5-40 before but may not now, just because of availability and cost, not sure if it is that much better anyway.
I'm gonna drain the fuel tank to the best of my ability and dump some Stanadyne inside and keep using it.

Oh yeah the build includes:
LB7 core
Howard's cams rods
SoCal cut AND coated pistons
stock cam
stock heads
ARP head studs
the latest version of Diesel Performance Research's oil pump
new water pump
stock balancer and flexplate
stock injectors
Pretty much a budget build, but let me tell you in no ways was it cheap!!!!

Magic was done by David Basham at BMS Machine, he even threw in some lift tabs and installed the front and rear covers/flexplate/balancer/flywheel

It's still gonna have the older twin setup for now, after this much money the updated set is gonna have to wait.

I have had personalized tags made as well that say
" 4 BRODY" If you don't know Brody is my brother that lost his life from a burn accident, I'm building this in his memory, he loved this truck.

People I'd like to thank for the help of this build:

Brody
Holly, Maddox and Miller (my family)
David and Bob at BMS
Eric Merchant
Bobo
McRat
Nathan Wright
Rob Coddens
Ben Tyler
Tommy Whatley
Michael Hackleman
Chris Huggins
Guy Tripp
Rick D Lance
Matt at Powermax
my patience
I'm sure there are more, so thanks to all!!!
Diesel Performance Research
John @ Howards cams

Future plans:
updated MPI twin setup
Dual CP3
and later...
SoCal cam and heads

Last edited:
very nice jeromy, brody would be proud. make sure you keep this one together:D
lol, thanks.

side note, I have posted a pic of bolts and some clips, have no idea where they go, do you guys??? I was not the one that tore engine down.

Attachments

• 025res.jpg
    025res.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 34
Just curious and I probably missed somehting, but you are gonna do that whole build and a bullet proof engine and use a stock turbo? What for might I ask?

okay the bolts next to the u joint straps to the left are the strap bolts. the big pile of 10 above the motor mnt nuts, could they be the motor mount bolts???

smokin lb7, he has twin turbo setup.

Just curious and I probably missed somehting, but you are gonna do that whole build and a bullet proof engine and use a stock turbo? What for might I ask?

Thanks stacks. And yes because i have a twin turbo setup using the stocker one. And because all my funds are gone from engine build, build was done because the original one went sour, so this wasn't a planned-on build.

Gotcha, either way, very very sick. That truck sounds like is gonna rape most things anyways. And it will be really nice to have the response of a stock turbo and a then have the rest taken care of a big ass charger. Good job man

Thanks guys. I will def. keep posting and with pics. I'm gonna put together a Redneck DIY, with pics and manual pics as well for the average "redneck" guy.

Attachments

• temp 048RES.JPG
    temp 048RES.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 25
  • temp 038RES.jpg
    temp 038RES.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 40
  • valveandholddownsRES.JPG
    valveandholddownsRES.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 27
ok, can anyone look at thier oil cooler and let me know if all 3 plugs are in a decent spot to install a sensor for a guage? I have the KD installed in the lower one, but I have never had it installed before, I need to install the sensor for the autometer oil psi guage as well and I'm afraid of installing them in a bad spot where they may hit the frame or torsion bar, I have nothing to really look at to tell. Thanks much. Each sensor is approx. 3 inches. I'm afraid the upper one may be too close to the exhaust manifold. Thanks!!

Oh yeah, anyone have an oil dipstick tube laying around? I have a new dipstick, just can't seem to find my tube, need it asap.

Back