• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My HX40 install

What fasteners did you settle on for turbine to exhaust manifold?
I used grade 8 but they start to fail @ 800 deg. f. in their ability to stay clamped.
Inconal is commonly used in turbines and is the best overall for fastening the turbine to exhaust manifold but very pricey too.

I'm just using 304 stainless hex head cap screws right now. They were still tight when I disassembled it to repair the header, but they don't have that many cycles on them. As I think about it though, I think this time was longer than when they came loose last time, so I must have just not gotten them tight enough before.

Stainless is probably a really good idea here. Did I mention the Nordlocks before? Scroll down and watch video.
http://www.nord-lock.com/bolted/watch-the-new-junker-test-video-here/
Yep I bought the nord-locks carbon steel but my marine and aviation guy says its a waste without any fastener used not to be inconal...its a heat cycle thing that causes them to loosen and even snap.

I suspect I'm not over thinking the need for real high temp fasteners even though they are not under constant 1k + EGT's...

@n8in8or They work amazingly well. The only reason these things aren't everywhere is the cost.

@FellowTraveler If your looking at inconel fastners- cost is not your concearn, and only 4 is not going to break the bank so if you feel more secure (pun intended) I say do it. But, idk about why stainless wouldnt work. We use stainless on pressure vessels inside of furnaces- like a pipe system that gets fire blown onto it to heat the pipe contents to 1,000 degrees, and the content in the pipe- fuel. Done a refineries world wide.

If you want the inonel :
image.png

The advantage inconel has over stainless is that it heats up and cools down slower and maintains hardness longer under heat. Afaik, the shear factor is the same. The bolts heating and cooling allows a stretch and shrink yes, but if you look at how much a 3/8 bolt can expand under heat, the sustained heat needed in that location would be amazing. Way into the everything around it damaged category before the 4 mounting bolts could heat up that high I would think.

I dont have a ton of experience with inconel fastner usage, my experience is in inconel components more. So if your buddy has the knowledge on inconel- definately follow the smarter guy!

Maybe if you could convine him to do a thread here teaching us, that would be great! I love to learn.

Will, I was under the impression inconel is a type of SS anyway. I attach a link to NORD LOCKS data relating to strength and temp limits on each type of material, admittedly I was confused at first and after conversation with my buddy he pointed out that exhaust manifold fasteners cab be of lower grade materials however for turbochargers, turbines etc inconel is the route to go 'as the links data shows.'

http://www.nord-lock.com/nord-lock/wedge-locking/washers/selection-guide/

I had thought grade 8 was the trick only to find three were starting to get loose and I thought about how n8in8or. The price is steep but as always I found mil surplus dirt cheap.....

I'm not knocking your knowledge of the topic, if it appeared so then I apologize....

Back