• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My HX40 install

In keeping with the theme, here is another crappy video (it's starting to become my specialty, ha!). This was a quick vid I took on the way back to work during my lunch today. I tried powerbraking for a second to build a little boost but then the tires spun (you can see this on the tach when the rpm goes up at first, then back down). So I'm not sure that I really had much boost going when I took off. I'll try to get some better videos up in the future.

Again, it isn't a rocket, but it's better than it was....especially at highway speeds. It's nice flooring it on the highway and it actually moves when the rpm goes up, rather than just making a bunch of noise, but not much happening. Once the new engine is built, and I get a tune for the HX40, then I'll turn the boost up and enjoy this thing a bit more. I am pretty pleased with the current state, knowing that it's only going to get better.

Wow Nate, that Tahoe will flat boogy! After seeing that video, I don't think I would want to be in the lane next to you! :D I'm thinking, I'd still need more fuel, and maybe some water/meth before I would want to face off against that beast! Very Nice.:)

Matt

In keeping with the theme, here is another crappy video (it's starting to become my specialty, ha!). This was a quick vid I took on the way back to work during my lunch today. I tried powerbraking for a second to build a little boost but then the tires spun (you can see this on the tach when the rpm goes up at first, then back down). So I'm not sure that I really had much boost going when I took off. I'll try to get some better videos up in the future.

Again, it isn't a rocket, but it's better than it was....especially at highway speeds. It's nice flooring it on the highway and it actually moves when the rpm goes up, rather than just making a bunch of noise, but not much happening. Once the new engine is built, and I get a tune for the HX40, then I'll turn the boost up and enjoy this thing a bit more. I am pretty pleased with the current state, knowing that it's only going to get better.

Your addicted now for sure, the HX40 IMHO is best suited for the 6.5td.

Wow Nate, that Tahoe will flat boogy! After seeing that video, I don't think I would want to be in the lane next to you! :D I'm thinking, I'd still need more fuel, and maybe some water/meth before I would want to face off against that beast! Very Nice.:)

Matt

Thanks Matt. I think I'm lucky that I don't have as much weight with the Tahoe. I need to get it weighed soon just to see how much weight I'm moving around. I'm excited to see how it moves once I can put other plans for the engine in motion! :cool:

Your addicted now for sure, the HX40 IMHO is best suited for the 6.5td.

Ha ha, you aren't kidding!! I bought the truck just over a year ago....and if you had told me when I bought it that I would have done the stuff I have done to it in a year's time I wouldn't have believed you. Some of the upgrades were due to parts failures, but it has been a fun journey so far. Now I just need to get a long block in it that won't eat itself up!

Thanks SS!! First off, your truck is awesome and because of you I strongly considered an HX35 for a while. I will get it weighed in the next couple days and post the results.

Thanks SS!! First off, your truck is awesome and because of you I strongly considered an HX35 for a while. I will get it weighed in the next couple days and post the results.

I love my HX35 but do notice that it runs a little high on cruising boost. A few pounds higher than what I would like. But After looking at how your truck moves I might want to go with the bigger hx40. I have also had an offer to try the ATT and I wonder if it would suit me better. My setup is different than most others with my gear ratio being 4.56 (for the 37 inch tires at the time, now running 35's). Im thinking of changing back to either the 3.73 or go to a 4.10. My truck is quick off the line but top end and cruising my RPM is a little high and lacking.

I love my HX35 but do notice that it runs a little high on cruising boost. A few pounds higher than what I would like. But After looking at how your truck moves I might want to go with the bigger hx40. I have also had an offer to try the ATT and I wonder if it would suit me better. My setup is different than most others with my gear ratio being 4.56 (for the 37 inch tires at the time, now running 35's). Im thinking of changing back to either the 3.73 or go to a 4.10. My truck is quick off the line but top end and cruising my RPM is a little high and lacking.
Yeah, the way yours comes out of the hole is what impressed me! And yeah, your combo is a bit different, so I looked at other combinations people had and decided I would go the HX40 direction. So far I'm not displeased with the results, but all I have to compare it to is the GM8.

Can someone help me I have a 6.5 1500 want to put different turbo on but truck is stock besides cold air intake and comments links to help me out for a turbo can I just take old one off and bolt hx40 or is there some modifications u have to do
Thanks! Yeah I thought it would help.

Codie, I am really into the HX35 as far as spooling goes. I personally wouldn't go any bigger on the turbine side but everybody else seems to spool up the 40's no problem. SO I guess it depends on application and other things. But with stock fueling I wouldnt go any bigger than a HX35 for a turbo upgrade. With more fueling you can get away with larger turbo's. But if any turbo is a T3 flange, it should bolt right to the manifold. But outside of the ATT, hardly any turbo is really "bolt on". There are kits to help but regardless, they still require a fair amount of fabrication.

So it is not like taking of old turbo and putting new on. Actually my turbo works its were it bolts up to I don't know if there is a gasket or not but I have air coming out there. Also can u just buy a new waste because mine has wire wrapped around it holding it open I guess from previous owner. I bought this truck in immaculant condition no rust no stain for cheap from one owner a month ago and have not had time to do anything to it besides change fuel filter. So any help would be appreciated and guidance because my other 2500 is the one I want to build up really

Well, since you are new, update your signature with what you drive so we can have an idea on how to help. If you click your ID in the top right of the page, you can go to signature and update it there. You can see mine and others as an example. And it could be leaking there. Mine never had a gasket stock, but I managed to get a hold of one. And you can go through Heath Diesel and buy a Turbomaster Wastegate Controller for fairly cheap and it should work good. Here is a link that shows both Turbomasters for the different years. http://heathdiesel.com/towing.html. And depending on year, if its wired, it is possibly wired shut, not open. I don't know why anybody would wire it open. Also, I would suggest a set of gauges. At the very least, boost and pryometer. They will help keep an eye on vitals and possibly help diagnose if something is wrong.

I know how to put boost gauge in how do you do pyrometer. I don't know a lot about 6.5 or diesels but gas I do. So I don't want to pay someone to do the work I want to learn on my own.

I just had the Tahoe weighed, and I'm kind of shocked at the weight....with a full tank of fuel, and subtracting my weight, it weighs 5700 pounds! :eek: I would have thought it was a good bit lighter than that, wow.

Back