• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My homemade catch can

The Burb's catch can is in the same place.

Am planning to add either stainless or brass scrubbers inside as it currently is just an open can. It does catch some oil as there is always something to suck-out when I do oil changes. But I am still seeing oil residue inside the intake and am looking to see if I can lower the amount.

I haven’t put but about 30 miles on it since I did it but I think it’s going to work pretty good. I bet if you fill the canister full of the scrubbers it would catch a little more oil. I was able to get 3 of the stainless scrubbers in there.

I finished reading the other thread on this and it seems like it does pretty good at catching a lot of the oil before it enters the intake but mine is a high blow by engine and his wasn’t, so we are going to see just how much oil it will catch on this locomotive that is wrapped in a Chevy body.

did you use gapless rings??

The re-seller I bought the P-400 from talked me out of gapless rings, so No.

Do regret not having the gapless rings. But am glad that it was not done. There was enough that went wrong with that initial installation experience from the finger-pointing that ensued and the lack of interest in reporting a possible defect issue to the manufacturer. So they would have raised another level of questions as to whether things were done right.

And have you herd that your builder is out of business ???

Am not seeing a bankruptcy filing, but am seeing where their web site is offline and their corporate holding status in Delaware was possibly withdrawn. Not sure if it was the economy, or the quality of service. I gave Jody a heads-up about quality of service and their not wanting to take ownership of events when I started to see a parallel in issues when he re-powered the RV a year after I did the Burb.

@JayTheCPA from what I have been told through other places it was a forced kind of thing due to what you & I & a couple others I know about went through, I caught them attempting to defraud me and proved it to AMG, and called them on it and they were removed from AMG's vendor list.... I for one am happy to see it and I think my dealings with the state attorney general may have had something to do with it, if nothing else it added to it... never say never !!

@JayTheCPA from what I have been told through other places it was a forced kind of thing due to what you & I & a couple others I know about went. . .

Not surprised. I was at a decsion point of litigation or walk. The litigation would have cost me about the same as the damages I might have recovered, so it was a 'wash' and the only reason to litigate in that situation is for simple vindictiveness. Life is too short for me to live that way so I tend to walk away and let karma take over.

And perhaps my conversation with AMG about the reportable incident that was held back from them might have played into the situation as well.

Gotta love karma :)

Actually, I feel sorry for the marine industry as they apparently were not aware of the issues from what I could tell. Now they have to figure out how to get a 6.5 in their Albin and other bays. Perhaps Leroy might come to the rescue and pro-actively start reaching out to the different boating communities to let them know there is a reliable 6.5 supplier in the market :)

OH yea, I do know they aren't the ones that fabed Jody's manifold, I know what shop did....

Who ever they apparently used for the customized P-400 oil pans did an even worse job on them than what was done on Jody's manifolds. Those sumps were pure-and-simple-low-quality and the start of issues I had with that vendor.

I kept those suckers as evidence just in case . . .

See, this is where our legal society sucks. They did some stuff wrong, somebody comes and gives a good ol fashion woopin. Then they fix his stuff. About the 3rd or 4th time, they will decide it is too painful to keep doing wrong. Then they quit doing wrong or just quit all together. Maybe they learn to just do the job right and everyone is better off long term.

If a feller is not a fighter but has need and is in the right, there is always some one that can walk in a give a lickin to who needs it. But you can go through hundreds of people that together cant come up with the cash to fight legally.

Hamilton Burr. Look it up. This country used be allowed to do things right.

How come you guys didn’t put out info about them rippin you off? if you did how did I miss it? Upset that I sent them $ and sent some others to them on the waterpumps and such.

Along with the boat guys, there are various places around the country that need Hummer mechanics. And Hummers run same engine and trans as pickups. Rest is not crazy complicated. Hummer owners are like boat owners- about half of them have the nickles to fix things right. They just need to know they aren’t getting ripped off.

How come you guys didn’t put out info about them rippin you off? if you did how did I miss it? Upset that I sent them $ and sent some others to them on the waterpumps and such.

Will, I did know about Jay's problem and he knew about mine, we had a few email corespondents between us.

I didn't start a thread about any of it because.. well to be blunt here... folks would have seen it as bashing, or bad mouthing, or me trying to run down one shop while maybe getting customers for my own work, or what ever else.. I have shown a lot of MY custom projects here and on other forums and for the most part 99% of the readers consider my type of projects pointless, too costly, not worth it, etc... so I have quit attempting to bring any 20th century tech to most forums, I'll just keep my projects to myself, and heaven forbid when I'm done later this year and the dyno shows what can/could be, those same folks will say the result's are false, so I just aint gonna bother... wow, I guess I had to get that off my chest LOL...

Not surprised. I was at a decsion point of litigation or walk. The litigation would have cost me about the same as the damages I might have recovered, so it was a 'wash' and the only reason to litigate in that situation is for simple vindictiveness. Life is too short for me to live that way so I tend to walk away and let karma take over.

And perhaps my conversation with AMG about the reportable incident that was held back from them might have played into the situation as well.

Gotta love karma :)

Actually, I feel sorry for the marine industry as they apparently were not aware of the issues from what I could tell. Now they have to figure out how to get a 6.5 in their Albin and other bays. Perhaps Leroy might come to the rescue and pro-actively start reaching out to the different boating communities to let them know there is a reliable 6.5 supplier in the market :)

Who ever they apparently used for the customized P-400 oil pans did an even worse job on them than what was done on Jody's manifolds. Those sumps were pure-and-simple-low-quality and the start of issues I had with that vendor.

I kept those suckers as evidence just in case . . .

I know Jay, I offered to help Jody and he chose to send them back, they hit them with a grinder and called it good, Jody's headers will leak again me thinks... and I know the shop they used, not personally tho so I won't speak badly, their work speaks for itself in my book...

And the boat people have much to chose from for repowers, others are far ahead of the 6.x in a boat...

Yeah, I am with AK. I voice my opinion that I dont think some things help enough to be worth cost, but that’s based on my current economic situation. If someone figures out a way to make 1 hp and it costs $10,000, I love to hear it shared. Not worth it to me, but maybe to someone. Also it sparks interest and promores thought.

When I was blasting propane and nos or straight oxygen into diesels back in the late 80’s, people said I was stupid. 2 of those 3 are crazy common now. Tons of great ideas are parlayed from conversations of other things all the time. You sharing ideas about porting, coating, etc- there is NO WAY anyone should consider you are only trying to make money. You taught how to do it, where to buy the stuff, etc.

Try to not let people bring you down. PLEASE continue to share.

There are guys here that work on pickups for money, and don’t get chased off. If you were posting a price list and chasing sells, then it would be fair if you get sells to pay “X” amount to the forum as advertising. The Hummer forum for instance just says do a one time donation each time someone sells something through it like selling used rims or parts in the for Sale section. A business has normal vendor fees. It has worked amazingly well for years and is still growing.

There is a owner there that is about to become a vendor building major body parts to turn an open top into a wagon or slantback for instance. He started by a thread showing him building a couple tops for paying people. He kicked in a little to the forum on those sells.

Now if for instance someone decided to have you coat and build a p400 for him, and he only learned of you from this forum- and you refuse to kick in- yeah unfair. But the Forum owner needs a way for people to do “one off” payments and not mandate high yearly charges only imo.

I get what your saying about sounding like you are bashing the other company. I just feel bad to have sent any money their way if they were ripping people off.

Please don't lump us all in the same category. I may not be able to afford the things you do but it doesn't mean I can't drool . I'm all for seeing what the 6.5 is capable of.

I'm not AK, over the years it gets old when a few that aren't here anymore, but some are, and are on other forums continue playing games.. For some unless you use junk yard style "upgrades" no one cares.. I know everyone can't afford to do this type of work, but lets face it, if all someone can do is scab something together and most others think it just the greatest thing going it just makes me wonder ..

Kinda like when a thread comes up about turbos, the talk turns to the ATT being a magical fix that can't be beat, I mention a hybrid holest and it gets talked down about, well I only know of a couple that has even run one set up the same way I did and they make the same claim I do..

I don't show certain things for a couple of reasons, I have spent the money to do the r&r and unsavy people will take that info and start selling it themselves, I decided that if anyone else wants to profit on something they can do the r&r themselves...

My above post was some what a rant and not directed towards anyone...

IMO & not meant to offend anyone, "any R&D focused upon making $$$$$$$$ should always consider if their is a market for any particular item."

I see mystery GM 6.5 diesel performance hard parts on the market that the seller will not divulge specs on to the buyer which makes the smart buyer like me go to the entity that does its that simple.

I could name some of the parts I refer to but by now the smart ones know what they are and avoid them.

I'm not AK, over the years it gets old when a few that aren't here anymore, but some are, and are on other forums continue playing games.. For some unless you use junk yard style "upgrades" no one cares.. I know everyone can't afford to do this type of work, but lets face it, if all someone can do is scab something together and most others think it just the greatest thing going it just makes me wonder ..

Kinda like when a thread comes up about turbos, the talk turns to the ATT being a magical fix that can't be beat, I mention a hybrid holest and it gets talked down about, well I only know of a couple that has even run one set up the same way I did and they make the same claim I do..

I don't show certain things for a couple of reasons, I have spent the money to do the r&r and unsavy people will take that info and start selling it themselves, I decided that if anyone else wants to profit on something they can do the r&r themselves...

My above post was some what a rant and not directed towards anyone...

This be true.

I suggest you 'make a kit' that's bolt on in the same price range and sell it or have Leroy sell it.

Regardless there are trade offs going with larger turbo's. The ATT being huge is a pretty in your face example of this. Took quite a bit for people to understand that it simply needed RPM to light off. (No not spool, lag, etc. It simply won't light from a dig at less than 2000 RPM. Then hang on! Quit lugging the damn engine with a ATT. :facepalm: ) I am personally resentful of the ignorance and bashing of the turbo, because, back in the day it was about the only turbo out there and more importantly not having it cost me a fortune in fuel from towing grades here with the Asthma Attack GM3. 7 MPG when you are supposed to be at 10 MPG comes off my table and made it below minimum wage earnings when it all added up. Fuel was followed by 2500 Mile oil changes for expense size. ATT is not perfect as shown by the Spool Valve and Yank threads of mine, but, it is night and day over the Asthma Attack. IMO the ATT treats me well and did what I needed it to do. It more than paid for itself with fuel savings. Just wish I could have found info on it sooner. The other mentioned company did a horrible job marketing a 'towing turbo' - had to trip over it on their webpage years later after buying surplus parts there over the years and not seeing it.

Wading through the BS and censorship made it difficult to find out about it. Only thing that was suggested in the day is the near useless Turbo Master. Useless IMO because it improved speed pulling, but, same miserable MPG and this be the important part: BETTER MPG SOLUTIONS WERE OUT THERE.

Other options are now available and looking at @n8in8or 1/4 mile times... I don't see a bolt on kit... Turbo trash talk stops when MPG, dyno rollers, track times, or tractor pulls, show something. Your market would be Hummers, people who want the 6.5 because of the rig it's in, but not those who bought a 6.5 cheap because they can't afford something else.

Again we, and specifically myself, enjoy others like yourself posting up new technology on these engines. I suggest you can't take my bad attitude toward them, 4 Low through the mud, as you may sell stuff. Even if we would disagree (can't think of a way we do) it is interesting to see your results. Flatland vs. extreme grades and heat I have I forget to factor in a lot...

Just remember because of people like you introducing improvements we have many ways to make what was a crap engine and platform (cooling) on par with the early Duramax engines. And it costs less. Hummers are different but same engine and worse cooling.

Y'all I don't sell anything other than a service (head work & coatings) I'm not trying nor going to, this isn't about that at all, I have a good regular day job so let me be clear on that. I will keep my rants to myself ...

Back